World of Warcraft: Classic

Xerge

<Donor>
Side note: Whoever developed the original PvP rank system should have been fired out of a cannon. Pretty much competing against your own faction for rank was some retarded shit. I remember being in vent with our server first grand marshall and the guy literally burst into tears after he realized he was going to be rank 14 next tuesday because how many days on end he spent grinding BGs.

My main is warrior named Knight Versusday. Still rockin' the title.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Shaman were good healers and amazing in PvP, Windfury totems are awesome so there are certain things that they can do which is nice. But Blessing of Salv 30% threat reduction is so fucking good in PvE it isnt even close.
Especially with the original mechanics for negative resists (and also most tanks not knowing how exactly to generate optimal threat). When a target had negative resists your spells had a chance to deal an extra 25-100% damage. Even with the early threat meters, a random shadowbolt crit also rolling a resist bonus meant certain death because it was such a large aggro spike. Throughout MC/BWL warlock dps was often limited due to aggro and it sucked.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
i leveled two toons to 60 on Vanilla on EU servers. The first directly after launch, the latter dinged 60 a month before BC. You needed to use guides to find the optimal questing path, and yet there was always some grinding, even with a few dungeon runs. Usually for a few bars at the end of levels. Nothing major, but still, nothing like today where you outlevel quests like crazy.

Kiki

Log Wizard
TBC, etc. I would be totally uninterested in. But I'm a masochist (I love eve too). Epics were a big deal in the beginning, everyone knew everyone, and you knew who to run from and any no-names would just get melted.

In raids, I just fucking macro'd emergency heal or whatever from those raid mods, no one could compete. Downranking and mana regen actually took thought (horde). Couldn't cheese Razorgore with BOP either :( And our rogues would always pull aggro on Vael.

Last edited:

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
i leveled two toons to 60 on Vanilla on EU servers. The first directly after launch, the latter dinged 60 a month before BC. You needed to use guides to find the optimal questing path, and yet there was always some grinding, even with a few dungeon runs. Usually for a few bars at the end of levels. Nothing major, but still, nothing like today where you outlevel quests like crazy.

No, you could hit 60 without grinding mobs/dungeons. I spent most of Vanilla level racing to 60 on new servers and you could hit 60 just fine using quests. Now, that DOES include doing some dungeons once for their quests (because there were a few dungeons that were amanzing xp/hr with the number of quests).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
No, you could hit 60 without grinding mobs/dungeons. I spent most of Vanilla level racing to 60 on new servers and you could hit 60 just fine using quests. Now, that DOES include doing some dungeons once for their quests (because there were a few dungeons that were amanzing xp/hr with the number of quests).

I ground out 59.5-60 on Furbolgs in Winterspring because I didn't want to travel all the way over to the Eastern Plagues where I knew I'd get ganked.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh man. I played horde until a few random alts in WoD. I couldn’t wait to play a paladin once TBC launched. It sucked. Expected holy warrior, and got Ben Stein reading the Bible level boring. Thank god my ex wife played a hunter with me as i trudged that original level curve to catch up with friends already taking 60’s up.

Then i spent the last half of TBC leveling a warrior because i was a hurt little bitch that i wasn’t allowed to tank raids other than Morogrim adds and Hyjal trash.

Should have stuck with my fucking lock. Super Shadow Bolt in BT (we never even made it to the end of BT before my guild collapsed) was fucking awesome!

That would be boring today. Curse of Shadows, spam one button and watch your epeen get harder and harder.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Shaman were good healers and amazing in PvP, Windfury totems are awesome so there are certain things that they can do which is nice. But Blessing of Salv 30% threat reduction is so fucking good in PvE it isnt even close.

This. Salv had such a colossal advantage over anything a shaman could do. Added with the fact that if you had a good amount of crit and mp5 you had almost nigh infinite mana as long as you were being smart and had lower rank heals on your hotbar.

I'll admit that I was in the boat of whiners going "b-b-b-but windfury!"

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I played horde and alliance up to and including Nefarian. There was honestly no difference in the experience overall. Windfury meant your tank and rogues had higher aggro. If a warrior was crazy and went deep enough into Arms for Sweeping Strikes, before they nurfed WF, they would generate an insane amount of aggro. That was really the only time rogues had aggro issues, combat sword specialization causing chaotic chains of multistrikes. BoS reduced everyone but the tank's aggro, so that classes that were hitting the aggro cap (arcane power mages) could push out a bit more, and even then on occasion I would pull aggro (sighhhh). If you ever had to worry about healer aggro, your tank and healers had shit gear.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Being able to quest to 60 later in vanilla on fresh servers doesn't mean it was the same in 1.1-1.2 when people were hitting 60 after the initial launch. More shit in the higher zones was added that made a big difference. Plus, you know, having Maraudon, Dire Maul, etc...

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's only like 10 days to Rested EXP cap, obviously you just needed to level every class at once on a rotation ;)

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Everquest has had "Classic" or Progression servers for a while now, similar to what WoW is going to attempt, am I right? Anyone here who played both the original at launch, and these EQ classic servers who can describe what, if anything, was different, and how the experience was? And how many people play those servers? Think it would be good to make a comparison here.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
are we gonna get back the old talent trees? Please, someone say yes. I also wanna know what kind of addon support classic will have. Are they gonna revert back to the then current whatever patch API or use the latest API. They did mention in an interview how they got the old stuff working on the current architecture. But then again, it's such a broad notion, it would mean anything.

