World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I leveled one of each class to max during WOTLK. Not a single alliance has been played past lvl 30.

I'm an old man stuck in his ways.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Shame auction houses weren't in every city until 1.90. Very easy to spend a lot of time in Under City (during BWL/Naxx), or Thunder Bluff (during AQ), instead of Org. Old Org was pretty ugly, and I didn't spend a lot of time there. The time I spent in IF was mostly running in circles jumping from a ground panel texture to another...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alliance for me most likely. My lady is down to play this and as is typical, only wants to pay the pretty races.

Be a nice change I suppose. Maybe I'll suffer through paladin leveling so I can do Gay paladin shit. #triggered

Just tell her Blood Elves are a horde race in the first expansion and much prettier than any Alliance race.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Just tell her Blood Elves are a horde race in the first expansion and much prettier than any Alliance race.

elf.jpg

• 16Worf
Reactions: 15 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There's been an update. On track for this summer. Some of things they have beenn fixing.

Classic Update

Hello Classic enthusiasts! We’ve been following the discussions about Classic closely here on the forums (and elsewhere) throughout the winter, and wanted to give you an update on a few things that the Classic development team has worked through since BlizzCon and the Classic demo.

The feedback we got from the demo was fantastic. Thank you to everyone who gave us so much feedback to work with, especially the community members who compiled lists of issues that people found with the demo. We’ve looked at everything that was reported, and want to share a few anecdotes with you so you can see how we’re tackling these issues.

One thing many players noticed was the incorrect health regeneration and the spell critical hit multiplier. Good catch! Going into the demo, we thought we’d fixed that and were surprised to see the issue crop up. Before BlizzCon, we specifically checked health and mana regeneration, and fixed the critical hit cases. We also did combat and regeneration tests to make sure we had those accurate.

It turns out that there was a discrepancy between how Classic was configured on our environment at the office (correct!) and the environment serving the demo to you (not correct…). Tracking that down taught us how to best check our environment configuration as we prepare it for launch.

Another issue players reported was that Warlock demon summoning was broken – lots of players said that you shouldn’t lose your current demon until the new one appears. We double-checked and in the original 1.12 WoW, and there, as soon as you started summoning a new demon, your existing demon disappeared. So the demo actually matched how the game played originally. There were a few other reports – such as “rare mobs do way less damage” and “Kobolds at Jangolode Mine run faster than walking speed when running away” – where we were able to confirm that the gameplay was the same in the demo as in the original 1.12 WoW.

It’s important to point out that there are some bugs we’re going to fix before launch, and there are some bugs that we don’t intend to address. As we mentioned in our BlizzCon presentation, some differences aren’t worth fixing, like differences in how the mail works. Nonetheless, we’ve fixed some fairly high-priority issues:

• Critical Strike rating: Each item now “Improves your chance to get a critical strike by X%.”
  • Rogue Energy didn’t work right: it was both benefiting from melee haste and re-calculating more often than it was supposed to. Both issues were fixed.
  • Slow Fall no longer applies to your jumps.
  • You again get pushback when hit by ranged attacks and wands.
  • Dodge, Parry, and Miss were all not happening often enough.
That’s not all we’ve done, of course, but we want to give you an idea of what we’re prioritizing: core game systems, combat, and content. We’ve spent time on other things such as user interface and making sure graphics “feel” like they used to, but our primary focus is on gameplay.

Again, we’re following all of your discussions and loving your enthusiasm – and we’re going to get more information for you posted here soon (not soon™).

Thank you, and get ready for a Classic Summer!

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Are they building classic from scratch with updated graphics?

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That's what it sounds like. I like that they are not just taking the word of these clowns on the EMU servers and are verifying against the original code. This is going to be fantastic.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Are they building classic from scratch with updated graphics?
Apparently:

1) The original client does not work... well on a modern PC.
2) Their server architecture is completely different now, and they would have to redo everything anyway because the original HP Blade design costs a lot (vs on-demand virtual servers today)

So most of their work is spent backporting the scripts and data values - which they still have - on a modern codebase.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
As long as it's better than the shitty private servers i'll be ok with it. All I care about is raiding anyways.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Only real reason I never played on private servers is how often they got deleted. I did everything I wanted to do in vanilla but I'll still dick around knowing my character isn't going to go away

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

nisser

Trakanon Raider
When I started wow in 2004, I started on Illidan (PVP) and never really tried a PvE server. It was a long time ago, I had a lot more free time and maybe I just don't remember things well but I don't recall world-PVP/griefing bothering me all that much. I was also in a high-end guild so most of my playtime was spent raiding and the few world encounters was made up of grouped-play (ex. tuber farming in Feralas)

