World of Warcraft: Classic

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Originally I was pretty hyped about this, most of classic was some of the best damn gaming I've ever had. The more I think about it, the less I'm enthused.

I just don't think anyone can recapture any of that. Unless your a new player, there really isn't that much exciting 1-60. Same quest tracks and dungeons, maybe build a OP low level BG twink. There's no real carrot to keep doing most dungeons, you can level to 60 in greens fairly easy. Classic raiding, good memories, but I don't think I want to be stuck doing Ony/MC/BWL for months, and then do bugs for another few months. I dunno what point Naxx fits in this plan, but even that I saw way too much of in WotLK, whether its bust your balls hard original or not.

I couldn't imagine doing the pvp grind with todays WoW community, setting myself on fire, and rolling around in salt sounds more fun and rewarding. Which sucks, because I really enjoyed PVP during classic.

If it was the Blizzard I used to know, I'd believe they could work some magic, and somehow make it better than original.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
There's really no reason to continue playing on it unless they plan on turning them into progression servers eventually. It'll be a fun way to spend a month, casually. Maybe. But I can't imagine I'll play longer than that.

If they eventually do BC, wotlk etc etc though that would be pretty cool.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Originally I was pretty hyped about this, most of classic was some of the best damn gaming I've ever had. The more I think about it, the less I'm enthused.

I just don't think anyone can recapture any of that. Unless your a new player, there really isn't that much exciting 1-60. Same quest tracks and dungeons, maybe build a OP low level BG twink. There's no real carrot to keep doing most dungeons, you can level to 60 in greens fairly easy. Classic raiding, good memories, but I don't think I want to be stuck doing Ony/MC/BWL for months, and then do bugs for another few months. I dunno what point Naxx fits in this plan, but even that I saw way too much of in WotLK, whether its bust your balls hard original or not.

I couldn't imagine doing the pvp grind with todays WoW community, setting myself on fire, and rolling around in salt sounds more fun and rewarding. Which sucks, because I really enjoyed PVP during classic.

If it was the Blizzard I used to know, I'd believe they could work some magic, and somehow make it better than original.

I agree. I want the magic back badly, but if I'm honest with myself I will barley play, or not play at all. I have a wife, two kids, and a business now. I can't devote 12 hours + a day to raiding/PvP. I'm also not naive enough to think that I can forge the same relationships that I had in original. We would have fun and laugh all day no matter what we were doing. Those days are long gone, and even the few guild mates I have reconnected with are much different now. I guess we just need to be thankful to have been around during a great time in gaming. It's looking to be a rare experience with what we've seen the past 15 years.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
BC Paladins were rad, so that'd be pretty fun. Holy shield & over 100% chance to block was the best tanking time ever

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

I quit gaming almost totally shortly after AQ. Started a private server in November and just killed C'Thun for the first time last week

The private server experience is radically different, there's so much content I didn't touch in retail, mainly because the slow pace of patches meant I was quickly raid logging. I didn't even know ZG enchants were a thing in retail, I don't think I even did ZG more than once because my guild were already further ahead in terms of gear

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I quit gaming almost totally shortly after AQ. Started a private server in November and just killed C'Thun for the first time last week

The private server experience is radically different, there's so much content I didn't touch in retail, mainly because the slow pace of patches meant I was quickly raid logging. I didn't even know ZG enchants were a thing in retail, I don't think I even did ZG more than once because my guild were already further ahead in terms of gear
Completely forgot ZG, probably because I didn't do that one a billion times lol. Still got my raptor though.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider

Ive played some private servers and its still a lot of fun. Its like Ossoi said theres so many things you can actually do besides level 1-60 and start raiding. I had a lot of fun not grinding hardcore but gearing my guy up well before advancing and had a great time doing that. The sense of community also helps a lot.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Completely forgot ZG, probably because I didn't do that one a billion times lol. Still got my raptor though.

I wasn't referring to individual raids/dungeons - what I meant was there was a lot of content released after I was already ahead of that content e.g Maraudon, Dire Maul, ZG - I remember doing ZG once, have no memory of ever setting foot in AQ20.

Plus it's not just about those raids - I obviously never got ZG rep for the enchants or the trinket. Likewise the Silithus/Cenarion Circle content - summoning Lords for epic gear, grinding CC rep for more gear. All these "minigames" that I never knew existed.

Ive played some private servers and its still a lot of fun. Its like Ossoi said theres so many things you can actually do besides level 1-60 and start raiding. I had a lot of fun not grinding hardcore but gearing my guy up well before advancing and had a great time doing that. The sense of community also helps a lot.

Yeah, the whole notion of "prebis" and "BIS" gear was new to me. In retail we were downing bosses in MC by January 05, entering MC without even 40x level 60s, and our gear progression was Dungeon Set -> T1 -> T2. Whereas now there's Dire Maul items that are better than T1, plus ZG gear.

