Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Fucker

Log Wizard
Game itself looks cool. Borrowed a little too much from Diablo 3's style then threw sockets on the items which is meh.

Graphics and mechanics looks solid.

One fight is a straight Xerox from D3. Hell, some voice overs are also copied word for word.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'll check this out but I'm not going to pay $40 for it if that server shit is any indication.

They need to change the name to Wolcen Lords of Maintenance and drop the price to $20. Even if their servers were perfect, the game is a $20 game.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'd buy and play if the online things was up right now.

y3krbfkwb0h41.png

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
lol have fun with your game that's going to be in the red with reviews on steam
Well, it's a small company that's worked really hard the last 4 years to bring something new to a genre that's grown stale from just D3, GD and POE. Yeah, this is definitely gonna hurt their sales and reviews.

Glad you think it's funny though.

• 1Seriously?

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
The boss fights are pretty stupid. Kill it, nope, fight again, kill it, nope, fight again, kill it, nope, fight again, etc.

Better than D3's face tank everything yawnfests. I didn't play PoE so I can't talk to that. But it's way better than D3.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I'm not 100% sold on it yet and going to wait for some patches and other stuff before I buy it.

It's fucking embarrassing to not have enough capacity for the games release in this day and age. I know that they aren't a triple A studio but all the same it's even more reason to make sure that your ships tight for the release and it's not like the game didn't have any projected sales numbers as it's been on steam for years.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well, it's a small company that's worked really hard the last 4 years to bring something new to a genre that's grown stale from just D3, GD and POE. Yeah, this is definitely gonna hurt their sales and reviews.

tons of small companies that have worked really hard for 4+ years release games that have online content and work, but ya I do think it's funny they "worked so hard" yet still managed to have a complete launch failure. What's funnier is the people white knighting an unacceptable outcome this company took money with.

And the genre isn't stale at all.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Better than D3's face tank everything yawnfests. I didn't play PoE so I can't talk to that. But it's way better than D3.
I think he means how every boss has multiple phases where it just restarts a new fight after a cutscene instead of having organic phase swaps are certain hp treshold and stuff.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You should take another look at PoE if you think the genre is stale. Their latest innovation is finding how much of your screen they can paint black.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
GGG tends to pick visual themes for their leagues. For the current league, metamorph, they picked straight black. Almost everything related to league content is shiny black goo.

PoE has always had an issue with visual clarity, probably a side effect of the game being funded by MTX. There's just too much shit going on the screen sometimes. The black theme for this league just really accentuated it.

That said, the innovation comment was serious. GGG has been trying new stuff with PoE, some of it isn't that good, but it certainly isn't stale.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Ailment Damage confuses me in this game, since Ailments covers both DoT's and CC's. The DoT's I'm aware of are: Bleed, Burn, Poison and Shock. The other Ailments all seem to only apply a CC. Can anyone clear this up? I'm trying to plan out a passive tree that will buff the damage of DoT's to crazy levels.

Edit: Like the passive called Crippling Decrepitude in the Cabalist tree. It increases "Ailment Damage by 50%", but lowers non Damage over Time skills by 15%. This doesn't make sense in how Ailment Damage is used here. Every Staff skill has a mod for Ailment Chance and Ailment Damage, so how would this passive work on skills that only apply a CC rather than a DoT (if the game makes you think they can do Ailment Damage)?

Last edited:

Caliane

The Ailment Damage confuses me in this game, since Ailments covers both DoT's and CC's. The DoT's I'm aware of are: Bleed, Burn, Poison and Shock. The other Ailments all seem to only apply a CC. Can anyone clear this up? I'm trying to plan out a passive tree that will buff the damage of DoT's to crazy levels.
yes. you can see the effects of ailments in the character screen. show details, scroll down. each ailment has different rates.

elemental
Fire-burn aoe damage over time. .6s
Lightning-shock aoe damage over time. 1s
Ice-Freeze. prevents acting or moving.

Material.
physical-stun. prevents acting or moving.
toxic.- poison damage over time. .9s
rend-bleed damage over time. .5s

Occult.
Aether-stasis. slows the movement of target. 10% effect 1st stack, +1% per stack after.
sacred- weakness. reduces targets damage dealth. 5%1st, +1% per stack after.
shadow-cursed. increased damage taken. 5%1st, +1% per stack after.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm not 100% sold on it yet and going to wait for some patches and other stuff before I buy it.

It's fucking embarrassing to not have enough capacity for the games release in this day and age. I know that they aren't a triple A studio but all the same it's even more reason to make sure that your ships tight for the release and it's not like the game didn't have any projected sales numbers as it's been on steam for years.

I'd wait. I just finished, and the thing is a giant stack of bugs and other issues. People are still having their offline characters deleted. How they let that show stopper through is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure they ran out of ideas at some point and decided to rip off D3. Much of the 3rd act is a copy, as are some of the voice overs. Hell, even the sorcerer pose is a direct copy of D3. One fight is a shameless Xeroxing of a D3 fight.

The "endgame" is a grindy joke. I looked at the req for the 5th spell slot and I laughed...never mind the fact that it is a poorly done tack on.

The campaign is 15 hours, much of that was spent walking. There's nothing wrong with exploring if there is something to see, but it is clear the map design was designed to draw the play time out.

