Witcher 3

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I agree Ritley. Rebalancing gear right before gold is just begging to be broken and in need of an early patch. I also don't really like the idea of gear scaling down. If I kill some rare badass monster I want his badass loot, not a lesser version of it. Not sure how this game works, but if it's a unique drop that only happens once in the game, can you gimp yourself out of great gear just by killing the monster or doing the quest at a lower level than intended? I like to push myself in these kinds of games and see how godlike I can become by killing much harder monsters than I should be able to kill, but if that scales down my rewards I'm not so sure I can play the game the way I want to.
Thats my concern.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Thats my concern.
Agree with the concerns, also not sure I understand the decision. We do not have level scaling on mobs, but we scale their loot?

Hopefully don't have to start playing it like Borderlands, where you finish it once, doing whatever quests you want. But when you start True vault hunter mode, you should avoid picking up any quest with rare rewards until max level because of the level scaling since when the quests (and the rewards tied to them) scale up to 50 they are significantly better than their low/mid level tier versions and once you activate their levels, it is permanent.

Really hope you don't have to keep a guide by your side for a list of unique mobs and their level scaled weapons, and like others mentioned, this also seems very counter intuitive to exploring and trying harder areas. "Oh, this place is a bit higher level than me. Better not go here yet in case I encounter a named and gimp its loot"

That said, they need to break some things now so they can fix them later in the "Enhanced version" that comes to every Witcher game a year after release.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking about picking up an msi 960 gtx for the upgrade and the witcher 3. Holding off as long as I can in the hopes that it will drop in price more.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've been wanting a new mobo/ram/cpu/gpu set up so this just might make that happen.

Caliane

It also seems contradictory to NPCS NOT scaling to your level. you manage to outwit some big bad and collect loots. lol GG its now underleveled, and won't catch up. You could in theory screw yourself out of the end game items.

my biggest worry is honestly Geralt himself. not a fan. would much rather a playermade character. that is seriously my only real concern.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would worry more about the combat system itself rather than the items. That's the thing CDPR has always struggled with. They tried to make Witcher 2 combat Souls-esque and ended up with something vaguely similar but clunkier in all aspects. It wasn't terrible, like say vanilla Skyrim combat, but it wasn't very good either. That "gameplay" video just shows a few animations that look cool; it doesn't show them strung together by someone actually playing the game which is what I was hoping to see.

Plus, Witcher 2 was pretty imbalanced at release. In particular, Aard was absurdly overpowered until they patched the game and later released FCR2.

Those things concern me a lot more than scaling loot, or how the sandbox content--which I'm still skeptical about--will work.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm not happy with loot scaling especially since mobs don't scale either. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Combat is obviously a huge wild card as is how well all the stuff they have promised is implemented in the game. We will find out in about a month. There is certainly enough to be excited / purchase and they've talked a really good game up to this point. We'll see how much of that actually holds true and isn't some PR speak once it releases.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
It's supposedly an open world, so what's the point of any scaling at all? Mob of certain level with certain abilities and certain toughness dropping certain loot. Then, let players figure it out. If you can't kill it, come back. If you can kill it, you're rewarded. What's the worst that can happen, a player over powers themselves? I'd argue they earned it, so were already powerful. (and cheaters/exploiters will do it anyhow, so shrug).

I think game developers have gotten too smart for themselves and keep trying to do too much and just over-design everything and make everything needlessly complicated and ultimately worse. As mentioned, I don't want to have to look up strats just to not gimp loot. And it's not about having the best things, but more I don't want Uber Sword of Ultimate Slaying to be shit compared to a rusty dagger just because I happened to kill a mob too early.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wouldn't worry about the loot too much. The witcher games thus far were never really loot focused and you could beat both games with the basic tier level crap you could get from a vendor. #2 was a nice improvement over 1 as far as combat goes so if they can continue that trend of improvements that would be much better than whatever version of mob/loot scaling they eventually go with. Though I can see this driving the hardcore min/maxers insane.

