Windows 8

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I don't even think it matters anymore considering how the desktop is practically irrelevant now.
Dumbest thing I've read in this thread in a long while. We're moving towards that but a long ways off from that being close to true.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Misleading shit is misleading. Dell and Lenovo are both up nearly 7% worldwide. Dell, Apple and Lenovo are all up from last year in the US alone.

Seriously, what a ridiculous source. Bonus points for linking to CNet of all places. Now, if you posted, say... this:Computer Sales in Free Fall - WSJ

This article shows the trend is falling, yep. It's falling because people have figured out that they can do most of their daily shit on a phone or a tablet, and that means that those people don't need desktops anymore. They aren't gaming. They're people who "surf the web", whatever that means, and that's fine. Maybe this finally means they'll stop having to ask for help with The Internets.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yup, because Dell and Lenovo make the majority of their sales to the corporate environment, while Apple remains stable because of fanboyz. Asus/Acer cater to consumers and hence have taken the biggest hit. Working in IT, I have yet to see the slightest sign that the desktop is going anywhere. Desktops are still king for on-site users, and with the exception of idiot CFO's and IT managers that think thin clients are the way of the future, desktop sales will continue to either grow, or at a minimum maintain the same level. The only area that is currently in flux is the mobile user, and whether they should get laptops, tablets, both, or a hybrid like the Surface.

spronk

FPS noob
desktop is fine but its pretty scary the % of people who are on the internet completely untethered. the vast majority of new users in asia, africa, south america and maybe europe (kids) increasingly do not own computers anymore, dont have internet at home, and do all their internet and computing off mobile phones

won't matter to us but us desktop users/gamers will slowly become dinosaurs and all the new R&D money is chasing mobile, sorta like how television shows in USA are mostly produced with 18-34 year old audiences in mind

i fucking hate phones and trying to use my fat fingers to type and reading shit on a tiny screen. I want 4k monitors and glorious surround sound and triple monitor display and gadgets on my desktop

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You're all gonna get Steamboxes for future gaming and tablets / laptops / phones for the rest of your computing. Desktop as we know it is dead, it's just a matter of time before you accept it. As far as work is concerned we have business owners on this very forum singing praises for the MS Surface. Most companies only have old computers to this day because they require some kind of support for a legacy application that no one has rewritten since 1998.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
You're all gonna get Steamboxes for future gaming and tablets / laptops / phones for the rest of your computing. Desktop as we know it is dead, it's just a matter of time before you accept it. As far as work is concerned we have business owners on this very forum singing praises for the MS Surface. Most companies only have old computers to this day because they require some kind of support for a legacy application that no one has rewritten since 1998.
Desktop as we know it is dead in a matter of time sure but that ain't a very near thing. I highly doubt many of us will be buying a Steambox and getting rid of our desktop computers any time soon.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
+1. I won't touch Steambox over my desktop. No value added.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If people admittedly only need desktops for gaming, where is the value in anything else?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
First of all, why would you ask that question here? We're probably all gamers.

Secondly, I never said that. I use my desktop(s) for all kinds of things. I run a VM server lab on one of them. I have a development environment on another. I wouldn't be caught dead typing up reports on a tablet. I wouldn't even write an email to a friend on a tablet. They're annoying for anything other than casual web surfing and playing tablet games. Same thing goes for phones.

Given the choice, I will always sit at a desk to do anything time-consuming. Phones and tablets are for people on the move.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Don't forget laptops. I work fine on mine and if I need a big screen for anything (gaming) it gets plugged into the tv mounted over my desk. Unless you have a 4k tv, laptops today are more than capable of handling 1080p maxed gaming. The main benefit of course being not being shackled to that desk.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I only game at my desk. I use my desktop to stream movies via Plex to either of my TVs. Ditto for music. I use a laptop at work so if I ever travel I can take my work programs/stuff with me. I used to game when I traveled for work but I found that I don't even have the time. I have my work programs/stuff on my desktop computer as well. To each their own. I don't think anyone is making the argument that desktops will maintain the "market share" they once had, but they are extremely far off from being irrelevant. Especially for gamers.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just wanted to toss in my hate for Win8 here. Inexplicably, actually 'useful' things like the SHOW ALL APPLICATIONS button on the start screen are GONE from 8.1. The newest batch of machines I have at work give me a start button, but take away the actually fucking utility of the menu. There is literally NO WAY for a normal user to find an application (at least fucking app store bullshit continues to show up!) they installed if it didn't create a shortcut without searching for it. It just fucking acts like it never existed as far as the start menu is concerned. I'm not talking 'random application 47', but rather MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013. AND THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU CAN'T EVEN DRAG AND DROP THE ICON FROM THE SEARCH BAR TO THE DESKTOP TO MAKE A SHORTCUT. You have to do some weird right-click open directory copy paste shortcuts from explorer to the desktop shenanigans.

Jesus Christ, this shit is bananas.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I just wanted to toss in my hate for Win8 here. Inexplicably, actually 'useful' things like the SHOW ALL APPLICATIONS button on the start screen are GONE from 8.1. The newest batch of machines I have at work give me a start button, but take away the actually fucking utility of the menu. There is literally NO WAY for a normal user to find an application (at least fucking app store bullshit continues to show up!) they installed if it didn't create a shortcut without searching for it. It just fucking acts like it never existed as far as the start menu is concerned. I'm not talking 'random application 47', but rather MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013. AND THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU CAN'T EVEN DRAG AND DROP THE ICON FROM THE SEARCH BAR TO THE DESKTOP TO MAKE A SHORTCUT. You have to do some weird right-click open directory copy paste shortcuts from explorer to the desktop shenanigans.

Jesus Christ, this shit is bananas.
I don't know what to tell you other than I don't understand what you are talking about, the same button is in the same place in 8.1 and it does the same things. Also, using the search primarily is a good thing, you WANT people to use the search for things that aren't pinned.

rrr_img_68897.png

rrr_img_68898.png

rrr_img_68899.png

rrr_img_68900.png