Woodworking

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
A router sled table for flattening that also has a movable face mounting surface so you can do jointing, chamfers, and tapers of basically arbitrary size. Pretty cool.

Dude is kind of a beast with ideas.

He's a little late though, I already built my slab table and won't be building another one!

Although I guess I could use a jointer.....

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Those are sectional charts. I use them all the time at work and they are the worst fucking maps that have ever existed in the history of mankind. I'm offended that you even suggested such a thing. Literally shaking....

edit: I do like the idea of aviation-themed and nautical-themed maps, but I think FAA sectional charts are an abomination. These are the two places I get most of my inspiration -

The larger the geographic area, the higher the chance it's going to be underwhelming with my current CNC setup and capabilities. I only have 0.7inches or so of relief that I can cut into it. On something like the Kansas City, Missouri one I did (where I picked a big footprint and the real terrain is mostly flat), it creates significant vertical exaggeration. I think it ended up being a ratio of something like 1:32 horizontal:vertical. Vertical exaggeration is kind of cool (and the old vacuformed topo maps from USGS are usually 1:3), but usually it's the opposite. Usually it ends up flattening the whole area. So, for example, something like Mt. St. Helens with a 30-mile buffer around it would end up looking like a small bump instead of a mountain.

Draw me a boundary in google earth and send me the KMZ file and I can check it real quick to show you with my custom shader, but more than likely you'd get something better from STM or Whiteclouds right now. Give me a few more years of working on this stuff and I'll be ready for big ass maps. ;)

This is what I'd recommend -

I have one of their models sitting behind me on my bookshelf at the office.

I emailed STM after I made this post just to ask them for a ballpark quote on something with certain dimensions. Hadn't talked to them in a few years. Got this autoreply....

1698333653067.png

Burns

I dropped a couple bids, but it auto incremented up. Probably won't bid on any unless my friend says he'd fly down if we actually got something
With 11 days left and millions of people living close to that auction, I'd wager that there wont be very many bargains.

Although it's still worth watching, if your interested in anything; when I was looking for my car, I watched one, as part of a group of auctions in Phoenix, that went for 15% less than dealer auction price (black book).

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
With 11 days left and millions of people living close to that auction, I'd wager that there wont be very many bargains.

Although it's still worth watching, if your interested in anything; when I was looking for my car, I watched one, as part of a group of auctions in Phoenix, that went for 15% less than dealer auction price (black book).
As someone who loves auctions, this is true. Auctions usually sell stuff for the going rate or higher when people get competitive. There's no reason to bid before the last minute or two of the auction, you're just tipping your hand. Also don't pay any attention to the price before the last minute either. The prices now mean nothing. The real bidding happens at the end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Alrighty. I finally finished my rolling lumber cart. I'd like to work on a decent dust collection setup next, after/in-between working on this map table.

Anyone have any general recommendations on where to start, other than the 50 YouTube videos I already watched? I was thinking I'd tuck the unit and a bin into the back corner, then run PVC along the entire length of one wall. Not sure if I should put it high or low. Right now I have 2x 2ft x 4ft work benches along that wall, along with my CNC and a bunch of lumber storage. I'd like it to eventually be a couple of those flip-top carts.

Edit: Nevermind. I think Izzy Swan talked me out of doing this.....for now. Or working on the carts for any of the bench top tools first, at least.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Typically ducting is run high to keep it out of the way of the rest of your stuff, unless you can run it under the floor.
Even with high ceilings?

I'm just starting to move everything away from this wall so I'm not worried about going around anything. But I'm not going to have any issues with suction if I run the PVC along the ceiling?
Screenshot_20231029-113713.png

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Even with high ceilings?

I'm just starting to move everything away from this wall so I'm not worried about going around anything. But I'm not going to have any issues with suction if I run the PVC along the ceiling?
View attachment 497815

The higher you go, the less effective your suction will be. I have mine run along the wall just below the height of my work tables. Works great, is out of sight, yet easy to reach if there's ever a problem.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

$8/m is pretty steep. Wonder how much content is available and what the release is. On one hand I’d love to watch his explanations and details, but on the other the sereneness of the base videos is a large part of the attraction. I’d probably burn myself out after 1 month and then lose interest in the free vids.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

$8/m is pretty steep. Wonder how much content is available and what the release is. On one hand I’d love to watch his explanations and details, but on the other the sereneness of the base videos is a large part of the attraction. I’d probably burn myself out after 1 month and then lose interest in the free vids.

Yeah, the appeal he built isn't an instructional or even a personality channel, but as a sort of zen atmosphere of watching a skilled guy do what he wants efficiently. I like his previous stuff but this doesn't attract me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

just a bruised thumb, shows full speed in the beginning and frame by frame at 8min in.

used to listen to a classical radio station when doing wood work, as i don't love or hate it, so it would just be there, but after the station went away, don't listen to anything.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I got a set of these. I was thinking I'd rather mount them to a rolling workbench (that's going to be stationary against a wall) instead of to the wall itself. Is that a dumb idea? Anyone seen plans for something like that? The rolling lumber cart I made taught me that the stuff I "improv" sucks compared to what I make off plans.
Screenshot_20231105-072643.png