Windows 10

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Unfortunately, we can't all eat caviar daily when most games require a shit sandwich.

At least the bread doesn't look mouldy from here.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
This is why they are skipping the name Windows 9:

Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")) { /* 95 and 98 */ } else {

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.
Basically, this snippet of code is used in tons of 3rd party software that is compatible with multiple Windows versions.

Seems like the simplest explanation, although I'm sure distancing themselves from Windows 8 doesn't hurt.

Siliconemelons

Basically, this snippet of code is used in tons of 3rd party software that is compatible with multiple Windows versions.

Seems like the simplest explanation, although I'm sure distancing themselves from Windows 8 doesn't hurt.
Code shortcuts always cause the most random odd reasons for doing things... at least they saw it and prepared for it ahead of time :p

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

God I just shit my pants reading that explanation. Such lazy programming

Edit: Windows 10 preview for ARM devices isn't coming until later

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Completely plausible. Programmers are lazy as fuck when it comes to this kind of thing. We run into this a lot at work with lazy LDAP queries/WMI filters/etc, especially with things like OS versions.

Rumour also had it that they wanted to call this version "Windows One" (a la Xbox One), but that they couldn't due to old versioning. At what point do you just say "well, fuck it, if there's software written for Windows 1.0, we don't give a shit"?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Installed 10 last night in a Hyper-V and it's pretty sweet. UI all around is smoother, windows have a nice fade in/out, etc. New start menu is pretty slick. You can drag resize it and add or remove basically as many tiles as you want to it. Being able to run modern apps on the desktop makes them more useful, but they still have some minimum sizes; can't resize them to just anything you want quite yet.

One thing I really like is that MS finally fucking added native virtual desktops. It's about time.

IMO regarding the name they missed the potential of just simplifying to "Windows." No one gives a fuck about version numbers, and it would really bring home their plan to unify all devices.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Assuming the above is true, though, they'd have destroyed a bunch of lazy queries, Lenas. Looks bad for PR.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I mean you can have a version number available in the code so you don't fuck up queries, but the '10' doesn't need to be part of their branding or marketing.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider

Someone posted that code snippet on imgur and people who called it clever and inventive were getting upvotes. I called it terrifying and insane and got downvoted. WTF is wrong with people?

Siliconemelons

gotcha, I look forward to the ARM version...but isn't having an ARM and x86 version contrary to the point? or will the ARM compatability just be overall unified into the system... it would be awesome to make my surface rt 2 "a real boy"

this may actually increase the value of the RT surfaces if you can get w10 on em and they are full fledged machines (hardware limitations not withstanding)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
ARM chips can't natively run x86 code. No amount of software will make that happen. There will always have to be two builds for the two different architectures.

After Skylake-M I don't really expect anyone to ever make an ARM Windows tablet again so it's kinda moot going forward.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It depends.. Skylake will be great but ARM is a completely different beast. There are so many ARM variants out there that are evolving everyday. That said, if they can find a common architecture that has similar price and performance points to ARM then that is it.

x86/64 code will never run on ARM though, that will always be true. The architectures are way different.

Microsoft's versioning scheme is way out of date. They should just use a roman numeral for the number 10 and then for each incremental release don't use a dot number which is confusing lets just all admit that right now. Just call each release afterwards a succession of popular animals in a genus. For example: Microsoft OS X Husky, Microsoft OS X Labrador, etc..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It depends.. Skylake will be great but ARM is a completely different beast. There are so many ARM variants out there that are evolving everyday. That said, if they can find a common architecture that has similar price and performance points to ARM then that is it.

x86/64 code will never run on ARM though, that will always be true. The architectures are way different.
People will still make ARM tablets. They just won't make ARM Windows tablets. They're already of dubious usefulness as it is.