Having played on multiple private servers in the last few years, I was more annoyed by the PVP aspect than anything. On paper, I loved the suspense of being gankable or getting into fights in the world but in practice, most PVP was a combination of:
-being initiated at low HP +/- while fighting mobs
-being killed by someone that outlevels you by a far margin
-being corpse camped
-killed/farmed on a way to instance by another group when all I want to do is just start the dungeon (or another group mate being farmed and waiting on them)

Almost never was it a fight that was on an equal footing. I also realized I'm not the one to initiate a fight, unless it's someone I recognize (from a previous unfair fight) and want to exact revenge.

Having said that I'm seriously contemplating playing on a PVE server but I'm reluctant as I'm not sure what I may be missing at the end by doing so. I'm also cognizant that in practice (at least in original WOW) most PvE servers seemed to be behind both in the raiding and pvp scene. Anyone have any experience they can share? I figure if I want to PvP I can always just flag myself even on a PVE server.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
When I started wow in 2004, I started on Illidan (PVP) and never really tried a PvE server. It was a long time ago, I had a lot more free time and maybe I just don't remember things well but I don't recall world-PVP/griefing bothering me all that much. I was also in a high-end guild so most of my playtime was spent raiding and the few world encounters was made up of grouped-play (ex. tuber farming in Feralas)

Having played on multiple private servers in the last few years, I was more annoyed by the PVP aspect than anything. On paper, I loved the suspense of being gankable or getting into fights in the world but in practice, most PVP was a combination of:
-being initiated at low HP +/- while fighting mobs
-being killed by someone that outlevels you by a far margin
-being corpse camped
-killed/farmed on a way to instance by another group when all I want to do is just start the dungeon (or another group mate being farmed and waiting on them)

Almost never was it a fight that was on an equal footing. I also realized I'm not the one to initiate a fight, unless it's someone I recognize (from a previous unfair fight) and want to exact revenge.

Having said that I'm seriously contemplating playing on a PVE server but I'm reluctant as I'm not sure what I may be missing at the end by doing so. I'm also cognizant that in practice (at least in original WOW) most PvE servers seemed to be behind both in the raiding and pvp scene. Anyone have any experience they can share? I figure if I want to PvP I can always just flag myself even on a PVE server.

Welcome to MMO PvP. Great isn't it? The challenge! The skill! The cunning! Oh wait...its literally none of that. They like faceroll easy mode or it not fun.

• 2Like

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is going to be bad; it's Acti-Blizz 2019, not Blizzard 2004.

I've expressed previously that I expect only disappointment with this release, although my issue with it was more at the core of the project. What I value and miss is the wonder and experience of a game when it's new, things are still broken and all the character of the game hasn't been ground out of it in the name of balance or greater appeal. Classic WoW was the best expression of that for me since its rawest product was still pretty damn good and unbroken (from a functionality standpoint), while still having a fair amount of character before Blizzard decided to engineer it all out. Expecting to get any of that back is naiive on my part, however. It isn't coming back, because the same stuff will never be new again. I disagree with the idea that just taking a snapshot (in this case, a late snapshot - 1.12) and trying to make the best version of that is the right way to do things, but I'm probably wrong.

Yet reading that, and everything else I have to date, wouldn't give me much faith if that was what I wanted. There's little that suggests competence in it, but the more concerning bit is how earnest it reads. Like, we're doing THIS and THIS, which doesn't come off as especially impressive, but they seem to think it is. It reads...actually kind of like a private server crew, or a fan fiction writer who has somehow commandeered the reigns to an official book series. But I guess that's really what it is. No one who was around for the first pass is working on this. Or if they are, they're 20 years older, don't have the same hunger and are consulting at most. It's a private server crew with funding and a corporate logo slapped on top.

Which could work, if it was a good crew. But I don't see any proof they aren't just the same B-tier employees that nuBlizzard has throughout their entire company now.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Blizzards try hard attitude is likely the biggest threat to success, also the fact that a vocal minority of no change purists are pushing their dumb idea. EQ TLP works partially because it's way easier than original so it's a fun romp through old content with a good number of QOL changes, and SOE was forced out of necessity to make the smart decision and release something relatively fast and worry about changes later, the fact this project is taking as long as it is really speaks to the clueless management and incompetence at blizzard just burning cash for no reason.

• 1WTF
  • 1Dislike