Work At Home / Online Marketing etc.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My biz requires a decent amount of communication, but a lot of it is maintenance too. I'd say 1/2 of my clients leave me alone to do the work and the other half are the opposite.
Awfal_sl said:
I find that customers will only be as high maintenance as you train them to be...
Perfect response Awfal. I was originally going to respond with something similar, but I didn't want to make any presumptions. Awfal's right though and the best solution is to create processes to deal with it. Designate specific times out of your day that you will respond to clients. Notify them of this "policy change" and communicate to them that this change will help your company serve them better. Then consistently follow through with the new change. If you're stubborn about the new process, while they may resent it, they will ultimately fall into line eventually and you'll have your time back.

Companies hire consultants to initiate this sort of stuff for them, but luckily you won't have to spend any money to make this change and you'll save yourself time and gain efficiency!

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
I've worked from home for about a year now, and it can be hard not to screw around. I've found the best way to stay productive is to get into a routine. Do some of the things you would normally do going to work outside home: shower, getting dressed, getting to your computer/phone at a set time. Or you'll look like the oatmeal guy in about a week. Yeah the schedule is usually shot to hell around lunch, but at least this way you start the day on the right foot.

Also if you live with family, be sure to be clear about what a closed or locked door means.

a_skeleton_04

<Banned>
When I worked from home, having a demanding schedule is what did it for me. Constant conference calls (yes they sucked) people IMing me asking when the server was coming back up, or when the patch was going in etc, or asking when this or that is getting finished is what kept me productive. But I find when I have a completely self run schedule (ie no one on my ass) I backslide big time and it is much harder.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I am in technical sales for a large company that saw the work from home studies and decided to try it out. Our whole sales force has between 1-5 days WFH per week and they have seen the productivity rise, sick leave fall dramatically, and worker happiness has gone through the roof. I have to admit that when I first started doing it that I felt far less productive at home; but now I am 4-5 days WFH per week and really feel that my least productive days are the ones spent in the office where inpromptu meetings, chatty co-workers, and my friends distract me from just getting my shit done.