WORLD CUP 2014 - BRAZIL

Tea_sl

shitlord
The biggest problem with both of these arguments (Soccer is boring because all they do is kick the ball around, Football is boring because all they do is stand around) is that they're perpetuated by people who don't actually understand the sports in general. If you're not a soccer fan you don't notice the strategy going into the plays, passes, etc. Ditto for Football, you don't realize what's actually happening in between snaps or what's happening when a play is being ran. Therefore it looks boring to the uneducated spectator.

Except for Baseball, that shit is just fucking boring.

This is also a very large aspect in American football, that's where the term "Any given sunday" originates from. On any given sunday any team can win regardless of circumstances.
I don't buy it. I played soccer through high school, and was a ref for 6 years at higher levels. I get that in the grand scheme of things this puts my soccer knowledge at fuck and all. I get that there are nuances, and I'm pretty sure I still pick most of them up. There are tactics, but they are pretty shallow.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know man, maybe it's just not for us then. Because I think Soccer's pretty boring too but the rest of the world thinks opposite of us (likes soccer, think's football is boring).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't buy it. I played soccer through high school, and was a ref for 6 years at higher levels. I get that in the grand scheme of things this puts my soccer knowledge at fuck and all. I get that there are nuances, and I'm pretty sure I still pick most of them up. There are tactics, but they are pretty shallow.
But having the QB give the FB the Egg and having him try to push through a 10 people line, that's deep and elaborate tactics at work?

Tea_sl

shitlord
But having the QB give the FB the Egg and having him try to push through a 10 people line, that's deep and elaborate tactics at work?
Yes that specific play, which most teams will run on average less than once a game is very shallow. If you want I will effort post on what happens in the bog standard off tackle run, which is probably the most basic play in football that actually gets run within the average downs progression.

PKS

N00b
You can't even compare the two arguments of "standing around" versus "kicking a ball around", and state that you need to understand what's going on. American Football has got to be one of the more frustrating sports in the world for what actually goes on. There's like10-12 minutes of actionper match, where you have men doingnothingfor the most part whilst when action starts, it lasts an average of 4 seconds. Then there's 20-30 minutes of replays, 60 minutes of commercials... etc. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not. Those plays are exciting adrenaline bursts of action, yes, but spare a thought to the poor souls in the stadium who have to sit through every single break for 3 hours!
At least in a boring 90 minutes of "kicking the ball around", you get to watchsomething, and maybe if a game isn't that exciting you would still be likely to at least see 10-12 minutes of exciting moments.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Are you talking about ice hockey? I'm not really in a "sport" where open violence is part of the game and actually endorsed.
"Violence" is not part of the game, nor is it endorsed. There are some dumb people who say fighting is part of the game, but they are wrong. The physicality of the game is part of the excitement, and that's what pads and helmets are for.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Are you talking about ice hockey? I'm not really in a "sport" where open violence is part of the game and actually endorsed.
Not surprising from someone who is primarily a fan of a "sport" where flopping and rolling around like a faggot is part of the game and actually endorsed.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can't even compare the two arguments of "standing around" versus "kicking a ball around", and state that you need to understand what's going on. American Football has got to be one of the more frustrating sports in the world for what actually goes on. There's like10-12 minutes of actionper match, where you have men doingnothingfor the most part whilst when action starts, it lasts an average of 4 seconds. Then there's 20-30 minutes of replays, 60 minutes of commercials... etc. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not. Those plays are exciting adrenaline bursts of action, yes, but spare a thought to the poor souls in the stadium who have to sit through every single break for 3 hours!
At least in a boring 90 minutes of "kicking the ball around", you get to watchsomething, and maybe if a game isn't that exciting you would still be likely to at least see 10-12 minutes of exciting moments.
You guys really seem content on forcing this argument. So I'll oblige.

"Poor souls" I've been to probably 80 football games from having season tickets and it's not boring in the least in the stadiums. The "breaks" aren't bad at all. If you can't handle 30 seconds of not having HIGH ACTION then you might want to see a doctor about getting some medicine to calm down. Just like in Soccer every player in Football has his own action and duty to perform. When the play happens on the field it's physically impossible to pay attention to all 22 players at the same time, which is why we get "20-30 minutes" of replays. Nearly every single play is a spectacle to watch and for a fan of the sport watching the replay allows us to review and enjoy what every player's doing on the field. In this comparison people kicking the ball around mid-field and then back to their goalie and then back to mid-field and then back to the goalie is identical to watching teams huddle, call plays, and substitute players in. The only difference is if you're watching at home you can just turn the channel to one of the various other games playing when a commercial comes on.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I had never watched American football prior to moving to the States 14 years ago. Since then, I have come into the habit of going to 5 or 6 games a year. It's very entertaining. I've gotten to know the sport pretty well.