• 1Barf

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
Everquest has had "Classic" or Progression servers for a while now, similar to what WoW is going to attempt, am I right? Anyone here who played both the original at launch, and these EQ classic servers who can describe what, if anything, was different, and how the experience was? And how many people play those servers? Think it would be good to make a comparison here.
The progression servers are/were nothing like original EQ. There are better items, better spells, much faster exp zones, etc.

Plus the big difference is the EQ servers progress through the expansions. As of right now, WoW classic is just the original game. It's very likely that they will do some sort of progression to the following expansions but they haven't actually said anything about that yet.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I played horde and alliance up to and including Nefarian. There was honestly no difference in the experience overall. Windfury meant your tank and rogues had higher aggro. If a warrior was crazy and went deep enough into Arms for Sweeping Strikes, before they nurfed WF, they would generate an insane amount of aggro. That was really the only time rogues had aggro issues, combat sword specialization causing chaotic chains of multistrikes. BoS reduced everyone but the tank's aggro, so that classes that were hitting the aggro cap (arcane power mages) could push out a bit more, and even then on occasion I would pull aggro (sighhhh). If you ever had to worry about healer aggro, your tank and healers had shit gear.
Fury warriors by like AQ40 had to die one or two times every fight to reset their aggro with Windfury, since they basically had 100 rage at all times and just spamming heroic strikes constantly on top of bloodthirst and shit after it was buffed. In Naxx it was a mess on Patchwerk too as far as I remember, although not as much on other fights maybe, I forgot it was a while ago. Maybe it's when they gave Wrath of Air threat reduction? Or was that in an expansion. But it definitely was a shitfest in AQ.

So like yeah people did more damage and tanks generated more aggro, but it was skewed heavily, while Salvation was easy to play and Wisdom also made hunters a lot better in Naxx on Alliance side, iirc horde hunters were really shit at that point.

In BWL you had the raid wide fear bullshit to deal with too, it wasn't THAT bad but it required a lot tighter plays than with luldwarfpriest fear ward, even counting will of the forsaken. Fucking Tremor totem was the worst unreliable piece of shit.

Overall Alliance had it easier for PvE for most of Vanilla other than the big slime optional boss which had retarded design and was actually near unkillable for alliance. On the other hand, Windfury in PvP was fucking rape, especially if you had the OP 2H weapons at various times like the Rag mace, Ashkandi, the Madness axe or whatever the name was and Might of Menethil. You'd just one shot fuckers with a Windfury proc and a MS. So many of these pvp videos with a pocket shaman and Limp Bizkit or Korn.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Knight-Marshal on Thunderlord world PVP server as a human Warlock in classic, raided everything but the bug place. I loved classic WOW, I quit when I saw what BC was going to be, came back with my wife in WOTLK and enjoyed it, after meh...

This won't be a classic server unless we have 24+ hour battlegrounds haha

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Overall Alliance had it easier for PvE for most of Vanilla other than the big slime optional boss which had retarded design and was actually near unkillable for alliance. On the other hand, Windfury in PvP was fucking rape, especially if you had the OP 2H weapons at various times like the Rag mace, Ashkandi, the Madness axe or whatever the name was and Might of Menethil. You'd just one shot fuckers with a Windfury proc and a MS. So many of these pvp videos with a pocket shaman and Limp Bizkit or Korn.

Jesus, that didn't age well.

I also loved the Noggenfogger exploration videos.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you relied on Fear Ward or Grounding Totem, your tank was bad. I could even say the same for wind fury and BoS. Think I always request BoK instead. Weren't they mutually exclusive? Or required casting from two different paladins. Were pally buffs group exclusive like totems? Again, getting fuzzy on the details. Dropped Alliance after downing Nef on my mage, and picked up druid on horde and never looked back. (I'll ignore when I faction changed to Alliance for WoD since the horde garrisons sucked balls)

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you relied on Fear Ward or Grounding Totem, your tank was bad. I could even say the same for wind fury and BoS. Think I always request BoK instead. Weren't they mutually exclusive? Or required casting from two different paladins. Were pally buffs group exclusive like totems? Again, getting fuzzy on the details. Dropped Alliance after downing Nef on my mage, and picked up druid on horde and never looked back. (I'll ignore when I faction changed to Alliance for WoD since the horde garrisons sucked balls)
As far as I remember it was one blessing per paladin but you could buff the entire raid, early on you had to actually buff everyone individually but at some point, I wanna say around BWL, they made the buffs affect a full party at once so you could blessing the whole raid. Or maybe it was one pld per grp I forgot. Shamans did have to be in every DPS group and shit which was a pain in the ass to setup.

As I said, it was doable to tank without fear ward/grounding, although once in a while if I remember correctly the fears would fire a bit faster than the cooldown of bloodrage so you'd get fucked if you weren't an undead.

Horde could raid fine and cleared all content and what not, but Alliance was easier to raid with was my point, threat and mana was a lot better which let you play a lot more poorly and still do fine. The horde advantages were hamstringed by the lack of threat tools to deal with the additional dmg. I raided as Horde for most of vanilla, I only made an alliance alt on another server during AQ to see stuff and shit was just way easier. Or I mean, most stuff, alliance hunters were probably even more retarded than horde hunters so any tranq shot boss was a fucking disaster. All the legolas night elves hunters were the worst.

• 1Solidarity