Windows 8

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What's the cheapest way to get Win 8? I want it for 2 computers. I have legit copies of Win 7 on those computers, so if there is a cheaper 'upgrade' version, that's what I want. I see some "Win 8 Pro" upgrades for like 40 bucks on Ebay. Are those upgrades from older OS or upgrades from normal Win 8 to Win 8 Pro?

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I have a windows Xp question and since there is no xp thread, I thought i would ask it here. I hope you don't mind.

Is there a way to get a sort of desktop notification when I get a new e-mail in my gmail inbox ?
I need this for work, I cant just stay with the eyes glued to the gmail browser tab and hit refresh, but it is important that I find our imediately when I get a new e-mail. Save me and thank you.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
RIP windows 8. Taken from us too soon by pathetic nerds who rage against progress and improvement.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
RIP windows 8. Taken from us too soon by pathetic nerds who rage against progress and improvement.
I know you're trying to troll, but while Win 8 was simply unfinished. On tablets and phones it works very, very well. That said, the UI simply does NOT function well for desktops. The commands and gestures that are a flick of the finger are a long obnoxious scroll away. If you have two monitors, you have to shimmy the mouse into exactly the right spot between the two monitors to get the context menu up. For 2012 Server, it's just obnoxious. I don't mind the updates they did to the server page, but the start menu drives me bananas. Instead of being able to organize shortcuts to Powershell scripts, specific applications with elevated privileges or a command switch, I have to just drop everything to the desktop or go through Windows explorer, which is STILL frustrating because half of those things are buried 12 directories deep. Just obnoxious.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
While I am in the minority of people that like windows 8, I still don't understand why Microsoft tried to force the same operating system across phones, tablets, and computers. Those are pretty different devices, they each really need an OS tailored specifically to them, ideally.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Palum: try keyboard commands to alleviate the mouse design shortcomings. Win-C and Win-Q might help you out.

Joeboo: MS isn't backing off that idea, they're doubling down. Windows is being reduced down to a single operating system across all of the MS devices. They're just making the desktop part better in W9 so people with touchscreens can continue loving Windows modern UI while people on desktops can hopefully stop complaining about it.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I know you're trying to troll, but while Win 8 was simply unfinished. On tablets and phones it works very, very well. That said, the UI simply does NOT function well for desktops. The commands and gestures that are a flick of the finger are a long obnoxious scroll away. If you have two monitors, you have to shimmy the mouse into exactly the right spot between the two monitors to get the context menu up. For 2012 Server, it's just obnoxious. I don't mind the updates they did to the server page, but the start menu drives me bananas. Instead of being able to organize shortcuts to Powershell scripts, specific applications with elevated privileges or a command switch, I have to just drop everything to the desktop or go through Windows explorer, which is STILL frustrating because half of those things are buried 12 directories deep. Just obnoxious.
OMFG This!

I have my personal issues with Windows 8 desktop, though they were mostly resolved by installing Start8. But whoever the fuck thought the server UI needed the flashy Windows 8 crap needs to be dragged out back and shot.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
I love the windows 8 app store where I can pay for "apps" imitating widely available free softwarelink

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Huh. I've been using Win 8 as my primary OS for the last ~10 months after using Linux for a few years straight. I've never used the app store and had completely forgotten that it even exists until you reminded me. Has anyone ever actually used it on an x86 computer?

Jovec

?
Huh. I've been using Win 8 as my primary OS for the last ~10 months after using Linux for a few years straight. I've never used the app store and had completely forgotten that it even exists until you reminded me. Has anyone ever actually used it on an x86 computer?
It's where the consumer OS platform is heading.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what you're saying is that you've actually used the Windows app store on an x86 machine, but you're not comfortable actually coming right out and explicitly admitting it in public?

Jovec

?
No, I haven't used it (except to look through once or twice). No MS account, never updated the default Win8.1 metro apps. But I can see apps like Skype becoming Metro only in the future (at least for 8+). I can also see many freeware/open source windows apps moving to the app store (only) in a few years.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
While I've never used the Microsoft app store on my desktop PC, I do use an app store pretty much daily(Steam). If the Windows app store were run like Steam with regular sales & bundles, I'd probably use it.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, good point about Steam. I think my only real issue with the Windows app store is the difference between apps and programs. ButI could have the wrong ideas about that too.