Windows 10

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The new photo viewer is a piece of crap. Luckily the old one was still left in as cruft and I could enable it by editing the registry.

I also figured out how to permanently disable windows defender. It's annoying it wasn't in the windows defender configuration but in some hell hole.
You weren't using some third party software to view photos? Irfanview is pretty nice.
I'm with Tuco on this. New photo viewer is a piece of shit. Never heard of Irfanview. Anyone else have suggestions?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I tried irfanview, got pissed off withDisabling dialog.and just figured out how to enable the old photo viewer. If want anything more than switching photos, zoom, pan I'll use gimp.
, .

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Irfanview is awesome, and I have never had an issue with that disabling dialog bothering me, but I suppose if it does it might be worth trying something else. But I've installed it on every computer I've had for years, and every computer at work, and no problems at all. Very lightweight and fast compared to most others, and I'll certainly never go to one that doesn't allow mouse-wheel scrolling of images, that's for sure.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Microsoft has announced a big change for how the Cortana search box in Windows 10 will work going forward: all searches will be powered by Bing and all links will open with the Edge browser. This is a server-side change going into effect today. Once it takes effect on your Windows 10 computer, Cortana will no longer be able to serve up results from third-party search providers, like Google or Yahoo, nor take you to a third-party browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Ryan Gavin, Microsoft's general manager of search and Cortana, said in a Windows blog post announcing the change, "Unfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and usage, we have seen some software programs circumvent the design of Windows 10 and redirect you to search providers that were not designed to work with Cortana. The result is a compromised experience that is less reliable and predictable. The continuity of these types of task completion scenarios is disrupted if Cortana can't depend on Bing as the search provider and Microsoft Edge as the browser. The only way we can confidently deliver this personalized, end-to-end search experience is through the integration of Cortana, Microsoft Edge and Bing -- all designed to do more for you."

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/28/mi...and-edge-only/

I'm no lawyer but this seems almost like what they got slapped down for already in the EU antitrust case.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought maybe I'd already asked about this, but apparently not:

Probably 2 months ago (I'm guessing with an update), all the "native" Windows apps stopped working (calculator being the big one, but store, photo viewer, etc). I tried doing a manual uninstall (command prompt) of them which worked, but I can't reinstall them.

I really don't want to format already mostly due to having to redownload a ton of games (and I'm bandwidth capped at 250GB by my ISP). Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? If not for the calculator I wouldn't care, but I use that damn thing a lot. Shit, if there's a good third party calculator program, that'd work too.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So one thing that irritates me with WIN10 is the change in context menus. In 7 if I right clicked I'd immediately get the option to open as admin. In 10, you have to click the chevron which gives you basically NO options except 'pin to start' 'more options' and 'uninstall'.

Is there any way to get back old school context menus here?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Mine is completely normal so there must be. A quick Google findsthisbut I'm not seeing an easy way native to Windows to change it.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>

Probably 2 months ago (I'm guessing with an update), all the "native" Windows apps stopped working (calculator being the big one, but store, photo viewer, etc). I tried doing a manual uninstall (command prompt) of them which worked, but I can't reinstall them.

I really don't want to format already mostly due to having to redownload a ton of games (and I'm bandwidth capped at 250GB by my ISP). Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? If not for the calculator I wouldn't care, but I use that damn thing a lot. Shit, if there's a good third party calculator program, that'd work too.
Is User Account Control turned off? I've seen that problem and it required turning it on.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Not a problem. Does your Windows Store app work? If so, just download the apps again from the Store. If your windows store isn't working or has been removed, follow this article:

Restore Microsoft Store application in Windows 10 - Super User

For the procedure, you may have to change some of the version numbers in step 2, as this was based on the RTM version of Windows 10. Simply get the proper filename from the Windowsapps folder.

We've been through this at the office as we initially removed the Windows Store and all apps for employee workstations, only to find out that it torched the calculator because that's also a "windows app". So we had to reinstall the store in order to re-download the calculator app.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.

I'm reluctant to do a repair since from what I can tell, it nukes all your programs and that's what I'm trying to avoid; otherwise I'd just go ahead and reformat (it's kind of annoying that it keeps files but not programs, because files are a whole fuckload easier to move).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.

I'm reluctant to do a repair since from what I can tell, it nukes all your programs and that's what I'm trying to avoid; otherwise I'd just go ahead and reformat (it's kind of annoying that it keeps files but not programs, because files are a whole fuckload easier to move).
A repair shouldn't be necessary. MS has specific powershell cmdlets for managing the Windows apps.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I like Win10, but I smiled.

XqO8FO.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was worried my Win 8 VM was going to magically upgrade to Win 10 one day but it doesn't like the 'display driver' so It never will. Crisis averted.

I like Win 10 to be honest, just don't want to wipe out my work.