Windows 10

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They're not putting out an ISO of it yet. They're forcing Insiders to upgrade from the last available build.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
On the fast insider setting I had that build available this morning, took about as long to install as the original did.

In case anyone is setting up a box, I compiled this list of stuff that annoyed me and how to change it:

Disable Web Search
Start, type random gibberish. Click Cog, turn offInclude web search results

Default Browser
Start > Settings. System > Default apps.

Shrink Start Menu
drag edge to make narrower (may need to remove tiles first)

Disable Lock Screen Splash (pointless keystrokes or clicks)
Remove Search Bar
Right click taskbar, Search > Hidden

Remove Task Switcher
Right click taskbar, Show Task View button

Snap Behaviour
Start > Settings. System > Multitasking disableWhen I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it

Privacy
Start > Settings. Privacy
General
  • advertising id (tracking)
  • how I type (tracking, pw leakage?)
  • language list (tracking)
Location - turn off
Account Info - turn off sharing
Contacts - turn off
Messaging - turn off
Background apps - turn off
Camera / Microphone - turn off

Enable Hibernate
Control Panel > Power Options > Choose What Buttons Do. Shutdown Settings. (may need to do powercfg -h on)

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you're supposed to leave Hibernate off if you have an SSD.
AFAIK your RAM is only written to disk when the hibernate occurs and people aren't typically hitting the daily write rating anyway. Hibernation is interesting on systems with pre-Haswell CPUs, their sleep states weren't as efficient and at this point the batteries are a couple years old, so if you're looking to drag out your battery life...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is there a way to make the windows 10 sign up to happen on my pc? My other pc got it but my laptop just hasn't had the icon show up

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you are using Win7, you need to have Sp1 installed. Windows 8 needs to be at 8.1. The file is downloaded through windows update, so it is possible you may have modified the settings to show only specific types of updates. Go into the windows update UI and then change settings, and make sure that you are receiving updates for confirmation and microsoft software updates. It should show up after downloading/updating files and restarting the pc.

Also, if your laptop is running one of the enterprise versions of windows, apparently it isn't supported for the free upgrade programs.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I just got a new 500gb SSD, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and install 10 on it instead of 7?

My worry is that a lot of programs won't work on it initially. Is it worth doing?

I'm mostly trying to avoid calling the Microsoft thing (not that it's that inconvenient) since my key is OEM.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you are using Win7, you need to have Sp1 installed. Windows 8 needs to be at 8.1. The file is downloaded through windows update, so it is possible you may have modified the settings to show only specific types of updates. Go into the windows update UI and then change settings, and make sure that you are receiving updates for confirmation and microsoft software updates. It should show up after downloading/updating files and restarting the pc.

Also, if your laptop is running one of the enterprise versions of windows, apparently it isn't supported for the free upgrade programs.
Thanks I'll check it out. I'm on ultimate for both computers, so I'll see if I messed with update settings.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Anyone running 3200x1800 QHD lappy tried Windows 10? Does it scale better, fonts and stuff?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Nvidia drivers are the biggest issue I've had. Damn things have a tendency to stop responding.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Additional annoyance I've run into... Open start menu, type any search. Delete your search, note you are not back on the application list nor is there anyway to go back. Get f'd Microsoft.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hah no matter what i do can't get the win 10 preload, even ran some scripts that said I'm fully compatible. FUCK IT TORRENTING IT

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Allegedly they're rolling it out in stages. They're not going to update everyone interested right on the 29th. May be affecting you.

I finally figured out a problem I was having with linking my local acct to my ms acct in Win10. I have MS authenticator on my mobile, and each time the request to authenticate was sent to my mobile app the desktop app would crash. I removed the authenticator from the account and it sailed through. Not a single mention of the authenticator on anything I googled to solve the problem. Re-added my authenticator after, but still puzzled why they wouldn't have prepared for that.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Additional annoyance I've run into... Open start menu, type any search. Delete your search, note you are not back on the application list nor is there anyway to go back. Get f'd Microsoft.
What, you mean... there's no way, other than hitting the Windows key?

Are you that stubborn that you'll delete your search, but you won't hit a single key to get back to where you want to be? Hell, you don't even have to delete your search. Just hit the Windows key and you're back to the start menu (and your search is cancelled).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Uh. Okay. Ctrl-Esc, if you're that guy. But, honestly, unless you're constantly fat-fingering the Windows key while gaming fullscreen, who deactivates it anymore?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
But, honestly, unless you're constantly fat-fingering the Windows key while gaming fullscreen
Yes. But my keyboard has a physical switch to turn it off and I just never bother turning it on. So it's laziness for the most part.