Witcher 3

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Did anyone ever start just letting shit go? Not just question mark areas but entire quests? I am level 17, about to wrap up Novigrad and have been doing all quests from lowest to highest and they're turning grey anyway. I've half a mind to just finish up Novigrad and head over to Skellige with no intent to return to Velen. Game just jsn't a fun one to me when I attempt to see everything and thereby get too overleveled.
I made it all the way to Skellige, the infinite ??? littered in the water turning out to just be 500 smugglers lewt caches turned me off. Try to do every sidequest, some of them end up with epic storylines.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Skellige really dropped the boat with points of interest in the water. Largely because water combat was hardly a feature of the game - and just a requirement to explore the swimming was fine but the ?'s were pointless. If they had not been out in the ocean I probably would have visited them all, but shooting the cross bow at sirens from your boat is not gameplay I care to engage in for more than a time or two. I would have gladly decapitated piles of bandits at however many ?'s they wanted to populate the country side with.

I only had two remaining quests in my log when I finished. The final horse race in Skellige which bugged out, and the Gwent deck completion. I must have missed a vendor somewhere, because I acquired every quest related card (the Gwent tournament was enjoyable). If its given an entry in your log I would complete it, only because they are often starters to really good chains.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Did anyone ever start just letting shit go? Not just question mark areas but entire quests? I am level 17, about to wrap up Novigrad and have been doing all quests from lowest to highest and they're turning grey anyway. I've half a mind to just finish up Novigrad and head over to Skellige with no intent to return to Velen. Game just jsn't a fun one to me when I attempt to see everything and thereby get too overleveled.
I did alot of side missions and quest and exploration to a certain extent, at some point i just wanted to progress regardless of how much i hadnt uncovered so i did. I ended up being higher level than anything left to kill besides a few random L49 monsters i wasnt going to level for.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I keep hearing the leveling issue. Is it big enough issue to not get the game?
I'm thinking PC version will get a rebalance mod eventually.

HUH_sl

shitlord
Story quests tend to be longer and give much more XP than side quests, witcher contracts and treasure hunts. Finishing a story quest will almost net you enough XP to level up while it probably takes 5 or more side quests to do the same. Some of the story quests can be pretty involved with multiple parts that you will want to finish back to back which ends up dumping a lot of XP on you.

If your afraid of over leveling quests then just avoid the story quests until you've completed all the lower level side missions. I did every quest I could and only ever had 3 or 4 go grey on me.

It's not even close to being a big enough issue to not get the game.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
The game is fantastic, the story alone is worth it. The leveling issue is a minor annoyance.

DMK_sl

shitlord
The leveling 'issue' is only an 'issue' if you're really enjoying the game. It's kind of a paradox. You'll be enjoying the game so much it's easy to look past. I'm not really sure how they could have done it. As you want to get some XP doing side quests to feel a sense of progression.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
If you're a strict completionist (always finishing your lowest level quests first), you will be outleveling content by about halfway through Novigrad. That said, enemies can still be pretty challenging on the two highest difficulties unless you are also updating your equipment every 1-2 levels. But none of this is enough to detract from the experience. Buy this game.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I played on Death March and common trash 10 levels lower than you will still kill you if you let yourself get swarmed and try to fast attack spam your way out.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Keep planning to go to Skellige but these sidequests that pop up at the end of Novigrad are really, really good. The Play's the Thing, Cabaret, Carnal Sins, etc. I'll be hideously overleveld (20) by the time I hit Skellige, but whatevs.

They really nailed the character interactions in this game. I haven't played the first two Witchers (maybe 15 min of the first - ugh) but the conversations between Geralt and Dandelion in particular are a joy. You see Geralt rolling his eyes and haranguing, but you also see the very real affection between them.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'd like to see stats on how many people actually finish the Carnal line properly. I'd bet quite a few people just go in swinging at the wrong time and end up missing key dialogue which they think ends the quest but doesn't.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I meant to go back and see what happens if you end that one before the true ending.

There were a couple of other bad things I did in Velen that I shamelessly undid. If you bother to read the glossary it gives little insights as to what the long term repercussions of your unfortunate choices are. For example, unleashing the plague specter said it triggered an outbreak that reached pandemic levels and the effected cities had barely recovered a hundred years later or something super dramatic like that.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I stopped playing shortly after reaching Skellige and havent really been able to get back into it. I think when I do I'll restart and ignore most if not all of the points of interest and just do quests/sidequests

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
After spending over a hundred hours on the game, I can't remember a single point of interest that stands out as, "Wow, I'm really glad I came to see what was out here!" All of the interesting ones had breadcrumbs to them, eventually, whether it be a treasure hunt, witcher contract, or secondary quest.

When I got to Skellige, I only did the points of interest that I literally ran through on my way to something else... which is saying a lot because I'm the classic OCD explorer archetype gamer.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just beat the game. I don't know about you guys, but I was pretty happy with the ending I got. I think it reflected my choices well and left me pretty satisfied. Out of curiosity I looked at all the potential endings, and while they bragged about 36 possible endings, there's really only 3 major ones for the main characters.

I can't wait for the expansions. Based on the possible endings
it seems like they aren't going to follow what you guys said was in the books - Ciri becoming the main character - since one of the endings she dies. Though I suppose they could revive her in some way or retcon it.

If I'm reading the announcement correctly, the expansions will take place during the main campaign of Witcher 3. Hopefully we won't have to start from scratch to play them at the appropriate level. By the time I faced the last boss, it was level 30 and I was level 34. I won't say it was trivial on Death March, but the fight was basically a battle of the wills. I did actually have to use my White Honey (clear toxin and potion effects) for the first time all game so I could keep stacking potion effects... so there's that.

Overall, I'd say 9.5/10. The controls and inventory were too flawed for a perfect 10, imo. The points of interest were never interesting, and there were some pacing issues around the Novigrad, but everything else was (mostly) perfect. I could count the number of "collect X bear ass" quests on one hand (and there are dozens if not hundreds of quests in the game).

If you're an RPG fan, you need to play this game.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
According to the author, the games are non-cannon, so what we are playing is essentially fan-fiction :p

Carnal sins - well, there were a few things before you run into a potential killer that stood out for me, so no matter how much I wanted to kill the guy, I knew it wasn't the correct decision...

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
If you are talking about the priest, I killed the guy anyway. But I still killed the coroner too.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm torn on which version of Witcher 3 to buy. PS4 or PC. PC version would be on a laptop below minimum specs, but it sounds like I can play it on lower settings. PS4 version speaks for itself. I'm leaning towards the PS4, but not being able to mod things like max weight and durability make me a little cautious. Recommendations?

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure PS4 is somewhere between medium and high settings; compound that with a losing battle your diminutive laptop monitor fights against a TV, and the decision seems pretty easy to me
tongue.png

Weight has never been an issue for me - I've had to sell like twice on account of weight burden, though I'll confess I generally sell stuff whenever I visit a merchant.