World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I leveled my alliance druid to 120 a while ago and time to kill was slow as fuck as feral vs running resto atm, it's kind of absurd the difference and I don't understand why but hey whatever I'll take it

flight form too juicy and convenient

The biggest reason why resto is so fast for leveling is basically you can fight hordes of things with zero fear or downtime. You don't need to sneak around on anything just jog up and claw faces once in a while applying some hots and getting back to work. Feral is just enough squishier that their faster kill times gets offset by more not killing stuff time. Some of it also is healer DPS powers are overtuned because they have less options what they have hits harder so with feral affinity you don't have the full kit of feral but what you do have hits damn hard and being able to just flip the bird ad elites and group critters is nice.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
If they did that though the "real version" would likely have to be aimed at between normal and heroic otherwise you have very few people ever doing the content. Its weird doing all the difficulties but it maximizes the people using content that takes a long time and cost to create that if you aim too hardcore winds up being basically unused. All these difficulty levels came out out of player behavior over time and the desire that all this complex content is not basically abandoned even when it is new by all but the tiniest fraction of the player base.

I didn't stutter.

MMORPG's should have one difficulty and one version of the item that drops. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't stutter.

MMORPG's should have one difficulty and one version of the item that drops. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

The people who made wildstar felt the same way. It performed about as well as could be expected by catering to the "hardcore!" Basically if you go one difficulty you have two options. Make it easy enough that the bulk of your players can progress through it or make it HARDCORE and have most of your playerbase not have any end game content to do and get bored and quit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The people who made wildstar felt the same way. It performed about as well as could be expected by catering to the "hardcore!" Basically if you go one difficulty you have two options. Make it easy enough that the bulk of your players can progress through it or make it HARDCORE and have most of your playerbase not have any end game content to do and get bored and quit.

Or you provide lots of different options for content aside from end game raiding. Although there would still be a group that would be vocal about how it's wrong that some content is too hard for them.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This is really the wrong way to think about it. This entire concept exists around the notion that the End Game/Raiding is the only game there really is.

Which is bullshit and stupid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

EQ, WoW Vanilla, WoW BC, and the start of Wrath says otherwise.

WoW+Subscriber+numbers+001+jim+younkin_b.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ, WoW Vanilla, WoW BC, and the start of Wrath says otherwise.

WoW+Subscriber+numbers+001+jim+younkin_b.png

And yet the devs looking at their numbers of people using the raiding content and player activity felt they needed to add more and more gradations in raiding difficulty for no reasons at all? I remember in vanilla and burning crusade I would let my sub go for long periods of time because there was fuck all to do at high level other than alting for me. Lich king was the first time when they dropped raiding down to 10 man raid options that my guild could start working our way through some stuff and the amount of people using that content started to shoot up so they added more options for number of players and difficulty. The devs in the past have been pretty clear about why things like LFR and the different difficulties were added.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
And yet the devs looking at their numbers of people using the raiding content and player activity felt they needed to add more and more gradations in raiding difficulty for no reasons at all? I remember in vanilla and burning crusade I would let my sub go for long periods of time because there was fuck all to do at high level other than alting for me. Lich king was the first time when they dropped raiding down to 10 man raid options that my guild could start working our way through some stuff and the amount of people using that content started to shoot up so they added more options for number of players and difficulty. The devs in the past have been pretty clear about why things like LFR and the different difficulties were added.

What design decision do you regret the most, from all games?

Ghostcrawler - I have a lot of regrets about Raid Finder for WoW. I am sure I worked on features that were much, much worse, but that's the first one that came to mind. The way Raid Finder turned out removed, IMO anyway, a lot of the epicness of what made raiding raiding.

8mZOYGFJ_400x400.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
What design decision do you regret the most, from all games?

Ghostcrawler - I have a lot of regrets about Raid Finder for WoW. I am sure I worked on features that were much, much worse, but that's the first one that came to mind. The way Raid Finder turned out removed, IMO anyway, a lot of the epicness of what made raiding raiding.

8mZOYGFJ_400x400.jpg

And yet years after ghostcrawler has been gone LFR is still there each expansion now. If it was a total failure nobody would be playing it and they would have ditched it. The people who are looking for that epic raiding feeling are not going into LFR to begin with.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Listen, you autists complain that portals got taken away because you don't want to give 5g to a mage.

If they took out all the other difficulties can you imagine how mad you would be at a game you don't even play?

(I support it tho)

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea complaining that something that has been in the game since Wrath of the Lich King was removed because "Doesn't it make the world feel bigger!" makes us autistic...

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
And yet years after ghostcrawler has been gone LFR is still there each expansion now. If it was a total failure nobody would be playing it and they would have ditched it. The people who are looking for that epic raiding feeling are not going into LFR to begin with.

Though I kind of agree with your basic logic, they have been stripping away its importance just about every single expansion. We've gotten to a point where there is very little actual reason to run it. You can say that this alone solves any problem that people should have with it, but I would say that it's a nod to just how ill conceived it was to begin with.

Content for all is such a lazy general philosophy. I guess I would just hope that a company with this pedigree and past would be able to come up with something tighter and more refined...or AT LEAST more interesting.

It doesn't help that the loot is also boring as fuck in this expansion.

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Listen, you autists complain that portals got taken away because you don't want to give 5g to a mage.

Naw, it's because they took out portals that mages don't even have. And if they did, we couldn't trade 5g to them anyways because of CRZ faggotry.