Wizardry Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
The combat felt very awkward to me, I saw the option for controller yet no way to map macros or hotkeys to it.

Using the keyboard my character felt very stiff and unresponsive, and even though there was alot of players online I never saw them in the dungeons with me.

Kinda like TERA but with even more "Channels" per dungeon to detract from the PVP element which was the only thing that had me interested in this title to begin with.
Yeah, you're right the combat did feel stiff for me until I got used to the Target Locking mechanic (which I don't like) but once I learned to combo and block with my fighter it was entertaining. I mean, I'm not complaining... compared to the whack-a-mole 1, 2, 3, 4 mind numbing combat of all the recent games I find WO combat quite amusing.

I think the first dungeon (Caligsomething Sewers) doesn't give the game justice. This game brings back the "resource management" back where mana/endurance plays a big part of how you win over a tight fight. Mana regenerates very slowly outside of "camps" and you cannot camp in combat. Your healer can go "OOM" something I've never seen in long years.

Oh and I like how traps can actually..... Kill You Easily. :p

moai13

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, you're right the combat did feel stiff for me until I got used to the Target Locking mechanic (which I don't like) but once I learned to combo and block with my fighter it was entertaining. I mean, I'm not complaining... compared to the whack-a-mole 1, 2, 3, 4 mind numbing combat of all the recent games I find WO combat quite amusing.

I think the first dungeon (Caligsomething Sewers) doesn't give the game justice. This game brings back the "resource management" back where mana/endurance plays a big part of how you win over a tight fight. Mana regenerates very slowly outside of "camps" and you cannot camp in combat. Your healer can go "OOM" something I've never seen in long years.

Oh and I like how traps can actually..... Kill You Easily. :p
What Laura said.

I REALLY like having limited (eg NO regen) HP/MP outside a few certain drinking wells or camps/pots. Traps can easily mess with your resource management if you don't pay attention. There are also XP drain mobs later on in the game!

Also some quotes which resonate from other forums (not official forums) since I'm not great with words...

"I dunno why everybody hates on the graphics, i thought they were beautiful for an F2P game.
You shouldnt be comparing it to games like DCUO, LOTRO, or Tera because these all started as subscription based games."

"Please name the MMO that has FFA Full Loot PVP, perma death and non tab-target action combat, I'd like to play it."

"If you missed the beta and are currently bored, I would recommend you check the game out. Give it a real try though, don't quit after 30 minutes. Some of the systems are quite complex and take time to appreciate (skill inheritance/class change etc.). The first dungeon I truly enjoyed was Chikor Castle (lvl 12ish) followed by Aria Resivoir, Temple of Oblivion, and Old Sewers. Basically the dungeons get more difficult, dangerous, involved, and rewarding the further you progress."

Last one is @ Fattyfat and my frustration at the twitter attention span culture.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
I dunno when I tried it there was no one else in the actual dungeons even though I saw 100s outside in the pvpless town area.

I was under the impression this game wasn't suppose to be instanced and the only way I'd be willing to overlook the horrific controls is if I could pvp people but there was never anyone else in my "channel/instance/game/whatever" to interact with.

wasnt tite

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dunno when I tried it there was no one else in the actual dungeons even though I saw 100s outside in the pvpless town area.

I was under the impression this game wasn't suppose to be instanced and the only way I'd be willing to overlook the horrific controls is if I could pvp people but there was never anyone else in my "channel/instance/game/whatever" to interact with.

wasnt tite
The first dungeon is very crowded (in the Eu server the first 6 channels are full).
When you enter a dungeon make sure you join a crowded channel if you want more people to interact with.

You can steal items (money too?) from players (or NPCs) or kill them but you'd turn red and then they can kill you without penalty of going red or even place a bounty on you.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
It was never explained in-game you can select channels.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So is this theme park with PvP, as in most of your gear comes from dungeons/pve? Or does it have crafting, and player housing and all?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played it in beta a bit. Felt more like an older gam-a certain old school feeling to it. I'm going to probably mess around with it again. It's worth checking out if you're looking for something a bit more detailed/challenging.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
this game is mired in technical issues and poor production values. If someone who actually knew how to polish could somehow be brought in or consulted on this project I can see it developing a small but fervent niche base of pvp'ers. It definitely takes risks from the norm, and should be lauded for that if nothing else. But it will probably die off from lack of funding/shitty mgmt

Lodor_sl

shitlord
this game is mired in technical issues and poor production values. If someone who actually knew how to polish could somehow be brought in or consulted on this project I can see it developing a small but fervent niche base of pvp'ers. It definitely takes risks from the norm, and should be lauded for that if nothing else. But it will probably die off from lack of funding/shitty mgmt
The game is 6+ years old. There is a reason why it took this many years to ever reach the western gaming shores.