Windows 10

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Can't someone sue the fuck out of them based on lost productivity / fucking up your shit / etc ?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No. They actually own your car and a quarter of every appetizer ordered from TGIFs if you'd at all bothered to read the EULA.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's the thing, you agreed to the Win7/8 EULA not the Win10 one. My brother got forced upgraded while he was at work, it's basically malware that force installs and demands you agree to their new contract while they monitor everything you type and say into your microphone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I like Win10 but don't agree with this. Some senior citizen lady that always asks me for help had her PC upgrade overnight too and she's in some panic over it. People like that didn't need an upgrade...

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Mine also force upgraded last night and I simply didn't agree to the legal stuff and it reverted back to Win 7.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
My dad called me this morning when the computer I built for him automatically upgraded itself to Windows 10. This is some mighty fine horseshit from MS right now.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My brother's PC appeared to revert properly but today it's perpetually stuck on a configuring windows update screen when his computer has never had any issues before. Thanks, Microsoft I hope you get sued to hell and back.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is from my Dad who has a computer lab. People gon be pissssssssssed.

"Yes, just happened to two of my 30 computers again today. One was your mom's classroom computer during a lesson. She was dead in the water for 30 minutes until it downloaded. You couldn't stop it or even turn off the power. I can't believe how they can force this on customers. I really had no complaints about windows 7. But with 10, it can't automatically discover any of my networked printers or devices and I need to enter the IP addresses for each. It also takes up too much memory. Happy it's the weekend."
2oiN1zG.jpg

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh good. I'm not the only one that woke up to Windows 10. True, I could have denied the legal stuff and been reverted back, but I just accepted it and so far everything is fine and working. I just don't like the shitty ass consents they changed.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The problem in this case is apparently it's not even giving people the option to disagree to the Win10 license since if you're not immediately present to stop the update it does it anyway. That seems like it's into murky legal territory to me. Microsoft is really being shitty about this whole roll out.

Also, turn off automatic updates if you're not already on Win10.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Microsoft is being shady and shitty, but doubt anything they're doing is illegal. In fact, they probably consulted a very expensive legal team to figure out exactly how they could legally force everyone to go to Windows 10. And still, how many cases have their been where a Microsoft product glitches or has a known bug that bankrupts some small business that has no legal recourse because they agreed to the EULA. They probably even planned for a one-OS-to-rule-them-all moment like this so many years ago that you probably agreed to Windows 10 back when Vista came out or some shit.

People who really care are businesses using Windows 7 Enterprise, who are also the ones with any clout/rights and are also the ones Microsoft isn't going to fuck with. Basically, individuals are fucked, and 10 years from now businesses, government agencies especially, will still be using Windows 7 Enterprise and the complaint will be that they're holding back progress in Windows 10.8 after we've all been assimilated to the Windows 10 revolution.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
2 computers at work upgraded themselves this week. 1 was the fax server, which continued to do it's job so nobody cared, but the other computer was off limits until it was rolled back 2 days later. Something about all the extra telemetry crap possibly causing HIPAA violations. We finally upgraded the office to Win 7 this past December, so I don't see us using 10 any time soon.

MS had gotten itself some goodwill with the free upgrade and Win 10 actually being pretty good, but they've squandered it all and then some with this forced upgrade crap.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
MS squanders its goodwill by continuing to be beaten handily on things like actual functionality and convenience. That was the problem with Windows 8; it was supposed to be so much more user friendly and convenient, and it wasn't. And I don't think they've fixed most issues in Windows 10.

For instance, today I wanted to install Office. I had a 2013 key I got free from a tablet purchase, so figured I'd use that instead of the $5 corporate copy of 2010 I've been using for years. Should be easy, right? Well, I uninstalled/deleted their bloatware asking if I wanted to buy office 24/7 because I hadn't needed it since the last time I reinstalled on this hard drive. And you can't just install shit anymore, you have to log into your MS account if you're lucky enough to have one so they can track/control/market everything. From there I enter the key and download the installer, and it doesn't install anything. I look up troubleshooting online and all the MS sources basically just say to install Internet Explorer. I play along, try to install via Edge. Have to sign into my account again, of course. I sign in, and to install I have to follow a link that asks me to sign into my account again. Finally download the installer, and clicking 'run' still does nothing. So, now I have to troubleshoot more, and figure I'll just have to run their uninstaller program to uninstall the program I already uninstalled myself that was maybe not a good enough uninstall. So, I run that, have to restart my computer of course. Now, the installer works. Great! And you have to of course click several buttons that goes against their recommendations about sharing your entire life. No problem. Oops, Office isn't the default program, but would I like to make it so? I click the button yes, but that button just tells me where I have to go in my OS settings to change default programs as it can't do it itself apparently. Etc etc etc.