• 1Like

Jox

Molten Core Raider

What did they bring that's "new" to the genre? Other than it being NOT d3 or poe.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yes. you can see the effects of ailments in the character screen. show details, scroll down. each ailment has different rates.

elemental
Fire-burn aoe damage over time. .6s
Lightning-shock aoe damage over time. 1s
Ice-Freeze. prevents acting or moving.

Material.
physical-stun. prevents acting or moving.
toxic.- poison damage over time. .9s
rend-bleed damage over time. .5s

Occult.
Aether-stasis. slows the movement of target. 10% effect 1st stack, +1% per stack after.
sacred- weakness. reduces targets damage dealth. 5%1st, +1% per stack after.
shadow-cursed. increased damage taken. 5%1st, +1% per stack after.
Right. Yet, what IS Ailment Damage referring too? Some people say AD simply applies to the "hit" dmg of CC ailments and the "tick" dmg to DoT ailments, and this would make sense... except for Crippling Decrepitude. That passive implies that it will buff "tick" damage, but it calls "tick" damage Ailment Damage. There are several Staff skills that only do the CC type Ailments, yet have a mod that buffs Ailment Damage; like Eclipse, it will only do Shadow or Sacred damage... but has the AD mod.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Right. Yet, what IS Ailment Damage referring too? Some people say AD simply applies to the "hit" dmg of CC ailments and the "tick" dmg to DoT ailments, and this would make sense... except for Crippling Decrepitude. That passive implies that it will buff "tick" damage, but it calls "tick" damage Ailment Damage. There are several Staff skills that only do the CC type Ailments, yet have a mod that buffs Ailment Damage; like Eclipse, it will only do Shadow or Sacred damage... but has the AD mod.
I've seen this on some skills, I think maybe it's meant to boost ailment if you add ailment damage to it, via added damage mods or something else, maybe. Like for example you have the passive that makes so you can apply 2 different ailments per hit, then you add say toxic damage to the skill via items(toxic to spells on staff), now you can apply curse+poison or weakness+poison for example, in which case the ailment mod affects the poison part. It'd be worth it since ailment damage doesn't scale with the hit, it's a flat value per stack, so even if you only add 1-2 toxic damage to a spell, assuming it's the 2nd highest source of damage, you're now getting full damage poisons.

It's possible they just added some blanket mods and didn't double check this kind of stuff though, there's a bunch of broken or suspect mods.

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
What did they bring that's "new" to the genre? Other than it being NOT d3 or poe.
Well, off the top of my head, new story, new skills/skill tree, new gear combinations, new maps and visuals. Like you said, it's not D3 or POE and that's good enough for me. Those games are 7-8 years old now.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well, off the top of my head, new story, new skills/skill tree, new gear combinations, new maps and visuals. Like you said, it's not D3 or POE and that's good enough for me. Those games are 7-8 years old now.
PoE had new maps/monsters added like 3 or whatever years ago when they added 6 acts, and they add new skills every patch. And they're redoing the entire visuals next year, so it's not like it's stagnating. D3 on the other hand yeah. GD released an expansion last year with a bunch of new stuff. There's also some other games in the genre, not very popular ones but like they made a Warhammer and a Warhammer 40k arpg last year or so(I didn't play either they looked pretty bad but still). There's also the korean one that looked awesome until they completely killed their own hype by not announcing they were porting it in a reasonable timeframe. And there's another korean one that supposedly should release at some point maybe.

Like yeah it's new but it's not great and it's not original ideas or concepts either it's all existing stuff, just presented in a new way, and it's not like the genre is entirely dead either, there's games releasing, and games announced, it's not FPS or Sports games but there's a fair bit of them, it's just a lot are so bad you don't hear of them, this one kinda got lucky with the time it released I think and got a lot of hype over it rapidly but at the end of the day it's not a high quality product at all. And the team size isn't super relevant, if you have a small team, then you should focus on a small project that the team can make. It's like Pantheon, you can't really say "oh it looks like shit but it's ok cause it's a small team". I mean you can, but ultimately if you know you have a small team and low funds you shouldn't bite more than you can chew. There's indie games that are huge success made by even smaller teams(Hollow Knight, Binding of Isaac, Stardew Valley etc) but they went with things that are doable.

The idea that you should host online servers was a poor design decision. It's especially poor when you haven't ran any serious QA so shit like characters or stash disapearing happens frequently enough that it's almost a "common" issue, or that you have several large glaring exploits that will ruin the whole point of trying to make it a "secure" online environement(magic find stacking bug for example but read there was also some potential dupe). They should have ran standard online servers and MAYBE after a few weeks opened some special "closed" online servers for people who want to do that. Or you know, ran a proper beta instead of having a 1year old outdated client for beta.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've seen this on some skills, I think maybe it's meant to boost ailment if you add ailment damage to it, via added damage mods or something else, maybe. Like for example you have the passive that makes so you can apply 2 different ailments per hit, then you add say toxic damage to the skill via items(toxic to spells on staff), now you can apply curse+poison or weakness+poison for example, in which case the ailment mod affects the poison part. It'd be worth it since ailment damage doesn't scale with the hit, it's a flat value per stack, so even if you only add 1-2 toxic damage to a spell, assuming it's the 2nd highest source of damage, you're now getting full damage poisons.

It's possible they just added some blanket mods and didn't double check this kind of stuff though, there's a bunch of broken or suspect mods.
Yea, that is the only way having those mods on those skills would make sense.

While this just makes me laugh:
unknown!.jpg