Woodworking

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Anyone looking for a router plane, this is a good deal in the next 8 hours. I did some pretty comprehensive research on the available models and decided that I liked the feature set and value proposition of the Katz-Moses 17 compared to Veritas, Lie Nielsen, etc. I haven't used it yet, but it just arrived today and I really like the feel & weight, and all the mechanical parts are smooth-moving and well finished. (Only complaint is the the handle flanges are a little sharp. Nothing 10 seconds and some sandpaper can't fix.) Link below is to the factory direct version. Ships with a extra pointed double-edge blade and and edge guide.

Why buy it from banggood instead of katz moses' site? Just curious edit: I'm dumb, and didn't comprehend that you told me why... Derp

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Why buy it from banggood instead of katz moses' site? Just curious

The JKM version comes with the same fence and extra blade. I'm a cheap fuck contributing to the decay of small business and this is $45 cheaper. I got a free bench dog clamp from some other promotion, too.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, fucked up my router sled today, tried to take too big of a chunk and instead of bogging, caught some monster kickback on the router. Lesson learned, now I know what I can take and can't. Perfect time to order an endmill while I build a new sled.

• 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

I've been doing some research into air filtration in the shop and found these useful. I'm going to make one of the five- or eight-filter designs before I do any major new projects.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I've been doing some research into air filtration in the shop and found these useful. I'm going to make one of the five- or eight-filter designs before I do any major new projects.

These are some great videos. I didn't realize you could put something together so cheaply and easily that would be effective at clearing the air. Had to leave the garage in between passes, because it looked like a fucking flour mill in there as I was surfacing that shit.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
The youtube algorithm decided I would like this genius today.

The only place in my life that Woodworking videos and dudes cutting elevation maps is right here.... Bandwagon Bandwagon is this you?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lol nope. Street maps with a laser cutter / engraver is pretty common though. And my belly ain't that big.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

What software do you guys like for modeling projects? I'm looking for something both for a set of small cabinets and a bed that I could use for planning, bonus points for generating a cut list. SketchUp is the obvious one, any other suggestions?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think SketchUp is easiest to learn. Fusion360 is pretty damn cool too, but steeper learning curve I think

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Sketchup is going to be your best bet. IMO It's the right mix of cost/feature for Woodworking. Fusion360 and other CAD like that is too general purpose. There's some paid cabinet shop software that's good, but it's expensive and very specific to sheet goods planning/cutting /optimizing. Also theres tons of sketchup learning content available specifically around Woodworking

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I liked moving to Fusion 360 just to prove that I could learn something new. But probably should have just stuck with Sketch Up.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Must resist urge to buy CNC router table. Stop talking about this you assholes.

• 1Dislike

Captain Suave

A rotated version of a planer sled for jointing. This had never occurred to me before. A bit fiddly and you obviously need a calibrated bandsaw + fence, but neat idea.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I found mine on facebook marketplace. Some guy that was getting divorced posted it. Maybe you should go have yourself a look see
Obviously as a responsible adult I didn't already do this a few days ago but thank you for the idea.

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea, I meant that's the only one where both pieces can be done on a single z axis, with no flips or hand work. You'd have to dogbone the female cutout, but otherwise it all can be done from one sheet. I like it.

Also, the male pieces is what you can't do on a CNC without flipping it. Or without better software than what I'm using. I can't even do keyholes, so using a bit like that to cut a tenon without flipping isn't really an option

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you want to build your own cabinets/flatpack equivalent stuff, is it worth looking at 4x4 size stuff even? I feel like there's a lot that you can't do like tops or bookcases and stuff like that.