Windows 10

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Confirmed that WSUS still works, and still lets you control whether you install automatically or download only.

Unfortunately, I confirmed this by updating directly from MS Update, and got a new nVidia driver. gg me.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Confirmed that WSUS still works, and still lets you control whether you install automatically or download only.

Unfortunately, I confirmed this by updating directly from MS Update, and got a new nVidia driver. gg me.
MS better not break that, or I'm staying with 7 on my desktop. Having to fight Windows Update on drivers would be a massive pain in the ass.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Certainly I'm not the only one that has had updates break my system? I usually do a full wipe and reload every few months. I update the system to the latest atthatpoint in time, but then don't bother updating afterwards.
Earlier versions had the vanishing start menu which forced me to format a few times b/c i was too derp to use classic shell, but otherwise its been smooth outside the video drivers forced updating.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
MS better not break that, or I'm staying with 7 on my desktop. Having to fight Windows Update on drivers would be a massive pain in the ass.
If you don't use a custom setup (such as your own WSUS), you cannot defer updates forever or control what you get/don't get, to a great extent, so you should probably stick with 7 at this point. I suspect that they'll do a 180 some time soon as there is a large community of people getting angry about the nVidia driver alone.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Sticking with 7 seems to work alright during the era of 'Your PC is really a tablet, you just don't know it yet. Welcome to Windows 8'.

Jokes aside I do plan on upgrading but I will definitely look into using WSUS on my PC.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
This... i had no idea this was going away!!! Now i'm really debating not updating, free or not. After all win 7 is supported till 2020 anyway.

The death of the HTPC
A lot of people out there are not willing to give up on Windows 7 because of Windows Media Center?Microsoft?s entertainment PC software. Microsoft released an updated version of WMC with Windows 7, but only kept the old version for Windows 8 and 8.1. Then in May, Microsoft gave WMC its marching papers, saying the aging software would not be compatible with Windows 10.

?Windows Media Center is vital to my home theater experience on my four TV-attached PCs,? says Gayle Snedecor, a chemical engineer based in Houston, Texas. ?They all cooperatively record all I ask them to on four network attached ATSC tuners and four satellite boxes, then share what they?ve recorded to the other ones. I can stream Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. through add-ins. I have screensavers of all my family photos, and have my 30,000 tune library immediately available on either one. I have access to all my movies through ripped DVDs and Windows Home Server.?

Eric Dunn of Stafford, Virginia offers a similar set-up.
?I use [WMC] with a six tuner card and a cable card from my provider of choice,? he says. ?I can then stream directly (even locked programs, like HBO) to any Xbox in my house. I effectively have four HD set top boxes in my house without having to pay the $15-$20 for each of them. I can expand how much I want to record by simply adding external terabyte drives to my set up. That doesn?t even get into the portability of the shows, the ability to get add-ons that will edit out commercials if you wish, how you can modify the fast forward/instant rewind times, and how intelligent WMC is in recording shows you may have missed at the next opportunity.?

Nearly 25 percent of people we talked to via email cited WMC as the biggest reason not to move to Windows 10. That likely doesn?t reflect WMC?s popularity on a global or even national scale, but among the enthusiast community WMC is clearly a big deal.

Taken from a good read:
Why diehard users refuse to move to Windows 10:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/29528...indows-10.html

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This... i had no idea this was going away!!! Now i'm really debating not updating, free or not. After all win 7 is supported till 2020 anyway.
Yeah but those guys are the fringe of the fringe and now that it won't be standard in 10 there will probably be a solution soon enough to not need it.

That kind of thing shouldn't be baked into an OS anyways, it should be a standalone application.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Do you record television a_skeleton_03 or just torrent all your shows?
Right now it is 100% automated torrents with Sonarr, it might as well be a TiVo it is so seamless.

I have done the recording back in the day before and wasn't a fan.

HDHomeRun - Watch TV anywhere in your home

^-- this will solve all their problems and tie into a multitude of different software platforms. The people using WMC still are doing so because they are running old setups and are usually unable to figure out how to upgrade to newer setups. A lot of people complained about their old .wtv files not working in the future also but I think a recent update to VLC makes them play.

Microsoft is making the right move. Something like this baked into the OS is not the way to go. There are tons of different hardware and software solutions that are infinitely better than WMC if people take a couple seconds to branch out from their old methods. Why would MS want to keep an entire SKU updated and safe from bugs?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Certainly I'm not the only one that has had updates break my system? I usually do a full wipe and reload every few months. I update the system to the latest atthatpoint in time, but then don't bother updating afterwards.
I've never had an update break a system; this happening is almost certainly due to your system being infected by malware.

Anyone actually getting the notification to install? On the two systems I didn't run the beta have not received notifications and AFAICT have not started to download files.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
for the users, i bet its mainly, it works, why should i change.

i had to delete all the files in windows\softwaredistribution\downloads in order for the win10 upgrade to work at home- finished @ umm 2am.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Not touching this pile of steaming crap with a ten foot pole for at minimum, a year.

Have fun boys. Please keep this thread active with your horror stories. I am bored at work today.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Who the hell records TV shows? Just subscribe to a $5/month Usenet service and download what you want.
The wife is not big on me doing stuff that is technically illegal so I don't really have that option, otherwise I definitely would take the time to do something like a_skeleton_03 does.

I am one of the people running WMC on an HTPC with a Ceton cable card and streaming to Xboxes around the home. It's pretty seemless in that regard so I've never really looked into alternatives. I guess you use something like Plex to get it to the Xboxes otherwise?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The wife is not big on me doing stuff that is technically illegal so I don't really have that option, otherwise I definitely would take the time to do something like a_skeleton_03 does.

I am one of the people running WMC on an HTPC with a Ceton cable card and streaming to Xboxes around the home. It's pretty seemless in that regard so I've never really looked into alternatives. I guess you use something like Plex to get it to the Xboxes otherwise?
With the HDHomerun you can get it through to other devices with all kinds of options. Specifically an Xbox? I am not sure but you can probably look it up fairly easily. Look into MythTV. I think it just spits out a DLNA stream so you could just pick it up with that. I haven't touched this method in years so I am not the best one to ask. The cordcutting thread might have more info.

Upgraded at midnight, not a single issue. Everything working great.

Samsung Series 7 Chronos.

Actually I lied, I had one issue. Start8 obviously was meant to replace the start menu and it keeps doing that so just rename the directory or something and everything works fine.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Confirmed that WSUS already has two categories for Windows 10: "Windows 10 and later drivers" and "Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers". Not sure what the difference is between the two. Also, Windows 10 enterprise isn't yet available for download, not sure when it goes live.