Windows 10

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So it was officially announced today :

Microsoft's next OS is Windows 10, will ship later in 2015

Windows 10 Hands-On: Well Hello There, Start Menu!

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 | TechCrunch

Looks pretty slick, adding the Live Tiles to the Start Menu seems like a very obvious compromise and it seems to be all about making these easy to use on the Enterprise level...which is significant since a great many corporations still use freaking WindowsXP because they can't be bothered to reconfigure their shit.

Still wondering why they skipped 9...

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Probably because they want to break the 'bad' luck of even numbers. I have 7, will stick with 7 until Windows 11.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Ahhh apparently they wanted to have a "final" major codebase to work from and then do incremental updates to that on a constant basis rather than have a Windows 11, 12, etc.

I can see how that would appeal to the Enterprise people especially because they could justify the update to Windows 10 as potentially lasting as long as Windows XP has.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Just wait til you see the subscription based pricing before you like the incremental approach too much. Office365 was a test to see if people/business would pay like that.

Also short of not doing major revisions ever I don't see how this will not cause the same issues for enterprise software that the previous system did. Windows is still going to need to evolve whether its slowly through patches or in big jumps through OS releases.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8 was so bad they had to skip to 10 just to distance the next version from the suck of windows 8.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I watched this video. Half way through he goes on to talk about the improvements in W10, such as being able to resize your windows, and the new close, maximize and minimize buttons. It's almost as good as windows 3!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I watched this video. Half way through he goes on to talk about the improvements in W10, such as being able to resize your windows, and the new close, maximize and minimize buttons. It's almost as good as windows 3!
Sounds no different than a MAC OSX announcement though.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Hmm, everything looks great except that I prefer the Windows 8 start screen, I hope there is an option to switch back to it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Windows 8 is great for anybody without a severe learning disability.

looks like this one will be more retard inclusive.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Windows 8 works really great w/ my tablet, I don't put that shit on my home PC's tho. Hell even IE8 is better than chrome in tablet form, but wtf, windows 10, they really can't call it windows X? i mean they have a xbox/xbox360 and xbox1. (is it just cuz apple already did osx?)

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
Hmm, everything looks great except that I prefer the Windows 8 start screen, I hope there is an option to switch back to it.
In the Technical Preview release I installed today, there is an option to disable the Start Menu and use the Start Screen.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
In the Technical Preview release I installed today, there is an option to disable the Start Menu and use the Start Screen.
Can you also make the start menu gigantic and basically the whole desktop?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm already running Windows 8.1. So you think I should install 8.1 to a VHD then upgrade from there?