Evernothing

I'm sure the Nexus Mod regulars are alreadyhardat work on the running naked Geralt penis animations.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Single player rpgs are the last place I give two shits about loot balance. If you don't want to break the game don't use the broken shit, if you do use it. Its all personal at that point.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
A whole bunch of youtubers have been flown to Poland to attend a Witcher event that is taking place this weekend. Guessing lots of new information next week.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's supposedly an open world, so what's the point of any scaling at all? Mob of certain level with certain abilities and certain toughness dropping certain loot. Then, let players figure it out. If you can't kill it, come back. If you can kill it, you're rewarded. What's the worst that can happen, a player over powers themselves? I'd argue they earned it, so were already powerful. (and cheaters/exploiters will do it anyhow, so shrug).

I think game developers have gotten too smart for themselves and keep trying to do too much and just over-design everything and make everything needlessly complicated and ultimately worse. As mentioned, I don't want to have to look up strats just to not gimp loot. And it's not about having the best things, but more I don't want Uber Sword of Ultimate Slaying to be shit compared to a rusty dagger just because I happened to kill a mob too early.
I agree 100%.

In Morrowind if you knew where to go you could get geared from a low level. Why is this a bad thing?

If a level 1 player spends 1000 arrows killing a badass cockatrice and his beak drops as a weapon, it better be badass whether the player is 1 or overleveled.

I feel like this is a lesson the gaming industry should have learned by now. Sandboxes idealogy, like item scaling, makes everything feel generic. It doesn't have to. Sandbox RPGs are meant to give player freedom and choice and let the player experience different things based on their choices, not to make everything the same experience.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The gear scaling to your current level definitely seems like a bad design decision, unless the weapons and armor are all +1 gooder. In which case there wouldn't be any unique or interesting weapons so it wouldn't matter.

But I feel like a +1 gooder equipment design has many more design flaws than just allowing a level 1 to get a bad ass sword if they're ballsy enough to run through some high level areas to get it.

Vorph

Skip to 2:30 in the gameplay video from last week. Loot looks very generic and everything has a level req on it too, so even if they didn't scale shit down you still wouldn't be able to break the game with it.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Tuco_sl said:
I feel like this is a lesson the gaming industry should have learned by now. Sandboxes idealogy, like item scaling, makes everything feel generic. It doesn't have to. Sandbox RPGs are meant to give player freedom and choice and let the player experience different things based on their choices, not to make everything the same experience.
this was my favorite aspect of the Gothic series. Open world (for the most part) and it relied entirely on what the player could and could not kill. The game was completely different my first play through, my second play through, and then my third play through all based around that idea of what I could do and when I could do it. The first and the second one are so underrated.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Didn't Morrowind and OBlivion have that bullshit 'loot scales to your level' business for some of their unique items? I seem to remember there being certain items you definitely wanted to wait to get, and I remember using addons that scaled that stuff up with you as you levelled so that I could do whatever I wanted without accidentally getting something that would be utterly awesome if I had just waited 3 more levels to pick it up.

I don't trust any system like that unless there is also a system in place to upgrade stuff to its full potential (like in the Knights of the Nine Oblivion expansion, you could put the armor somewhere and it would scale up to a more powerful version as you levelled up).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I guess what's most baffling about the design is that monsters don't scale (if you're a low level in a high level area, you will get wrecked), but gear does scale...down.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
So for you to actually kill higher level mobs especially "rare" mobs that drop "uber" loots, you'll most likely have to glitch the fuck out of them with either spells (negate dmg/elements) or pathing (lol you can't hit me) and you guys are bitching about gear scaling? There is nothing wrong with it. Hell, I'd rather gear scale otherwise I'll be playing open world, glitch kill some random "rare" boss and have a weapon that is 10x more powerful then what I should have and thus make the next 6 hours of the game pointless because you two shot everything. All this does it make it much easier to balance overall because you will never get completely overpowered compared to your level range, balancing stats is already a very tough (if not impossible) thing to do in an open world single player RPG.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
What it means to me is they have an open world but it's not practical or rewarding to go off their predetermined track which kind of defeats the purpose.