Windows 10

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
So my (logitech 502) mouse speed suddenly cut in half the first time I loaded a game, but I notice when the XBOX BAR is on screen it doubles again. I disabled the XBOX BAR (just turning off the DVR option seems to remove the popup) but my mouse speed stays slower and feels inconsistent, as if acceleration or DPI scaling were on.

I think I can file all that under "it'll patch eventually" since the threads I saw on the subject were just making guesses all over the place.

And swing and a miss with windows update options once again. If my machine shuts itself off on its own at 3am for a patch, I'd rather it just stay off. Or even better, reboot to finish patching and then shut down.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What game is it? That sounds like something inside the game, since when the game loses focus and you've got the Xbox DVR up, it works normally.

Make sure you turn off 'enhance mouse precision' in the oldschool mouse options in the old-style control panel.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Desktop, games, everything. Unless the bar is up. Once the bar comes up for the first time, mouse speed is cut in half everywhere else.

Come to think of it, I have not yet checked if turning off the DVR option fixed this once I restart.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Weird, I've got the same mouse, and I have Xbox DVR installed. Do you have the mouse set to use onboard settings or 'automatic game detection.' Do you have the logitech G software installed?

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Did the update and I could not log into the PC. if I typed my password it would freeze and then reboot. Tried my microsoft account password and would get a password error "wrong password" tried the original password on the PC and I would get the freeze reboot problem.

I fortunately had made a backup of my HD and rolled back by swapping to the backup. I did some research it's a known problem. I hear there is a patch coming soon I will try again later. But I would really recommend backing up your old HD just in case so if you have a problem it's literally 3 minutes to roll back by swapping HD's

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So.... let's say I reinstalled Windows 10 and forgot to write down the stupid product code (what really happened is I asked SOMEONE to write it down and what they wrote down is 4 fields of numbers when it should be 5), has anyone had any luck getting the code from MS? I really don't want to have to do the other thing if I can avoid it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The code is meaningless. It's a generic key. What matters is that your hardware hash registered with the activation server.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If a machine has had Windows 10 on it at any point, it'll reactivate automatically after a reinstall.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Yep, the laptop I just bought came with Windows 10. I swapped in an SSD, installed Win10, and it was activated before I even checked it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If a machine has had Windows 10 on it at any point, it'll reactivate automatically after a reinstall.
I don't know if that's just in the US, or if Canada is exempted, or if it had something to do with the Win7 key, but you'll see further up this thread that I had a nightmare getting a clean install to activate on a laptop that had previously been upgraded and activated properly. MS support told me that I was shit out of luck, it absolutely would not activate no matter what I did, unless I went back and did the upgrade process again and did not do a clean install.

So it's not as simple as you seem to think.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had to replace the hard drive, good old Seagate Barracuda and their 25% failure rate. So the hash won't match. Like Eomer said, I have to go back through the upgrade process. Or just do the other thing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk, I tried it and it said failed and MS's site says if you replace the hard drive then you need to go through the upgrade process again. I was hoping their would be an easier way. This kind of seems like bullshit. I read about people updating their BIOS and losing activation, I would assume MS has a way to fix this since the install is tied to an email.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You can, I didn't tie my MS account to any of my Windows 10 installs. Gabe Aul says you can fix this by contacting support from the computer, we'll see when I get home.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The key I got is not the same as any of the generic keys floating around on websites. Not sure why that is but if its generic it should match. Perhaps there is something with my config. Perhaps those generic keys were for the previews. Who knows. If its generic post yours and we can compare.