Windows 10

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dunno, I had big problems with the older versions of the insider preview on my tablet which is obviously less horsepower. The newest preview version is fine though and it runs fine on my desktop. Of course I have a 4770K so...

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
The only problem I'm having is with my monitor not going to sleep, but I haven't had time to figure out the culprit.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
obvious tries, but maybe the issue:

settings>system>power and sleep>additional power settings>choose when to turn off the display

if you use a slideshow for your lock screen it'll override sleep settings. (i.e. don't use a slideshow there)

setting>personalization>lock screen

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How funny. I'm also going back to win 7. Laptop is very sluggish, bsod twice and it very irresponsible.You need a beefy machine.
That's the complete opposite of what I've head from people upgrading from 7. Did you just do the upgrade or did you do a clean install afterwards. I have been seeing problems after upgrades, especially driver issues. Many device manufacturers seems to be almost as bad about updating drivers as they were during the early days of Vista, without the excuse of not getting the necessary information from MS in a timely fashion.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I must be the only one around here that isn't having a problem with 10 at all. Oh well!
I wish it worked, but I'm not computer savvy enough (or patient enough) to figure out why window's own mail or calendar app doesn't work or why now my built in SD card reader doesn't work.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
There was frustration with Mail and Calendar leading up to launch. I don't use either, so I'm not familiar with the problem.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
obvious tries, but maybe the issue:

settings>system>power and sleep>additional power settings>choose when to turn off the display

if you use a slideshow for your lock screen it'll override sleep settings. (i.e. don't use a slideshow there)

setting>personalization>lock screen
Already tried those. It works fine if I reboot and don't sign in, but once signed in, the screen won't go to sleep. Until I have time to troubleshoot it, I just set my computer's power button to turn off screen instead of shutting down.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
There was frustration with Mail and Calendar leading up to launch. I don't use either, so I'm not familiar with the problem.
Yeah, I've seen this. I also don't use either, so it may just be that the problem is irrelevant to me and that's why I'm not bothering to try to fix it. The calculator won't open for me anymore, though, and I know why:

"Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1508.14010.0_x64__8 wekyb3d8bbwe:App.AppX925nj842ef7p4yze5n55c6qy1ka00 grz.mca failed with error: This app can't be activated when UAC is disabled. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

Wouldn't surprise me if the others are suffering from the same issue (that being, Windows Live apps cannot open with UAC disabled, nor can any "Modern"/"Metro" apps, including MS Edge).

As to Win10 being sluggish, and requiring a "beefy machine":

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows%207%20system%20requirements_sl said:
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows%2010%20system%20requirements_sl said:
It's thus worth adding that the Windows 10 technical preview has these requirements:
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
A Microsoft account and Internet access.
Tech preview only, but they haven't changed since (source:Windows 10 Specifications System Requirements - Microsoft).

In short, no. You've heard wrong, lendarios.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I've seen this. I also don't use either, so it may just be that the problem is irrelevant to me and that's why I'm not bothering to try to fix it. The calculator won't open for me anymore, though, and I know why:

"Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1508.14010.0_x64__8 wekyb3d8bbwe:App.AppX925nj842ef7p4yze5n55c6qy1ka00 grz.mca failed with error: This app can't be activated when UAC is disabled. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

Wouldn't surprise me if the others are suffering from the same issue (that being, Windows Live apps cannot open with UAC disabled, nor can any "Modern"/"Metro" apps, including MS Edge).
I have no fucking idea what any of that means nor do I wish to learn. I thought the idea, a long time ago, was was that the home computer was going to be no more difficult to operate than a toaster. If I can't click "mail" and get my mail, I have no use for Win 10.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I have no fucking idea what any of that means nor do I wish to learn. I thought the idea, a long time ago, was was that the home computer was going to be no more difficult to operate than a toaster. If I can't click "mail" and get my mail, I have no use for Win 10.
Sounds like you want to go pay tripple at the apple store. Bye-bye.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Sounds like you want to go pay tripple at the apple store. Bye-bye.
Every time we hire a new employee and he/she turns out to be an Apple snob and either a) asks if they can have an Apple instead of a PC or b) asks for remote access help from their home Mac, is truly a glorious moment. Telling them that I don't spend company money on purchasing pretty toys, nor do I support them for connectivity to the office, is simply amazing feelz.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Every time we hire a new employee and he/she turns out to be an Apple snob and either a) asks if they can have an Apple instead of a PC or b) asks for remote access help from their home Mac, is truly a glorious moment. Telling them that I don't spend company money on purchasing pretty toys, nor do I support them for connectivity to the office, is simply amazing feelz.
Well, it's happening sooner or later.
Apple - Press Info - Apple and IBM Forge Global Partnership to Transform Enterprise Mobility

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah, idc about Iphones/Ipads, we support those for activesync and specific apps. It's supporting actual Apple computers on the network that I refuse to allow, or guiding some applefag over the phone as to how to install a VPN client on a Mac. Thankfully, Apple will never penetrate the Enterprise at the desktop/server level because a) Their shit is expensive and b) They refuse to offer different support tiers for consumers and businesses.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
My reply wasn't for your benefit. You clearly don't give a shit, and you made that clear before I posted. My reply was to Agraza, and was also for other people who might be wondering why it may not work. I clearly mentioned that I don't use these apps and don't care if they don't work for me. If you want everything to work, out of the box, here's a suggestion for you: Don't be an early adopter. Ever.

Also, I'm an Apple user, and even I'm amazed by your simplistic view of the world. Sometimes, things break. Deal with it. There will be a fix at some point.

So, is anyone having problems with SLI after upgrading to windows 10? I've got a fresh, clean install of windows 10, new drivers for everything. I'm running 355.80 version drivers from NVidia. I'm running 2 Geforce 560 TIs in SLI. When I go into the display menu for Windows (not the NVidia menu) I get a BSOD. If I don't have SLI enabled, everything is fine. I've searched around for any fix but seems there's not many people having that specific issue. I know there are a lot of other SLI problems with NVidia, but this seems to not be happening to many people.

Been thinking of upgrading my video cards but need new tires for my truck first, so...priorities.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I am running 3x SLI with 353.62 in Windows 10 without issue. The only driver I had an issue with was the non-WHQL release during Tech Preview, and that was more a 3D Surround issue than an SLI issue. No BSODs at all, though.

I am running 3x SLI with 353.62 in Windows 10 without issue. The only driver I had an issue with was the non-WHQL release during Tech Preview, and that was more a 3D Surround issue than an SLI issue. No BSODs at all, though.
What cards do you have? I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that NVidia hasn't added support yet for Fermi cards for DX12. Last I heard it was delayed and I haven't seen anything announced that that has changed. Wonder if I should download an older driver to use for now. I've turned off windows update for devices on my computer so I shouldn't have to deal with it trying to replace what I use.

EDIT: Well, that appears to be what the issue is. I went to the 347.88 drivers and now I don't get a BSOD with SLI enabled when going into the display properties. I have to do some further testing with some games though.