Witcher 3

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got this game on the PS4 and it's no doubt the best RPG game I've ever played. I finished it last night after starting it before Christmas. The thought of playing MMOs over the past few weeks never even crossed my mind.

Never played the first two games but they aren't available on the PS4. Are they worth playing on the PC or will they be a letdown after playing 3 on the PS4? I'm mainly just interested in all the lore. Thinking about just buying the books instead.
Pretty much everything is a letdown after playing this. The first witcher is very dated, kind of plays like NWN2, and lore-wise, eh, it's good but I am not sure if it's 'worth it to suffer through old engine for the story like Baldur's Gate 2' good.. The 2nd one is better and really gives you the set up for 3, worth playing for the story at the very least. The gameplay in 2 is much closer to 3, but linear instead of open world.

I think the books are worth as well - get the whole story of Yennefer and Ciri that way, as well as more meat to folks like Dandelion and Zoltan. I personally felt like I was missing out on some of the characters in 3, as there are quite a few from the books that Geralt interacts with that have not been mentioned in any of the games, so you would probably get more mileage out of them for lore purposes than anything else.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I got this game on the PS4 and it's no doubt the best RPG game I've ever played. I finished it last night after starting it before Christmas. The thought of playing MMOs over the past few weeks never even crossed my mind.

Never played the first two games but they aren't available on the PS4. Are they worth playing on the PC or will they be a letdown after playing 3 on the PS4? I'm mainly just interested in all the lore. Thinking about just buying the books instead.
Both of the old games are my favorites, but I won't pretend the first one aged very well, it's on Bioware Aurora engine that powered NWN/Kotor. You can get them for next to nothing on sale, so you can give them a try. If you can follow a good story no matter how many UI and control problems the game throws in the way, you will probably like them, or if you enjoyed other european RPGs like Gothic, including rather bizarre controls. The second one is a lot cleaner and a bit smaller, I recommend getting the combat revamp one of the devs made. I think it remains very much playable, even if the combat in W3 is a lot smoother but the graphics still look really good.

All of them have the same level of writing, the game still has the nice habit of kicking you in the nuts with unintended consequences of your choices and well, there are more titties.

Nester

Vyemm Raider

I have yet to play the first 2 but I did pick up both for less tha $6 total on a steam sale last year. Can't go wrong with that price.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The first two games play pretty differently story wise and in other ways. Story wise they are more of a shit sandwich with peanut vs shit sandwich with corn. There are plenty of decisions but in those games the decisions rarely play out well. While that is good to some extent the level that it happens is way beyond what I consider good in a game. Many times I got the feeling "well why the fuck bother if that is how things are going to constantly turn out"

Combat was also more unforgiving in the previous games. They are ok games. I don't think the first aged well at all.

I wouldn't consider them games I'd replay. They were good for the time but no more. Witcher 3 is superior is just about every way. I generally replay games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect etc. many times. I give those games max replay ability. Witcher 3 will get replayed but even it's not a great contender for replay especially if you didn't fuck up and got what you consider the good endings. Still a very linear game. I'll play it again but it is no Elder Scrolls game in that regard.

The previous games probably aren't worth your time unless you really want to go back and see how the shit show started. There are some cool parts to those games, just play them for what they are but story wise it's just a series of shit decisions you won't really want to make.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I count that as a reason to play those games
biggrin.png
Fantasy games usually turn you into the center of the universe and everything revolves around you, so this was a breath of fresh air.

I went back and rewatched the W1 intro, it looks really bad now:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been doing the side quests as people say, some are stupid but some have been great. I thought Gwent was so dumb but guess who spent 3 hours travelling and deck building? Looked at my clock and it said 2am and I went "fuck!"

Got completely sucked in

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Debating buying this for PS4. Should I get the expansion too? Everyone says its better than Bloodborne, which is my favorite PS4 game so far.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I like bloodborne more, but I'm a huge souls fan boy. This game is good, but have no delusions it is definitely a different game. Combat is easier, it's open world, and there is a lot of talking. Definitely an incredible game.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
They're two entirely different games. If you're more into an open-world, narrative-driven experience, go for the Witcher. If you're more interested in tight combat, genuine challenge and first-class level design, go with Bloodborne.

