World of Darkness

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The IPs are already licensed to Onyx Path to continue making pen and paper games. However, of all the video games licensed by White Wolf over the years, Bloodlines was pretty much the only one to make it to shelves. I remember seeing a Werewolf game back in the day at DragonCon that looked pretty great but never made it out of development.
I would imagine Onyx Path only has the license for books and tabletop gaming paraphernalia, while CCP retained the rights for electronic games, so I don't think they would have any issue giving that out to someone else.

Bloodlines was the biggest name to come out of WoD videogames, but not the only one to release; there was an unrelated vampire game, whose title I'm blanking on, and I believe there was a series of hunter games, as well.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Pity. Well, if they aren't going to do anything with it, hopefully they'll have the sense to license the IP out to someone else and let them make some games. I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at someone doing some single-player WoD games in a similar vein to VtM: Bloodlines.
Reminder: CCP

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i wonder how far they got in making WOD? think there's enough there for everyone here to pony up some money and finish the project? i'm smelling a rerolled kickstarter!

Syringed_sl

shitlord
The following is a collection of screenshots from the World of Darkness alpha that have been leaked. They've been taken from various comment sections/threads regarding WoD's cancellation. I am unfamiliar with the relationship between White World/CCP regarding if it's possible for the rights of WoD to be sold off to someone better suited for the job. Bethseda/Obsidian would be great choices. I really don't give a fuck about vampires in general but Bloodlines is one of my favorite games of all time and the franchise deserves better.

rrr_img_64736.jpg
rrr_img_64737.jpg
rrr_img_64738.jpg
rrr_img_64739.jpg
rrr_img_64740.jpg

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Bloodlines is one of my favorite games of all time...loved the setting, too bad it never got to continue on while so many other shitty IPs keep on going.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The following is a collection of screenshots from the World of Darkness alpha that have been leaked. They've been taken from various comment sections/threads regarding WoD's cancellation. I am unfamiliar with the relationship between White World/CCP regarding if it's possible for the rights of WoD to be sold off to someone better suited for the job. Bethseda/Obsidian would be great choices. I really don't give a fuck about vampires in general but Bloodlines is one of my favorite games of all time and the franchise deserves better.
White Wolf doesn't exist in any meaningful capacity anymore, and hasn't for a number of years. CCP bought the company in its entirety, and White Wolf became a wholly owned subsidiary. It was eventually shut down because the RPG publishing model White Wolf was based on simply isn't profitable anymore, and most of their game lines went through a sort of "end of life" phase where plots were wrapped up, etc. A couple, like Exalted, found new life thanks to some very passionate developers and strong player bases, and the Kickstarter projects for 20th anniversary versions of games have done well.

Onyx Path is a separate company set up to handle publishing of further RPG products. CCP owns all of the old White Wolf intellectual property, and licenses it out for use by Onyx Path (for tabletop games) and By Night Studios (for live-action books). There is no longer a White Wolf Game Studios, and most of the people recently let go by CCP were employees of WW back in the day who transitioned over to working on the MMO project.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I get this whole "The Animations on release are still going to be fucking terrible" vibe, from those screen shots. I wanted to see this game release, but those screens werent an "awwww, we missed out" moment at all.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Sigh, so how bout CCP takes all that vampire related material and rehires a good chunk of the staff they just let go and put out a Bloodlines 2? Original Bloodlines is how old and still getting support from the fans..? I can not believe that would not generate them some positive cash flow.

Syringed_sl

shitlord
Sigh, so how bout CCP takes all that vampire related material and rehires a good chunk of the staff they just let go and put out a Bloodlines 2? Original Bloodlines is how old and still getting support from the fans..? I can not believe that would not generate them some positive cash flow.
I really wouldn't be surprised if a development team saw the disappointment generated by the cancellation of this and hit up Kickstarter with "Bloodsucker: The Deception". I wouldn't expect the kickstarter to pull in "Mighty No. 9" amounts of cash but I'm sure with Vampire's fanbase, it would pull enough for CCP to feel a tinge of stupidity on their part.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really wouldn't be surprised if a development team saw the disappointment generated by the cancellation of this and hit up Kickstarter with "Bloodsucker: The Deception". I wouldn't expect the kickstarter to pull in "Mighty No. 9" amounts of cash but I'm sure with Vampire's fanbase, it would pull enough for CCP to feel a tinge of stupidity on their part.
This game is the only MMO I'm interested about. Such a shame really... I wish CCP would do a Kickstarter to get this project back on track again. I would bet they can EASILY EASILY get ~5 millions especially with these screenshots and the fact that the game is backed up by a respectable company.

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
Really don't get why they cancelled this one. I thought it would be CCPs next big thing. EVE still prints cash but it seems they should be looking at doing a new MMO. EVE is a great game. One of the few I have over a year of sub time on. That said, it can't just keep growing. The space thing really limits the potential audience. I know I have tried, on multiple occasions, to get friends who love PVP into the game. They are always interested right up until I explain you are always in a space ship.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They blew a ton of money (that was printed by EVE subs) on the engine groundwork and basically abandoned their cash cow for nearly 2 years during that, and when all that came out of it was a shitty one room prototype it all blew up in their face because the players wouldnt have it (cash shop and all the sub money going into WoD/Dust instead of EVE). They had the choice between trying to fix/rework what they revealed in Incarna into something thats works on MMO scale and losing their EVE subs over it, or silently burying the WoD game in the backyard. It's no surprise really and this has been dead for a couple of years, there just wasnt an announcement about it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Or they couldn't afford to fund Dust, WoD and Valkyre all at the same time so something had to go and it turned out to be this. The other two tie into EVE so they're probably hoping to make some money from their current fans. This one was a complete departure for them and risky. Personally I would have rather seen Dust and Valkyre get the axe for this project but sadly I'm not the one with the money.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'd assume Dust is leaking just as much money, it certainly isnt getting decent word of mouth. It has ties into EVE though so that might keep it afloat. Valkyrie is a newer thing, WoD was already dead by the time so that doesnt figure in.

I couldnt play Dust for more than 15 mins, it felt archaic compared to recent games like Planetside 2. I felt that this is what CCP should have done. A proper PC FPS shooter, not some throwaway console trash lobby shooter.

Now that this is gone, i could really go for a grand theft auto goes vampire sort of thing. I think the first person to make this kinda game is going to roll around in money.

Like the free roaming Amazing spiderman game, but with more meat on it, like a hybrid of bloodlines and grandtheft auto.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Several members of the WoD development team told the Guardian that this early bump in the road was exacerbated by extreme disorganisation on the part of CCP's Icelandic management. Very shortly after initial development began, the company started blurring the lines between the World of Darkness and Eve projects.

Repeatedly, staff were shifted over from the former to work on expansion projects for the latter. At times, our sources say, the entire WoD staff was put onto Eve, particularly during the development of 2009 add-on Apocrypha.

..."There were plenty of developers who would get redirected to create Eve content for three to six month cycles. During these times, World of Darkness development was significantly slowed down. I remember the upper management often exasperatedly trying to figure out what to do with the remaining staff for a six-month period while their artists and programmers were busy elsewhere."

...This constant yo-yo effect contributed to a development cycle in which planned features were partially completed and then dumped numerous times over. There seemed to be no clear vision on how the various parts would create a cohesive end product. Sources report that, over the nine-year period, the game effectively reached alpha - the stage at which all the major features have been implemented - three times, only for each version to be scrapped.
World of Darkness - the inside story on the death of a game | Technology | theguardian.com

There's much more inside the link, and it doesn't paint a good picture of CCP management.