I'm used to this shit, so it only pisses me off but I manage to work around it. But your average user? They just continue to think MS is the devil and now that devil is forcing them to upgrade to an OS they haven't at least been figuring out for a decade. If Windows 10 actually cut out more of the bullshit and hassle and made things easier and more user friendly, they'd have a winner. Instead, same old bullshit, but now with the perception they're forcing people into it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is from my Dad who has a computer lab. People gon be pissssssssssed.

"Yes, just happened to two of my 30 computers again today. One was your mom's classroom computer during a lesson. She was dead in the water for 30 minutes until it downloaded. You couldn't stop it or even turn off the power. I can't believe how they can force this on customers. I really had no complaints about windows 7. But with 10, it can't automatically discover any of my networked printers or devices and I need to enter the IP addresses for each. It also takes up too much memory. Happy it's the weekend."
2oiN1zG.jpg
Luckily she was fat enough to obscure most of it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
MS squanders its goodwill by continuing to be beaten handily on things like actual functionality and convenience. That was the problem with Windows 8; it was supposed to be so much more user friendly and convenient, and it wasn't. And I don't think they've fixed most issues in Windows 10.

For instance, today I wanted to install Office. I had a 2013 key I got free from a tablet purchase, so figured I'd use that instead of the $5 corporate copy of 2010 I've been using for years. Should be easy, right? Well, I uninstalled/deleted their bloatware asking if I wanted to buy office 24/7 because I hadn't needed it since the last time I reinstalled on this hard drive. And you can't just install shit anymore, you have to log into your MS account if you're lucky enough to have one so they can track/control/market everything. From there I enter the key and download the installer, and it doesn't install anything. I look up troubleshooting online and all the MS sources basically just say to install Internet Explorer. I play along, try to install via Edge. Have to sign into my account again, of course. I sign in, and to install I have to follow a link that asks me to sign into my account again. Finally download the installer, and clicking 'run' still does nothing. So, now I have to troubleshoot more, and figure I'll just have to run their uninstaller program to uninstall the program I already uninstalled myself that was maybe not a good enough uninstall. So, I run that, have to restart my computer of course. Now, the installer works. Great! And you have to of course click several buttons that goes against their recommendations about sharing your entire life. No problem. Oops, Office isn't the default program, but would I like to make it so? I click the button yes, but that button just tells me where I have to go in my OS settings to change default programs as it can't do it itself apparently. Etc etc etc.

I'm used to this shit, so it only pisses me off but I manage to work around it. But your average user? They just continue to think MS is the devil and now that devil is forcing them to upgrade to an OS they haven't at least been figuring out for a decade. If Windows 10 actually cut out more of the bullshit and hassle and made things easier and more user friendly, they'd have a winner. Instead, same old bullshit, but now with the perception they're forcing people into it.
That's entirely an office problem, not Windows 10.Marketplace for Microsoft Softwarehas links to download the office install file. Just run it and enter your key after it's installed. Getting it from MS directly looks to be a pain in the ass.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That's kinda my point. This has always been and by the looks of it always will be the big problem with Windows. Microsoft has marketed windows 8 through 10 as so much more user friendly and convenient, and let's be honest tried to compete with Mac, and it's still the same old shit. It's bad enough dealing with it as a general PC issue, but why don't they or can't they fix very known issues.

And it's actually easy to get from MS directly, as you log into your account (that you need for the store anyhow) and download the thing it tells you to download. I'm not sure the link would have worked better through the store than through your MS account, but the point is still that MS advertises convenient and user friendly and isn't because the same shit that has always plagued them continues to.