WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That's why I said I could see the refs being crooked, that's a lot more plausible seeing as how most are shit anyway so how can you really tell?

Anyway, 10 more days to go. Excited!!
All you need to do is tell / buy the ref on the field and tell him which team must win and you are done. Why would you bribe half a team of multimillionairs when you are better of with buying a shitty ref with pocket change or threats on his "career".

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Ok, now we're just arguing over the same thing. Anyway, nice shirts Springbok. I got my kids Ecuador scarves as my wife's side of the family will be having huge parties for their games.
smile.png

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All you need to do is tell / buy the ref on the field and tell him which team must win and you are done. Why would you bribe half a team of multimillionairs when you are better of with buying a shitty ref with pocket change or threats on his "career".

Are you saying that's not a legit penalty?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
That's why I said I could see the refs being crooked, that's a lot more plausible seeing as how most are shit anyway so how can you really tell?

Anyway, 10 more days to go. Excited!!
Not sure if this link has already been posted. It's something when your bribe is so big the bank gives you a commemorative gift set.

JOHANNESBURG - A soccer referee named Ibrahim Chaibou walked into a bank in a small South African city carrying a bag filled with as much as $100,000 in $100 bills, according to another referee traveling with him. The deposit was so large that a bank employee gave Mr. Chaibou a gift of commemorative coins bearing the likeness of Nelson Mandela.

Later that night in May 2010, Mr. Chaibou refereed an exhibition match between South Africa and Guatemala in preparation for the World Cup, the world's most popular sporting event. Even to the casual fan, his calls were suspicious - he called two penalties for hand balls even though the ball went nowhere near the players' hands.

Mr. Chaibou, a native of Niger, had been chosen to work the match by a company based in Singapore that was a front for a notorious match-rigging syndicate, according to an internal, confidential report by FIFA, soccer's world governing body. FIFA's investigative report and related documents, which were obtained by The New York Times and have not been publicly released, raise serious questions about the vulnerability of the World Cup to match fixing. The tournament opens June 12 in Brazil.

...FIFA's investigators concluded that the fixers had probably been aided by South African soccer officials, yet FIFA did not officially accuse anyone of match fixing or bar anyone from the sport as a result of those disputed matches. A FIFA spokeswoman said Friday that the investigation into South Africa was continuing, but no one interviewed for this article spoke of being contacted recently by FIFA officials.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
your dog doesn't like germany ahah
Ya, he's Jewish
frown.png

Anywho, will post the Brazil/Argentina kits as they come in.

Probably not the right thread for this, but...

Does ANYBODY want Cesc Fabregas? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Poor guy can't seem to find a team, ha.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Any good fantasy league things for the world cup?
Might be good to setup a rerolled one?

Neki

Molten Core Raider
A WC fantasy league where all participants chip in $5-10 with the winner takes all would be awesome

Dyvim

Are you saying that's not a legit penalty?
Dude even the corrupt FIFA apollogized to Australia after the wc and stated it was not a legit one, but a flop.
Interesting that last minute penalty allowed Italy to survive group stage and to collect the trophy in the end for what its worth.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Just grabbed USA vs Germany tix, cat1 $150. Score one for the communists today. The capitalists on stubhub can go fuck themselves.

Nxs_sl

shitlord
Poule predictions:

Group A:
1. Brazil
2. Cameroon

Group B:
1. Spain
2. Netherlands

Group C:
1. Colombia
2. Cote d'Ivoire

Group D:
1. Italy
2. Uruguay

Group E:
1. France
2. Ecuador

Group F:
1. Argentina
2. Nigeria

Group G:
1. Germany
2. Portugal

Group H:
1. Belgium
2. Russia

I hope my home country (Netherlands) does well enough but I can't see them getting into the finals. Secretly I'm hoping Spain wins it again; that would truly be a remarkable feat. I'll enjoy watching Belgium and Germany as well and I'm interested in seeing how France will perform.

The meeting room at work got renovated recently with a mega-huge screen. Just in time for the World Cup!

DiddleySquat

Belgian here, so obviously pumped with the WC. Vibe in the Belgian team is very good at the moment and the team spirit is strong. Main points to still work on are concentration in defense and efficiency in offense.

My predictions for the top 2 in the groups:

Group A:
Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Group B:
Spain
Netherlands
Chile
Australia

Group C:
Colombia
Greece
Cote D'Ivoria
Japan

Group D:
Uruguay
Costa Rica
England
Italy

Group E:
Switzerland
Ecuador
France
Honduras

Group F:
Argentina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria

Group G:
Germany
Portugal
Ghana
USA

Group H:
Belgium
Russia
Algeria
Korea Republic

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Belgium and Uruguay are my dark horse picks for winning the World Cup.
Belgium have the players to do very well but I think they're going go out against Argentina in the quarter finals.

Uruguay are in a worse spot. On paper it's a tough group and whoever gets out of it is almost certain to be playing either Brazil or Spain at the quarter final stage.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I wouldn't be surprised by Belgium winning it, I think 2018 is more likely but they do have the players as Running Dog is noting.

Uruguay on the other hand is still starting Diego Godin who can barely move at this point, I just can't see it happening as good as Suarez is.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Looks like Reus is probably out as well. Bummer - one of my favorite players around right now.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Things could get interesting off the pitch

Brazilian riot police have used tear gas against protesters in Sao Paulo, three days before the World Cup opening game in the city's main stadium... The protest was called by Sao Paulo metro workers who are striking in support of a 12.2% salary increase. Sao Paulo metro workers have been on strike since Thursday, creating traffic chaos in one of the world's most congested cities.

Arena Corinthians, where the match will be held, is on the outskirts of Sao Paulo and access to the venue without public transport could be a huge challenge for fans.
BBC News - Sao Paulo police tear gas protesters

The citizens of Rio and Sao Paulo are the first to draw a direct connection between Fifa's gigantism and overpriced public transport and inadequate schools and hospitals. Many view this World Cup as a ruse to redirect wealth from the poor to the rich and think it obscene that $3.47?billion (?2? billion) can be spent on football stadiums in a country peppered with favelas.

Brazilians are refusing to play the role of maraca-shaking, samba-dancing extras. And now they have a choice to make. Strikes and widespread demonstrations could yet paralyse this World Cup. Many will say that the blame would then lay with Fifa and the Brazilian government, who have used paramilitary police to "pacify" many favelas and preached the gospel of infrastructure transformation.
World Cup 2014: Brazilians have still to buy into the Fifa carnival, and now they have a choice to make - Telegraph