WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Gerrard should never have been on the field today. Him and Lampard are holding the squad back.
No question about it - its the reason England haven't progressed as a unit for god knows how long. This "Golden Generation" of England has done exactly fuck-all internationally. I don't care that Gerrard, Lamps, Cashley, Rooney etc have done well for their clubs - they've all been relative shit at the international level (Cashley not so much to be fair to him, he's been good).

Why bring all these young guys if you're going to insist on doing what doesn't work, and what has never worked? Lallana? Surely he warranted a start ahead of Stevie G. Welbeck was dreadful, surely give a chance to Lambert who had some decent moments in the buildup to the World Cup. Just your formation for fucks sake, play to your players strengths. Cut the fucking fat, and start over with the kids - they literally could not have been any worse than the shit England have produced thus far. Just strange management all around, and the squad put out today had no impetus and no backbone. This Uruguay team isn't scaring anyone, and in their own right didn't offer much, yet still found a way to win. England didn't. Roy should be shit-canned tomorrow and the captain put out to pasture.

All that said, welcome to the fold Neki - being a USMNT fan is much more fun than limping out of major tournaments in increasingly hilarious (though often sad) ways.

Chris

Potato del Grande
We need to qualify for the usual agonising last minute draw from behind and penalty shootout..?

When I was little the UK was shit at sports with usually a good Formula One driver, one decent Rowing team and Snooker and Darts which nobody else plays. Everything else was fucking painful and tragic to watch. Since then lots of investment has gone in and we have won the Rugby, Cricket and now rape several Olympic sports. Even the Tennis has been fixed. EVEN THE TENNIS. You won't understand the Tennis thing unless you are English, but it really was a yearly national trauma.

Nothing has had more investment than Football as the Premier Leauge shows, we should DEMAND more than this. Stop the losers/media personalities as manager, stop the players famous for being famous from playing and throw young players at tournaments.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
All that said, welcome to the fold Neki - being a USMNT fan is much more fun than limping out of major tournaments in increasingly hilarious (though often sad) ways.
I always like to support the underdogs which is probably why I have Spurs as my team.

USA I always liked as a team and really fancy their chances against Portugal and to progress to the knock out phase. Sometimes, passion is just as important as skill and USA has that in spades.

England was just a bridge too far for me though.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Even the Tennis has been fixed. EVEN THE TENNIS. You won't understand the Tennis thing unless you are English, but it really was a yearly national trauma.
Andy Murray doesn't really count though if you are English.

Szlia

Even the Tennis has been fixed. EVEN THE TENNIS. You won't understand the Tennis thing unless you are English, but it really was a yearly national trauma.
Nothing has been fixed in english tennis on a systemic level. A scottish guy happened to have good dispositions for the sport, be the son of a tennis coach and then went to spain as a junior to try and fulfill his potential. That's an outsider. The system produces guys like James Ward or Daniel Evans who are 150ish at the ATP. It's a little less grim with the women but not by much.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
LFC fans with mixed feeling?
Obviously disappointed for the LFC players in the England squad. Disappointed that Gerrard will potentially have the blame laid at his feet.

But not disappointed that it was Suarez that put England out. Payback for the FA banning him for racism without any proof.

Hodgson lasted six months at LFC because the football was awful. Putting him in charge of England was never going to yield success.

Agree the time is right for Gerrard to retire from intl football. But do not agree with opinion he has held England back. At his peak he was one of the Worlds greatest midfielders.

If anything held England back, it was all the managers from Sven onwards, trying to make Gerrard/Lampard work. Should have had the balls to drop Lampard and find a solution that worked.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always like to support the underdogs which is probably why I have Spurs as my team.

USA I always liked as a team and really fancy their chances against Portugal and to progress to the knock out phase. Sometimes, passion is just as important as skill and USA has that in spades.

England was just a bridge too far for me though.
England is not an underdog though, they're a team full of high profile players participating steadily in top UEFA competitions that just happens to play like complete dog shit at every international tournament. They're basically the complete opposite of your support-worthy underdog

oh well, on to the next terrible match

Neki

Molten Core Raider
England is not an underdog though, they're a team full of high profile players participating steadily in top UEFA competitions that just happens to play like complete dog shit at every international tournament.
I will definitely consider them as underdogs when compared to nations like Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Netherlands etc

Fuck, even FRANCE managed to turn it around faster than England and they were complete shit after their back to back tournament wins.

The last time the England national team managed to win anything was damn near 50 years ago.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will definitely consider them as underdogs when compared to nations like Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Netherlands etc

Fuck, even FRANCE managed to turn it around faster than England and they were complete shit after their back to back tournament wins.

The last time the England national team managed to win anything was damn near 50 years ago.
yeah, Football's Coming Home lyrics need to be fixed.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Apparently Hodgson thought they controlled Suarez pretty well. That kinda sums up the sort of manager he is.

Szlia

It's not like Suarez had 15 opportunities during the match. The problem is that he does not need many to score.