World of Warcraft: Current Year

Rime

<Donor>
Heh...

6.2.3 is not even out yet, which has a new PVP Season in it.

So... yeah. First quarter 2016 is looking hopeful at this point. My guess is closer to a spring or summer release for the movie.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
First quarter 2016 is looking hopeful at this point. My guess is closer to a spring or summer release for the movie.
Even Q1 is doubtful, unless they unleash the beta at Blizzcon (which they might). My guess is more like May or June.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
The pre-expansion event is supposed to basically be a full patch this time though, rather that just a sideshow i.e. 7.0 will be the "pre-expansion" content (and it is supposed to be content - an entire new zone, iirc, as well as the stuff happening in the existing world) while actually being the first patch of the expansion while the expansion itself unlocks in 7.1 (or 7.0.whatever).

And I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Legion beta did start right after Blizzcon - Overwatch F&F beta started early when they could haveveryeasily held that back a week and a bit and hadthatas the big launch, so they might have something else planned for next weekend.

xzi

Mouthbreather
The did mention that when Legion was first being announced, that the 7.0 pre-event was supposed to be more of an "event" and less "2 quests". I'm excited to see whatever they have to say at blizzcon at least.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'll be pleasantly surprised if that turns out to be true, but I'm not expecting it. It's their job to keep people excited about their game and exaggerate the truth.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
DKs are fine overall. Frost is only better than Unholy on 2-3 target Cleave Fights, so most of what you see is Unholy since it has higher single-target damage and 4+ target damage. Unholy/Breath of Sindragosa burst during Ring Activations is just too sexy. Frost was ludicrous going into Hellfire Citadel Patch, but got a solid thwack from the nerf bat. Drinking Horn, which was amazing for Frost, also got nerfed. Once an Unholy DK gets his archimonde trinket, the Xul'horac meters become hilarious (and no other fight, hooray terrible trinket). Pretty much every raid is better with a DK or two, thanks to DeathGrip+AOE DeathGrip.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can't decide whether or not I want them to drop some amazing shit at Blizzcon to get me hooked again, or just totally drop the ball so I can quit playing WoW for the first time in 12 years.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It'll be a combination. They'll drop some amazing powerpoints, and none of it will make launch next November. They will then assure us it's fine, because their team is expanding to 25,000 workers for the next expansion, at which point we will get expansions bi-weekly fo realsies, scout's honor.

spronk

FPS noob
activision buys maker of candy crush for $5.9 billion USD
Activision Blizzard Acquires Candy Crush Maker King Digital Entertainment For $5.9 Billion | TechCrunch

Part of the announcement noted Wow was at 5.5m subs, down 100k from last quarter but bleeding has slowed down. Interesting sub graph

EgExqwu.png

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think the WoW tokens are slowing the subscription losses, sorta like when they gave D3 and next xpac beta away if you subbed for a year.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think the WoW tokens are slowing the subscription losses, sorta like when they gave D3 and next xpac beta away if you subbed for a year.
WoW tokens have an impact on EU/NA realms, where there are 1.9 million active accounts. Usual in the industry is 10 to 15% extra inactive but paying (people are lazy), so we have something like 2.2 million paying subs in EU/NA. I doubt there's even 5% of players that use the tokens as their primary sub, so that means that tokens probably add at most 100k subs to the total. And some of them would probably still sub without a token system, so that's even less of an impact.

The year sub had probably more impact than that.

(The 1.9M active accounts come from MMOchamp, who scrapes the EU/NA armories in a loop and uses the activity feed to determine which accounts are being played and which are not or unsub)

*edit* I just checked the prices, and they've been steadily climbing, which means the transactions are probably drying up.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm subbed through Jan 2018 thanks to tokens, but I couldn't say how many other people use them like I do.

Column_sl

shitlord
WoW really is on it's last leg. You will probly see it spike to around 8 million for this new xpac with there use of promotional incentives.

Wouldn't be surprised if after 6 months WOW goes under 4 million.

At that point I would bet it goes free to play with micro transactions.

Just looking at the Activision numbers from yesterday. Destiny had 26 million registered users, and the rest of the Blizzard games are doing really well.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
WoW really is on it's last leg. You will probly see it spike to around 8 million for this new xpac with there use of promotional incentives.

Just looking at the Activision numbers from yesterday. Destiny had 26 million registered users, and the rest of the Blizzard games are doing really well.
Even at 4 FUCKING MILLION that is not a "last leg" scenario. Can we get some hyperbole in here?

No way WoW goes free to play in the next year. I could MAYBE see in 2-3 years a guild wars 2 model but they have zero of the infrastructure built and this is blizzard we're talking about.

Rest of your post sounds like a bunch of poopsockers pipe dreams. "Yesssss...the evil Casuals will have to play a hardcore game nowww!!"

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

4 million active paying subs is only about 3 million more than anyone else. Besides, they are already on the microtransaction bandwagon. They basically print money with all the mounts and other crap they sell.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The problem is that the WOW-team is right now "the biggest in the history of wow". I guess they cant get any smaller if they want to have *any* chance at all to make enough content to not loose more subbers. Compare that to the Hearthstone/HotS-teams, how big are those? 10% the size of WOW-team? Well, at least we know what ActBlizz priorities are... fucking 5+ bil.$ for Candy Crush... wheeee great for gamers right?

Even Blizz could have developed >10 AAA-MMOs for that kind of money
wink.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just wonder why content release is so slow for this game. It is still raking in money and I'm sure the team is pretty large. Yet features and content is still so slow to arrive. I wonder if the code base is just a spiderweb of code that adding features is a major and complete pain in the ass.