Windows 10

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Thanks, I saw that and might make use of it. I was half-venting, but it's ridiculous that in 2015 you can't just buy a key from MS right from the activation screen in the OS itself.
Oh for sure, it's a big failure on MS's part. I wholeheartedly agree the only reason I posted was because you mentioned you can't find good keys and there was gogusrl just a couple posts above
biggrin.png

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Random issue with W10 on my HTPC. HTPC worked perfectly fine with W8.1 but since the upgrade, every time I reboot the stupid thing it fails to pull an IP from DHCP on my router. The thing goes with a default Windows IP and will not connect to the network. Resetting my switch at the same time as my HTPC seems to be the only fix. Fucking annoying to say the least.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Random issue with W10 on my HTPC. HTPC worked perfectly fine with W8.1 but since the upgrade, every time I reboot the stupid thing it fails to pull an IP from DHCP on my router. The thing goes with a default Windows IP and will not connect to the network. Resetting my switch at the same time as my HTPC seems to be the only fix. Fucking annoying to say the least.
Maybe check for a network card driver from the manufacturer.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah that definitely sounds like a network card issue vs a Windows issue. I doubt your router is the cause either, but that would be the 2nd place I'd check. Is the network card configured to grab the setting automatically?

Also, check to make sure Windows didn't replace your old driver too. Because I had that happen on my laptop trackpad and the new driver didn't play so nice with my system. Had to use MS's tool to block it from downloading.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Why the FUCK can't I save edits to image files? I'm the fucking administrator. Fuck you windows 10.

Jovec

?
Thanks, I saw that and might make use of it. I was half-venting, but it's ridiculous that in 2015 you can't just buy a key from MS right from the activation screen in the OS itself.
This shit is comical now. I bought another reddit key for 8.1 Pro (same buyer/price) as last time. The older key activated (back when I bought it) and allowed me to add the $10 Media Center upgrade. The new key activated but doesn't allow the option to buy Media Center (for m-card TV). Apparently the new keys are VL keys that don't allow for it. No idea what the older keys were that did. I also went down to Staples to buy a Chromecast just to tide the wife over, but they aren't stocking them anymore in anticipation of the new model coming soon.

I have some options involving swapping keys around to different machines, and upgrading some older 7 keys to W10, but I'm just too lazy. Or wait for Newegg to ship out an OEM version. Again, a valid key from MS would have been insta-buy inside the OS to avoid all this BS.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Windows media center has been removed from Windows 10 I believe, just an FYI if you update.

Jovec

?
Windows media center has been removed from Windows 10 I believe, just an FYI if you update.
Yes it has, which is why I need my HTPC to stay Win8.1. It sucks, but Media Center is the only game in town for cable-card TV. Silicon Dust had a kickstarter to develop an alternative (since their business is based around Media Center), but who knows if and when that would work. If I didn't need Media Center, I'd probably be running Kodi/XBMC on Linux. Sports are the other factor keeping me on cable TV - I'm not sure what legit options there are for watching football via streaming, but when I looked into the Lakers streaming package the NBA apparently blocks the local market from streaming the games (to protect the local TV broadcasters I suppose).

I figured it would be a simple upgrade to move from 7 to 8.1 since I just upgraded the hardware, but I guess I was wrong. The Reddit seller gave me a new key that allows for the Media Center upgrade, so it looks like I'm finally good to go.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Yes it has, which is why I need my HTPC to stay Win8.1. It sucks, but Media Center is the only game in town for cable-card TV. Silicon Dust had a kickstarter to develop an alternative (since their business is based around Media Center), but who knows if and when that would work. If I didn't need Media Center, I'd probably be running Kodi/XBMC on Linux. Sports are the other factor keeping me on cable TV - I'm not sure what legit options there are for watching football via streaming, but when I looked into the Lakers streaming package the NBA apparently blocks the local market from streaming the games (to protect the local TV broadcasters I suppose).

I figured it would be a simple upgrade to move from 7 to 8.1 since I just upgraded the hardware, but I guess I was wrong. The Reddit seller gave me a new key that allows for the Media Center upgrade, so it looks like I'm finally good to go.
I've been beta testing the silicon dust dvr software, its pretty good so far, no drm channels yet and they have stated that they'll miss their oct release date but I'm switching to it as soon as drm is live. I've already moved most recordings over to it and dropped two htpcs in favor of nexus players and have got a nvidia shield on the main TV now that I'm slowly training the wife on

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone have an Xbox controller ALWAYS show up in their device manager and fuck up games because there isn't one actually plugged in? Disabling it doesn't work, it still takes over all the controls in games. Uninstalling it works until I reboot/power off then it just shows back up and does the same thing.

Googling for anything related to Windows + xbox controller is a mess of garbage about wireless adapters that I don't care about =\

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Windows 10 is killing me with driver problems. There is some kind of issue with my wifi driver (Bigfoot Networks KillerN-1103) that is causing massive instability. It started off causing BSOD crashes with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL about once a week, which I could live with. Suddenly, after the last round of updates, I began to BSOD consistently 10 seconds after logging into Windows. The drivers claim to be up to date, and I can't even attempt to uninstall the existing drivers and remove the Bigfoot network management software without a hard crash. The best I've been able to do is disabling the wifi card entirely in the device manager and switching to an ethernet cable, which defeats the whole purpose of this being a portable device.

Argh. None of this was an issue with Windows 7 and new drivers haven't been issued in months.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
My laptop refuses to stay awake regardless of what power settings I choose in the system, advanced, registry or the program the ships with the unit. I've uninstalled the original power management program that ships with the asus laptop, reset the settings in every possible config and rebooted a million times in between to no avail. I'm about to start try and start fresh and see if that works.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have the opposite problem. My SP2 won't stay in sleep mode. Something is interrupting it as soon as it goes to sleep. There's also this bug that makes the SP2 idle at 30-60% until I manually end the process.

I asked MS tech how to revert back to Win 8.1 because the instructions online didn't work. They couldn't revert it back for whatever reason, so they are sending me a new device with Win 8.1 preinstalled for free.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
My laptop refuses to stay awake regardless of what power settings I choose in the system, advanced, registry or the program the ships with the unit. I've uninstalled the original power management program that ships with the asus laptop, reset the settings in every possible config and rebooted a million times in between to no avail. I'm about to start try and start fresh and see if that works.
Once it goes to the lock screen, it'll power off the display within 1 minute unless you change some local policy setting.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
No lock screen it is disabled via registry.

Anyway, I've had a ton of issues with my upgrade. Newest and straw that broke the camels back was my ethernet connection suddenly stopped working and showed "unknown network". I tried everything from restarts on the router and pc to setting up a static IP to updating network drivers etc. Nothing worked. WiFi would work fine, just not ethernet. Given the shut down issue I was having and a few other minor complaints I did a full roll back to fresh.

First roll back got stuck in a BSOD at restart after i installed AVAST. Rolled back again. Installed AVG and now everything is working flawlessly.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Haven't used any antivirus in years. I don't think you need it anymore. I even heard Leo Laporte say the same a couple days ago.