The point I'm making is that 14 years of knowledge and an accelerated patch timeline make a radically different game for someone who started at the US launch.

I'm not 100% sure if it's Blizzlike - but private server raid guilds are popping every world buff possible (Heart of Hakkar, Ony/Nef head, Songflower, Dire Maul Tribute) before raids. When I compare the buffs we had for our first kill of Nef it's laughable how underprepared we were in comparison.

In Stormwind on a private server with US/EU/China players the Ony buff is dished out constantly. Was there a delay/respawn between each turnin of the Ony head on Blizz servers?

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Classic WoW is inherently progressive in that you do get a lot of content released sequentially and over a decent span. Between BWL, AQ and Naxx there's a good year+ of solid gaming. I wouldn't be complaining about it finishing too quickly, if so, you're just looking too far ahead. When you look at the EQ prog servers, which have been a relative success for DBG and fun to play, the life cycle is about a year. And i'm good with that.

Either way, i still think that Blizzard will botch some key element in their implementation of Classic and that the experience will suck.

I've played on multiple private servers over the years and the experience has generally been "authentic" in terms of gaming mechanics, but the communities have been absolute shit in every single instance. What i am hoping for from Classic is that they don't fuck the mechanics too much and that the community is relatively normal.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
All they have to do is throw in something like transmog and that alone will make it so you never run out of content.

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What i am hoping for from Classic is that they don't fuck the mechanics too much and that the community is relatively normal.

Don't get your hopes up. Same thing happened in P99 & TLP's. You get the guys that missed out on the original experience and make up for it by being pure tryhards. Not only that, I'm betting those same shit communities will migrate over to live as well. Maybe not permanently, but definitely upon release.

The most authentic experience about Classic will be day 1 launch being an absolute shit show. Even if they do phasing it'll still be cancer.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
P99 ... guys that missed out on the original experience ... I'm betting those same shit communities will migrate over to live as well

very few P99ers that are the "never raided back in the day" types ever go back to TLPs, as far as i've seen.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Don't get your hopes up. Same thing happened in P99 & TLP's. You get the guys that missed out on the original experience and make up for it by being pure tryhards. Not only that, I'm betting those same shit communities will migrate over to live as well. Maybe not permanently, but definitely upon release.

The most authentic experience about Classic will be day 1 launch being an absolute shit show. Even if they do phasing it'll still be cancer.

A lot of the EMU types will never pay to play.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Classic raiding, good memories, but I don't think I want to be stuck doing Ony/MC/BWL for months, and then do bugs for another few months. I dunno what point Naxx fits in this plan, but even that I saw way too much of in WotLK, whether its bust your balls hard original or not.
It's probably going to be exactly as hard as the original - after all, they're using the original data and scripts. You just know the strats already before entering the zone.

The big difference is that everything is going to be available day 1. You're straight into 1.12. If you rush faction, you can set foot in Nax before clearing MC (and get slaughtered by the trash). The only thing that might be a delay is if they run the original AQ opening, bandage collection and all.

That is going to be the biggest change. Plus, of course, I expect it to be a modern mega-server rather than a bunch of isolated servers, because they're using the modern framework and code (and that's why I don't know if there's going to be a war effort event for AQ). Your uberguild in classic is going to be able to recruit from EVERY single classic player in the regional market.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

They waited too long to launch Classic. I had originally intended to play also. Was never a huge WoW fan but I did start playing during BC and had a lot of fun in that version of the game. And would have enjoyed a classic server even 2 or 3 years ago.

But WoW is too old now. My last try at the game just before BFA launched was a real let down. I'm just not interested in driving around in the old Model T anymore. For me, WoW is too ancient, it's systems too clunky compared to the new games. And the potato visuals are painful to look at. Doesn't matter if it's classic or the current version, I'm done with this game.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Haven't Blizz already said the content would come in stages.

Did they? I am under the very specific assumption that things like dire maul or naxx and its associated quests and factions are in from day 1. Am I wrong?

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Did they? I am under the very specific assumption that things like dire maul or naxx and its associated quests and factions are in from day 1. Am I wrong?

They're using 1.12, but content will be released sequentially over a given period - which i don't think they've discussed in detail.

• 1Dislike

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Big difference is instances. No one can monopolize content or prevent others from experiencing it. Closest thing will be trade skill mats like devilsaur or blacklotus or select recipes
Haven't Blizz already said the content would come in stages.
Yes. they specifically said they will be staggering the release of raids. By how much is anyone's guess but there is a slide from blizzcon where they clearly state this.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I feel like they fucked themselves by hyping this up too soon. They guys after 15 years and shitting on one of the most successful Emu servers to the point we had to shut it down and pissed away more community good will, we have decided to do Classic.. just wait another 3 years for it. We were excited but now even if it’s coming out soon there is little to no hype anymore.