I couldn't make it through the Witcher, but I'm not a big fan of the genre. Bloodborne is one of the best games I've ever played.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm on NG+ of Bloodborne so I really enjoy it. I think I'll get The Witcher to hold me over until The Last Guardian (LOL) comes out.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The Witcher is a really great game but it's "tedious". You'll do a lot of running around and story driven stuff and there will be long periods of exploring and meeting/talking with people with little to no combat in between. It's very much a story driven game but the story is excellent and you feel like you're part of the world.

Praetorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
The Witcher is a really great game but it's "tedious". You'll do a lot of running around and story driven stuff and there will be long periods of exploring and meeting/talking with people with little to no combat in between. It's very much a story driven game but the story is excellent and you feel like you're part of the world.
Not enough content and a game is boring. Too much content and a game is tedious. No content and the game is Pantheon.

Gamer logic.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not a fan of open world games usually because it feels like there is a lot of emptiness. Maybe that's realistic, but it can stick out sometimes.

Khane

Not enough content and a game is boring. Too much content and a game is tedious. No content and the game is Pantheon.

Gamer logic.
Uhhh... what? Did you even read what I wrote? Or are you agreeing with me while also calling everyone who doesn't like this game "gamer stupid" in some weird roundabout way?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think he was trying to rag on you just pointing out a Goldilocks syndrome. I had no issues with getting bored in this game. I think it is because I read most of the witcher books after playing part 2 so I got a kick seeing all the places and people mentioned in the books brought to err life. CDPR really did their homework with their characterizations. There is a lot of cool shit from the books that add a lot of context to the characters.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Ok, so I've never played a Witcher game until this one and for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to play on the Death March difficulty. Jesus dick I spend more time reloading than playing.

Even after doing all the side quests I could find and all the hidden shit in the first area, I'm level 3 and getting my shit pushed in all over the second area. It's the packs of mobs that murder me. I can solo a level 9 ghoul but fuck me if you throw 5 level 4's at me.

I've upgraded my shield spell, got the +hp ability, maxed out my fast strike melee ability, and I dodge to the best of my ability but these fucking 6v1 fights, it's just too much incoming dmg to deal with. Halp!1

Khane

Ok, so I've never played a Witcher game until this one and for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to play on the Death March difficulty. Jesus dick I spend more time reloading than playing.

Even after doing all the side quests I could find and all the hidden shit in the first area, I'm level 3 and getting my shit pushed in all over the second area. It's the packs of mobs that murder me. I can solo a level 9 ghoul but fuck me if you throw 5 level 4's at me.

I've upgraded my shield spell, got the +hp ability, maxed out my fast strike melee ability, and I dodge to the best of my ability but these fucking 6v1 fights, it's just too much incoming dmg to deal with. Halp!1
Had the same exact experience at first but it's worth sticking with. I left the first area at level 3 or 4 and thought it would be a great idea to concentrate on side quests and POIs. Don't do that. Follow the main quest line and only do sidequests you pick up along the way and POIs close by to those quests at first because those are the only quests you can reasonbly do. Not to mention the main quests give you WAY more experience than sidequests do so you'll level up and eventually you'll be overleveled rather than underleveled

The only difference is that I went after Sign abilities and Igni makes this game a lot easier since it hits multiple enemies and also stuns AND burns them.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I like bloodborne more, but I'm a huge souls fan boy. This game is good, but have no delusions it is definitely a different game. Combat is easier, it's open world, and there is a lot of talking. Definitely an incredible game.
I am not at all into the Souls games nearly as much but I respect it and glad it's around. I am glad you did the side quests.

kaxfenix

N00b
SO just an FYI .. Not like most haven't Snatched up Witcher 2 on PC at decent prices in the last few years but Right now you can go and Download Witcher 2 for Xbox 360 for Free, if you have a xbox live subscription. It is playable on your Xbox One as well. So if you have live and a Xbox one/360 and never played W2 enjoy!

Khane

Anyone else have issues with the game crashing on PS4? Happens like once every 2-3 hours for me. Really annoying.

Edit: Meh, just got a "Corrupted Data" error on the latest save too. Good thing save often so only lost about 5 minutes of progress.