I also go to a dozen or so NHL games a year. Love it.

I also watch a lot of soccer. Fantastic.

I don't ever go to baseball or basketball. Don't like it. That's because I don't know much about those sports, and don't particularly enjoy watching them. It isn't because the sports are crap, or boring, or anything, it's because no one is going to love every sport. Who has time for that? Follow the sports you like, don't be a douche canoe about the sports you don't like.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had never watched American football prior to moving to the States 14 years ago. Since then, I have come into the habit of going to 5 or 6 games a year. It's very entertaining. I've gotten to know the sport pretty well.

I also go to a dozen or so NHL games a year. Love it.

I also watch a lot of soccer. Fantastic.

I don't ever go to baseball or basketball. Don't like it. That's because I don't know much about those sports, and don't particularly enjoy watching them. It isn't because the sports are crap, or boring, or anything, it's because no one is going to love every sport. Who has time for that? Follow the sports you like, don't be a douche canoe about the sports you don't like.
People bitching about there only being 10-12 minutes of action in NFL games are the same type of people that would make a video of a hockey game where it only shows shots on goal with a caption of "LOOK HOW BORING HOCKEY IS, THERE'S ONLY 10-12 MINUTES OF ACTION!"

PKS

N00b
1) Nearly every single play is a spectacle to watch and for a fan of the sport watching the replay allows us to review and enjoy what every player's doing on the field.

2) In this comparison people kicking the ball around mid-field and then back to their goalie and then back to mid-field and then back to the goalie is identical to watching teams huddle, call plays, and substitute players in.

3) The only difference is if you're watching at home you can just turn the channel to one of the various other games playing when a commercial comes on.
I don't think I can quite illustrate to you how nauseating this sounds to an outsider. You've just told me that your happy that you have more commercials than actual sports, INCLUDING your replays. You've also told me that you think guys standing in a huddle, not doing any sport, is identical to a build up play from a soccer team in possession and I seriously can't understand how you can think such a thing, alas we come from 2 different worlds.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_70044.jpg

for regular league.

Prices for watching the game against CR7 where they got smashed out of the Champions league:

Kategorie 1 150 ?
Kategorie 2 120 ?
Kategorie 3 90 ?
Kategorie 4 65 ?
Kategorie 5 40 ?

funny they still have these prices on their website
smile.png
Quineloe, which team do you follow? just curiosity....

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Supporters play a big part in the atmosphere as well, LFC players went to a Red Sox game 2 years ago and didn't understand why the team was playing music on their own. That doesn't happen in Europe as the clubs fans sing and chant throughout the whole game, helps that their drunk as shit while doing so but hey whatever...

Some pics:

rrr_img_70050.jpg

dortmund-fans.jpg

18014.jpg
For me that is the BIGGEST difference between european and american fans, the mentality.
Americans just want to see a show, something spectacular. and they have so many distractions (music like you said).
Europeans only have the game to watch and that's it. We live the game in a much deeper way: choreos, banners, pyro.
And you only showed english side (which Anfield is the only stadium in the EPL with great atmosphere) and BVB. You go to Greece, Serbia or South America and it's totally insane.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think I can quite illustrate to you how nauseating this sounds to an outsider. You've just told me that your happy that you have more commercials than actual sports, INCLUDING your replays. You've also told me that you think guys standing in a huddle, not doing any sport, is identical to a build up play from a soccer team in possession and I seriously can't understand how you can think such a thing, alas we come from 2 different worlds.
Where did I say I was happy that I have more commercials? I was happy that we have instant replay, when the feature was introduced into football it revolutionized the game. It showed people just how skilled the players were and the amazing amount of details that went into every single play. No where did I say I was happy about seeing the new Bud Light Lime for the 200th time.

To you substitutions and play calling is boring. To me kicking a ball around on your side of the field is boring. You probably have been watching Soccer your entire life, I watch it for a month every 4 years. I've played football since I was 5 years old and have been watching it my entire life, you maybe watch the superbowl and that's about it? It's not really hard to understand.

For me that is the BIGGEST difference between european and american fans, the mentality.
Americans just want to see a show, something spectacular. and they have so many distractions (music like you said).
Europeans only have the game to watch and that's it. We live the game in a much deeper way: choreos, banners, pyro.
And you only showed english side (which Anfield is the only stadium in the EPL with great atmosphere) and BVB. You go to Greece, Serbia or South America and it's totally insane.
This isn't unique to soccer, watch a college football game the same level of intensity or excitement from the fans is there, if not greater in some parts of the country. Just you know, minus the riots and deaths and stuff.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Soccer has plenty of huddles too. It's when they are constantly falling down faking injury so the guy can run off the sidelines and use the magic squirt bottle and spray on them. Might as well run commercials during that shit.