Windows 10

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So I'm kind of confused some places I'm reading Windows 10 is free if you get it in the first year and will remain free. Other places I'm seeing that it's free for 1 year then you need to purchase your copy. Who's telling the truth here?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I'm kind of confused some places I'm reading Windows 10 is free if you get it in the first year and will remain free. Other places I'm seeing that it's free for 1 year then you need to purchase your copy. Who's telling the truth here?
The upgrade is free if you get it within the first year.
Permanently. They have also said, you will not need to keep your old Win7/8 copies.

rrr_img_99625.png

rrr_img_99627.png

rrr_img_99626.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, that's interesting. Gonna be a little bit of a pain that first day.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Do all versions of windows upgrade to the same version of windows 10? I.e. Would a windows 7 key get me the same result as windows 8.1 pro?

Siliconemelons

If you don't need your 7/8/8.1 key...and it does not?? give you a "new key" it just upgrades-- what hardware ID's is it attaching itself to? CPU...Mobo? both? what if I upgrade...how much is considered "a new pc"?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
If you don't need your 7/8/8.1 key...and it does not?? give you a "new key" it just upgrades-- what hardware ID's is it attaching itself to? CPU...Mobo? both? what if I upgrade...how much is considered "a new pc"?
This...
I just upgraded my machine so I'm good for another five years (yeah I'm cheap like that), but still I'd like to know.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
most likely mac address

iannis

Musty Nester
I had to replace a motherboard one time and windows wouldn't reinstall. And that's when I finally abandoned WindowsXP.

I think that's the difference between an OEM copy and a regular key/license? I really dunno, but I do remember something about that when I was all "wtf?" about it when it happened.

So they're giving you a 1shot free upgrade? Which still isn't a super crappy deal.

Siliconemelons

I know that the Dells we get at work have the keys built into their bios or something..

if it was MAC (I would assume that would be the simplest unique ID to xfer quickly over the internet activation) that would be a fleeting piece of hardware to associate your Windows key with- esp with how flakey some onboard cards can be... I do not know the exact science behind hardware hashing- but my point is... a year down the road I want a new CPU and some more ram...and a new 802.11XTRZMZZ wifi card- those three changes would be well enough to jack up any hardware hash that my key would be associated with- they need to communicate what it "is" that auths so if that changes people can do a carry over request... This also would be helpful information for the tech support community so when someone walks in and is like "I just upgraded my......and now windows is not activated!"

Also if its mobo related- I know personally if my motherboard starts sending flags of fail (USBs start, memory slots start failing or bluescreening etc etc.) I am just going to replace just the mobo because I am cheap nor need to buy a new system... just...give people a key.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had to replace a motherboard one time and windows wouldn't reinstall. And that's when I finally abandoned WindowsXP.

I think that's the difference between an OEM copy and a regular key/license? I really dunno, but I do remember something about that when I was all "wtf?" about it when it happened.

So they're giving you a 1shot free upgrade? Which still isn't a super crappy deal.
Does no one else call the automated activation number over the phone? I have haddozensof failed activation attempts after changing hardware and simply call the 800 number for that automated service and just be sure to enter "0" when it asks "How many computers has this copy been installed on" or something to that effect. Gives you an activation code over the phone immediately after.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes you people are pretty bad at breaking Microsoft licensing agreements...

Also it is keyed on a combination of hardware IDs not any particular one item. I've had to call to reset oem on just processor, hd config switching to raid controller with new HDs and mobo.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'd pay to have a bunch of Windows features cut from my installation. :p

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It is a little lame that native DVD playback was cut from Windows, since I was actually hoping they would ADD native blu-ray playback.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
VLC is fine. Unless, you know, you're Sean.

xadion, you're probably using KMS at work, and therefore the VL copy of Windows, which has the KMS key built-in. There is no such thing as Windows keys built in to a BIOS.