World of Warcraft: Classic

Dalien

Registered Hodor
just tabbed over to launcher to see this

OeeVl64.jpg

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Asmongold going to take a power nap on a filthy mattress on his floor, super salty

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
So glad I made the effort after work to log on when servers came up. Got onto Whitemane immediately, hit level 11 and now my friends want to switch servers. At least I got to play I guess!

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Developer Interview - Launch Day Login Experience
Forbes has an interview with Ion Hazzikostas about layering and launch day.

• Layering is the lesser of several evils when it comes to handling launch week populations.
  • Many people have been waiting for this launch for years and are committed to the long haul, but there will also be tons of tourists checking it out at launch.
  • The team is predicting a fairly steep drop off compared to the interest players are showing on launch day.
  • Community is very important in Classic, so keeping the number of realms reasonable to ensure a healthy population is important.
  • The team really really wants to avoid having to offer transfers or merging Classic realms later.
  • Raising player caps on realms could be done but causes contention for finite spawn points and leads to bottlenecks.
  • When you log in, you'll be assigned to a layer and will stay there for that gameplay session.
  • The only way to change layers will be accepting a group invite from a player in another layer. Once you move to that new layer, that'll be your new layer for the gameplay session.
  • The team expects to aggressively reduce the number of layers after the first few days.
  • As the team goes into Phase 2, the goal is to have just one layer per realm.
  • Layers will be removed with realm restarts or during maintenance.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, you know, not to be a late back seat driver, but picking one of the most populated pvp servers for launch day is going to result in this in any mmo.

Whitemane isn't even close to Herod and Faerlina on queue numbers. Most of the servers have huge queues. I Daresay even if all the queue spillover were to leave for old blanchey now, that one would have a five figure queue as well.

• 1Truth!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
First night experience -

Pretty good! I was able to squat at char select enough ahead of time to get in right away. The first few levels were rough with the swam of players but from 4 or 5 onward it was smooth sailing. Got trapped in Thunder Bluff for like ten minutes rubber banding back each time I tried to run anywhere but that cleared up. I know a lot of other people had issues but all and all no complaints. I even made my (casual) goal for the night.

I don't expect to see this character again for days. The folks like me that had a smooth evening are going to try playing again tomorrow and it's just not going to work. When you combine the people pissed off they can't play tonight with the people that are going to be pissed off when they discover the character(s) they made are all gated behind a seven hour queue you're going to have a lot of pissed off people.

The team is predicting a fairly steep drop off compared to the interest players are showing on launch day.

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

• 1Like