WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bradley - what the fuck man... Can't complete a 5 yard pass tonight.
I've watched the US team a good bit, and this was the worst game I've ever seen him play. He was terrible tonight.. the entire midfield was bad. I don't think they strung together more than 4 passes in a row the entire game.

I think it was a mistake leaving Donovan off the team. Doubly so now that Altidore is hurt.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
MLS is full of physical play and not much on creative football. MLS should really crack down on the physical play but they don't do anything about and it hurts the sport in the US.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I nearly shit myself when we hit that header in. My wife told me to quiet down. I waved my flag in her face and told her yelled "MURICA!!!" at her.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Heartbreaking for my wife's family yesterday with Ecuador choking away their lead. So now she gets to see me celebrate the USA win
smile.png

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
So, as a relatively new fan of soccer, I have a question.

Soccer has been huge in our youth for at least 10 years (I have an 11 year old who has been playing soccer since he was 3) are we ever going to field a team that gets respect around the globe? Seems like every kid plays soccer for a good while in this country....what happens to them? Move on to "cooler sports"? I just cant figure out why we dont have more really good players by now.
Yes. It's that simple.

Imagine Adrian Peterson as a midfielder. Lebron as a forward. Larry Fitzgerald as a striker. Imagine if our best basketball and football players decided that soccer will their professional sport. But they don't. My theory? The best of the best leagues are in Europe and Latin America. These kids aren't growing up saying to themselves hey when I grow up I am going to live in Barcelona and play for a club overseas.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
can't believe USA managed to pull that one off... even more amazing is that they're going to the knock out round if they can pull out a tie against the overly emotional try-hards from Portugal

So, as a relatively new fan of soccer, I have a question.

Soccer has been huge in our youth for at least 10 years (I have an 11 year old who has been playing soccer since he was 3) are we ever going to field a team that gets respect around the globe? Seems like every kid plays soccer for a good while in this country....what happens to them? Move on to "cooler sports"? I just cant figure out why we dont have more really good players by now.
Cooler or more likely richer sports. The 0.0001% of kids who actually end up with the talent/genetics for playing pro sports realize that in the U.S. the money is in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

Like obviously an NFL defensive end prospect is not going to play pro soccer based on body type and shit alone, but if you're able to decide between playing wide receiver or midfielder the one with the life changing contracts is obvious. Unless you want to live in Europe or something.

It's a chicken or egg thing. If soccer can ever compete with the other major league sports in terms of dollars, popularity, etc. maybe some of our top athletes would focus on a career there instead of the more lucrative big 4 leagues we have in US/Canada.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yes. It's that simple.

Imagine Adrian Peterson as a midfielder. Lebron as a forward. Larry Fitzgerald as a striker. Imagine if our best basketball and football players decided that soccer will their professional sport. But they don't. My theory? The best of the best leagues are in Europe and Latin America. These kids aren't growing up saying to themselves hey when I grow up I am going to live in Barcelona and play for a club overseas.
it's not quite that simple. American culture doesn't take kindly to the kind of pussy shit shenanigans that are commonplace in Euro soccer. though to be fair Obama and pals are doing their best to get us there.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
it's not quite that simple. American culture doesn't take kindly to the kind of pussy shit shenanigans that are commonplace in Euro soccer. though to be fair Obama and pals are doing their best to get us there.
I will agree with you on that. Sometimes I think I am watching the WWE. You'll see a guy crumble to the ground clutching a shin screaming in pain...30 secs later he's up and sprinting. WTF is this shit?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Soccer is gay, but watching the United States of America exert it's dominance over black dudes is hilarious.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Beating countries that really care about soccer is its own reward.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seriously, Ghana has AIDS and soccer and they just lost to a team who's country only values the sport as something for their 9 year old daughter to do.