WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

frqkjt_sl

shitlord
You are on crack. Even with an injured Ronaldo they are probably the 3rd best team in the world with Spain bombing the way they did.
Are there some injuries or something for Portugal? For those of us who do not follow soccer much, it seems Portugal is doing poorly. Bad loss to Germans, and now barely tie US team that looked terrible against Ghana - the same Ghana team that tied Germany.

It just seems a bit much calling them 3rd team in the world? Before you flame, I'm honestly asking. I don't follow the sport much.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
That was a really entertaining game in many ways, but there were huge mistakes on both sides. The Americans mid-field looked terrible. It will be interesting to see who advances.

That double save was incredible, and the denied American goal when the goalie was outside having made a save and the defender stepped in? crazy.

People who think soccer/futball is not fun to watch don't understand the sport, and that's entirely understandable. The more you understand a sport, the more you see the strategy, the more you see the plays unfolding, and so forth. Saying something is stupid or boring without having a good understanding of it seems silly. But, you know, whatever.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
You are on crack. Even with an injured Ronaldo they are probably the 3rd best team in the world with Spain bombing the way they did.
Why do you think they are the 3rd best team in the World? The World Cup itself is a small sample size, game 1 for Spain vs. the Netherlands if Pedro scores it's 2-0 and game over and then who knows from there. Portugal needed a playoff vs. Sweden to even make it here so I'd like to know why you think they are so good.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Good news for the Portugal Ghana game is that muntari is out for Ghana. He is their engine in the central midfield and it should hurt them tremendously.

Szlia

Just for rerolled I made a very ugly chart to resolve what is going on in the 3rd group matches.

When there is a point equality, the first criteria is GD (goal difference) and then GF (Goal For or Goal Scored). If points, GD and GF are all equal, I am not sure what's going on (Argentina wins 1-0, Iran wins 1-0 is such similar situation).

The clusterfuck award goes to group F that has two ways of ending in a three-way draws (for the 2nd place behind France or for both places).

rrr_img_69673.gif

frqkjt_sl

shitlord
Just for rerolled I made a very ugly chart to resolve what is going on in the 3rd group matches.

When there is a point equality, the first criteria is GD (goal difference) and then GF (Goal For or Goal Scored). If points, GD and GF are all equal, I am not sure what's going on (Argentina wins 1-0, Iran wins 1-0 is such similar situation).
Fucking Ghana(injury faking, flopping every bump, pussies) is getting through with Germany over US on GD. In the first half of Ger/Ghana match, I was really impressed with those short-distance/precise passes under pressure on Ghana's half to open up shots/crosses, and I can see it ripping USA defense apart.

lol the way Portugal was playing there Ghana is gonna eat them alive especially considering that they still have a chance to go through if they win against Portugal and then try to score as many goals as possible to go through on goal difference

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
are you insane? Who is? Do you know where the players Portugal fielded yesterday actually play?

One plays for Dynamo Kiev. Two play for Fenerbahce. One plays for the Sporting LisbonB Team. Two play for Valencia, the only club actually in a top league, but they only finished 8th last season. Half the team are bench warmers, the better ones like Nani at better clubs, but still bench warmers.

They have the currently best player in the world, but the rest is mediocre. I clearly see 7 or 8 teams ahead of them.

yeah I think we'll wait for that reddit guy to update his, thanks though
wink.png

faille

Molten Core Raider
to be fair, Portugal are officially ranked 4th in the world. Given that Spain can't be considered #1 on current form, you could say Portugal are 3rd.
All that does is highlight how flawed the rankings are, not to mention they also list England at 10!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
that ranking is probably still feeding off the Golden Generation around Figo. Give it a few years and they will disappear. World Cup 2010 they got eliminated in round of 16, Euro 2008 in the quarterfinals.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
that ranking is probably still feeding off the Golden Generation around Figo. Give it a few years and they will disappear. World Cup 2010 they got eliminated in round of 16, Euro 2008 in the quarterfinals.
I think the ranking system only goes back four years now, but that wouldn't seem to explain why they are so high up. Hmmm. The system also doesn't differentiate between losing 5-4 and losing 5-0, either way the losing team gets nothing and the winning team gets the same points. It ranks Costa Rica below Scotland, which tells you all you need to know about how accurate it is.

Elerion

N00b
After GD and GS, the matchup result (MR) between the teams decides. So in the case of Japan - Cote d'Ivoire, if they are equal after GD and GS, Cote d'Ivoire will progress because they beat Japan in their matchup. In the case of a three-way tie, the total number of points in the matchups between the three teams will decide, and then the GD and GS in those matchups.

The confusing part is that the World Cup uses a system of GD > GS > MR as a tie breaker. The European Championship (which is essentially the exact same tournament format, just smaller and ran by UEFA instead of FIFA) uses MR > GD > GS.

If the teams are equal after the methods above, FIFA (World Cup) draws lots, while UEFA (Euros) use their own fucking ranking system to decide who progresses.

FWIW, I prefer FIFA's method. GD and GS are great ways to encourage offensive soccer and thus more entertaining games.

Elerion

N00b
Portugal got 3rd in Euro 2012, going out to Spain on penalties.