World of Warcraft: Current Year

Column_sl

shitlord
Even at 4 FUCKING MILLION that is not a "last leg" scenario. Can we get some hyperbole in here?

No way WoW goes free to play in the next year. I could MAYBE see in 2-3 years a guild wars 2 model but they have zero of the infrastructure built and this is blizzard we're talking about.

Rest of your post sounds like a bunch of poopsockers pipe dreams. "Yesssss...the evil Casuals will have to play a hardcore game nowww!!"
Wow currently counts active subs as active accounts that are on game cards, and free accounts in some parts of Asia where WOW is free to play with only the current Xpac being behind a pay wall.

Tokens also helping those numbers.

In 2011 at the height of it's popularity China alone accounted for over 3.5 million of that sub base.

You are delusional if you think WoW has 2-3 more years at it's current rate.

DavivMcD

Peasant
I'm subbed through Jan 2018 thanks to tokens, but I couldn't say how many other people use them like I do.
Yeah I've got about 5 years of tokens worth of gold if the price stays relatively stable. The thing is, it's not us that count as subbed, it's the people BUYING the tokens with cash. And since there are more tokens being bought than used (i.e. unused tokens are available on the AH at the moment), this helps pad their sub numbers a bit. How much is hard to say; I don't think there's any way to track how many tokens are on the market, just what the current price is.

Speaking of token prices, apparently on Korean servers they are going for over 190k each, yikes.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
4 million active paying subs is only about 3 million more than anyone else. Besides, they are already on the microtransaction bandwagon. They basically print money with all the mounts and other crap they sell.
Final Fantasy XIV reported 5 million accounts earlier this year and there are certainly more players now than ever before. It's subscriber numbers are growing at quite a pace.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
5 million accounts puts it under Blizzard's actual active/subscribed accounts. Is there reliable information for how many accounts WoW has had since 2004? It's undoubtedly many times more than 5 million.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Final Fantasy XIV reported 5 million accounts earlier this year and there are certainly more players now than ever before. It's subscriber numbers are growing at quite a pace.
5 million registered accounts really doesn't mean much of anything. WoW has what over 100 million registered accounts? Also the wow token isn't included in the sub numbers.

If Blizz shits the bed with Legion I could possibly see FF pass WoW as early as 2017 though. I doubt this will happen because I believe they have finally caught up from the Titan clusterfuck.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WoW isn't going away any time soon. Blizzard is positioning all their products around the existence of WoW as an all in one product offering. B.net is a one stop shop for all your gaming needs.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone really think that Wrath of the Lich King had the most subs because of nostalgia? or the fact it was only FIVE years old? Something was right about how shit was set up in that time period. Ive played each expansion and had more fun during that expansion than any other.

Column_sl

shitlord
WoW isn't going away any time soon. Blizzard is positioning all their products around the existence of WoW as an all in one product offering. B.net is a one stop shop for all your gaming needs.
No one is saying WOW is going away, don't worry. It has to get to the point where they are bleeding so badly there other products can no longer support it.

Will they get rid of the sub eventually, and go to more adventure packs, micro transaction, Nostalgia servers side of the market. I would say yes.

All their other games are either free to play, or Pay once.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
5 million registered accounts really doesn't mean much of anything. WoW has what over 100 million registered accounts?Also the wow token isn't included in the sub numbers.

If Blizz shits the bed with Legion I could possibly see FF pass WoW as early as 2017 though. I doubt this will happen because I believe they have finally caught up from the Titan clusterfuck.
I think they are - they are counted as 'prepaid subscriptions' now.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure why they wouldn't be included in the total calculations. They actually make $5 more on the tokens than a normal monthly sub.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Was goin by this.

Subscriber Definition: World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access.

Probably does count the tokens that are consumed but the wording made me think it might not. Especially since they aren't releasing sub numbers after this and want to use other metrics.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No one is saying WOW is going away, don't worry. It has to get to the point where they are bleeding so badly there other products can no longer support it.

Will they get rid of the sub eventually, and go to more adventure packs, micro transaction, Nostalgia servers side of the market. I would say yes.

All their other games are either free to play, or Pay once.
They might do that eventually but it is certainly further away than "last leg." They still make a killing on their subs not to mention the massive box sales when every new xpack hits. Legion definitely needs to breath new life in the game but even more of the same will result in large revenue. WoW doesn't need the other products to survive for a long time to come.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm subbed through Jan 2018 thanks to tokens, but I couldn't say how many other people use them like I do.
Given the lack of fluidity in the token market, I'm guessing something like 75-100k people tops. And probably half of them would stay subscribed even without tokens.
Wouldn't be surprised if after 6 months WOW goes under 4 million.

At that point I would bet it goes free to play with micro transactions.
It's not going to go F2P until

1) They finish restructuring the game so that you have more incentives to purchase fluff (we're finally seeing account-wide transmog, so you can add toys and skins to the store) since they probably don't want a P2W setting.

2) The accounting dept. is convinced you get more out of those F2P players than you get in subs.

Basically, not seeing F2P until they go below 1-1.5 million world-wide players.
Also the wow token isn't included in the sub numbers.
It is. Sub numbers is anyone who can play "right now" in non-trial mode, regardless of what was used to pay (box purchase, game card, token, recurring sub, cancelled but still running sub). It's a bit more complicated with asia and their pay-by-hour schemes, but there's still a bit over 2 million EU/NA subs.

(MMOchamp scrapes the armory and they report 1.9 million accounts with activity on them, and industry norm is 10-15% account subbed but not actively played. Yes, that high)

bayr_sl

shitlord
I bet it goes f2p at Blizzcon. What the hell else could they announce there. Legion is too far away for beta, Overwatch is already in beta, HOTS already has a release date etc, the other HOTS is dead shit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They could announce nothing of interest that will make it live like normal? RIP Path of the Titans.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does anyone really think that Wrath of the Lich King had the most subs because of nostalgia? or the fact it was only FIVE years old? Something was right about how shit was set up in that time period. Ive played each expansion and had more fun during that expansion than any other.
Lich king was a combination of probably the best expansion wow has had at a time when it was fresh and still in its strong growth stage. Still I don't see their current numbers as doom or gloom they are still raking in a ton of cash and they used the profits from wow to spin up other properties that are making very solid amounts of money that more than make up for any decline in a declining MMO. Wow is not going anywhere for a long time it may not be the 10 ton gorilla it used to be but it still will be in the top 3 most played MMO for the next few years at least and thats a hell of a lot of reoccurring revenue.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
When all is said and done, the fact that an 11 year old game is still pulling 5+ million in active paying subs is something. That's not even covering the amount of money they make on mounts and services which I'm sure isn't pocket change. The success of Hearthstone and even Diablo III means they are not completely reliant on WoW anymore to pull insane sub numbers. That more than anything is what will keep WoW from abandoning the monthly sub model for awhile. Now, if Legion completely shits the bed the way WoD did and they tank another 1.5 mil subs they may not go F2P but continue to see more 'fluff' in the store to make up for it.