WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
How old do soccer players usually get before retiring? I know it's not a very physically demanding game all you really have to do is run, I've seen marathon runners in their 60's and 70's.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Yeah goodie for Howard but its bullshit that we allowed Belgium to shoot that many times

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
How old do soccer players usually get before retiring? I know it's not a very physically demanding game all you really have to do is run, I've seen marathon runners in their 60's and 70's.
They're usually good until menopause kicks in, so mid 40's - early 50's.

Szlia

There wasn't much quality though until they went behind.
That's a little unfair, there was a number of dangerous fast breaks always with a number of players sprinting up the pitch to crowd the box, but the finishing touches were lacking.

In this end we saw a lot of entertaining matches in this round of 16 (some by the quality of play, some by the drama, few by both), but all the group winners beat the group runner-ups! LAME!

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
If Wondolowski had made that goal at the end of regulation and it was called off sides, I'd have snapped my TV in half. Dude was on side by like 4 feet.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
If the greatest athletes in the US focused on soccer we would be dominant. If Mike Trout, LeBron James, Calvin Johnson, or any of the great RBs in the NFL spent all their time on soccer instead of other American sports? C'mon, man.
The majority of great athletes in American football and basketball are successful due to skill AND size. Soccer is much more reliant on overall skill rather than how tall or strong you are. The majority of basketball players would be too tall and football players too big, and thinking with your feet is obviously much different than thinking with your hands, which we do naturally anyway.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Great spirit from the US team. Really loved to see them play . Tim Howard was a(bove) God.
I know it can be shitty to think you could be in the 1/4 finals if it wasn't that huge miss at the end but you have to be really proud of this team.

Elerion

N00b
Around 65 the diving starts causing bone fractures.

More seriously, generally around 32-35. Goalkeepers last ~5 years longer. Injuries add up over time, and older players get so much slower at accelerating that they end up losing too many duels.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
According to their income statements Fifa made 3 billion.

NFL 42 billion.
Errr no...

"This year revenues for the National Football League will be somewhere just north of $9 billion" (42 billion is for the TV rights up to 2019 - 2022.)

How The National Football League Can Reach $25 Billion In Annual Revenues - Forbes

European football alone made over $19 billion in 2008. FIFA isn't run like the NFL, they don't get all the TV money from leagues around the world.

If Sutekh is butthurt it's only because the next 6-7 months of his sporting life are centered on the traveling ape show called the Miami Dolphins. Team USA was his last chance for a while.

PKS

N00b
Obviously it's never going to be true, why would they waste their time with Soccer? It's not something people play here. If the culture were completely different and we allowed ourselves to be ruled by England for the past 300 years? Yeah Lebron James and Calvin Johnson would be absolutely destroying everyone out there. But we didn't and they don't.
Nope. Can't say that. Just an arrogant ideal, and nonsense idea to compare completely different sports. But let's indulge you since you don't relent: NFL & NBA are highly athletic sports. Put it backwards, would Messi ever have hope to have a professional career in this sport? He's what, 5'5 and isn't the quickest. Probably wouldn't get into a high school team for just fun. Not to deny your 2 superstars are probably super talented as well as athletic but it's only proven with a ball in their hands, not their feet.
Seriously, what planet are you on that you simply hope that the skills that allow you to hold a ball & run can just transfer over to a sport that has an incredible amount of technique with your feet.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
If Sutekh is butthurt it's only because the next 6-7 months of his sporting life are centered on the traveling ape show called the Miami Dolphins. Team USA was his last chance for a while.
Big words coming from the fan of the Washington Racist Dumpster Fires!

Nope. Can't say that. Just an arrogant ideal, and nonsense idea to compare completely different sports. But let's indulge you since you don't relent: NFL & NBA are highly athletic sports. Put it backwards, would Messi ever have hope to have a professional career in this sport? He's what, 5'5 and isn't the quickest. Probably wouldn't get into a high school team for just fun. Not to deny your 2 superstars are probably super talented as well as athletic but it's only proven with a ball in their hands, not their feet.
Seriously, what planet are you on that you simply hope that the skills that allow you to hold a ball & run can just transfer over to a sport that has an incredible amount of technique with your feet.
Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp for you. Our players born and bred to play their respective sports, it's easy to be large and strong. The hard part is being able to properly benefit off your set of skills you get from birth. If our entire country was devoted to creating Soccer stars, they would be born and bred to play Soccer, and just like everything else we're born and bred to do (Save the world from killing themselves, freedom, make money, etc.) we'd be the best at it. Sure you can call it arrogance all you want, but you can't deny that if this country cared as much about Soccer as it did about NFL that we would be a perennial contender.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Really proud of this USA team and I am not even American!

As Hutchy mentioned before, I just only wished England showed even a little of their passion.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Not very physically demanding compared to football, equally demanding compared to basketball I'd say, and very demanding compared to baseball. It's not just the running, but cutting, jumping and kicking. Cutting does a number on the knees especially, much more than any other sport. It can be quite physical with body contact too. Two players on the U.S. team were playing with broken noses, which are very common. I broke my nose and ankle playing soccer. If that isn't considered physical than I don't know what is.

I'd say you could still play well into your 40's or even 50's if you're healthy, but no where near the same level obviously. This is why you see a bunch of players in the European leagues jumping to MLS or other 2nd tier leagues in the late 30's.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
US also has over 300 million people. I'm sure we could scrounge up some really good players just by the numbers game.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah, running in a football match and running a marathon are exactly the same. More proof Sutekh is a 400lb human pig who never did any sports after he left mid school
wink.png

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah, running in a football match and running a marathon are exactly the same. More proof Sutekh is a 400lb human pig who never did any sports after he left mid school
wink.png
I'm 215 currently, I would agree running in a marathon is much harder than a soccer match. In a marathon if you're competing you can't just pretend to trip on a pebble and all the runners stop and wait for you or get subbed out if you're tired. Not to mention the distance is much greater.

What do you consider mid school? I played throughout high school and still play basketball at the gym during the week with some friends, some football in the summer.