World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lost

<Bronze Donator>
As part of our ongoing efforts to eliminate exploitative and automated gameplay, with scheduled weekly maintenance in each region, we’re implementing the following change to our settings on all WoW Classic realms:

• You may now enter a maximum of 30 unique instances (dungeon and raid) per day, per realm.
This restriction complements the current limit of 5 instances per hour. Now, when a player enters a dungeon or a raid, the game checks to see if they have entered 5 instances in the last hour or 30 instances in the last 24 hours, and if they have, they cannot enter the instance until enough time has elapsed. This check is across all of your characters on your realm.

These limits only apply to dungeon and raid instances, and do not apply to PvP battlegrounds.

nisser

Trakanon Raider
It's a half-assed "fix". Botters will just rotate realms. 6 hours of Strat on Whiteman, 6 hours of Strat on Pagle, etc.
How about just banning them?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want to level a class on classic. The issue I have, is I just remember how awful classic leveling can be. Slow gameplay, lots of downtime. I think it would be great to have a 60 to run low levels through deadmines and stuff, but the most I made it to was a level 11 paladin and just can't do it anymore

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
As part of our ongoing efforts to eliminate exploitative and automated gameplay, with scheduled weekly maintenance in each region, we’re implementing the following change to our settings on all WoW Classic realms:

• You may now enter a maximum of 30 unique instances (dungeon and raid) per day, per realm.
This restriction complements the current limit of 5 instances per hour. Now, when a player enters a dungeon or a raid, the game checks to see if they have entered 5 instances in the last hour or 30 instances in the last 24 hours, and if they have, they cannot enter the instance until enough time has elapsed. This check is across all of your characters on your realm.

These limits only apply to dungeon and raid instances, and do not apply to PvP battlegrounds.

Realistically, this won't affect me.

But I've done far more than 30 runs of UBRS in a single day to help guildies/friends of guildies. I've done far more than 30 runs of BRD in a day for the trinket. I understand that was launch and things were different.. but that's fucking retarded.

On the other hand, it will eventually force botters into the world where more people can report them.. so I don't know.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

lost

<Bronze Donator>
yep how many people will do it then realize they didnt save room for their raid that night. some botters will just rotate accounts every 6 hours. if mauradon is like 50-80g an hour without boosters, 6 hours is still enough to cover costs

nisser

Trakanon Raider

The instance limit was an april fools joke in the years past. At this point I have no interest in playing TBC. I always held out for classic because of expected stability and quality and so far it's been worse than the average private [free] server.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I want to level a class on classic. The issue I have, is I just remember how awful classic leveling can be. Slow gameplay, lots of downtime. I think it would be great to have a 60 to run low levels through deadmines and stuff, but the most I made it to was a level 11 paladin and just can't do it anymore

Classic leveling is enjoyable imo. Very little downtime, move from quest to quest. Occasionally use LFG channels to bang out some dungeon quests and upgrade gear. The only bad part for me at least, is some of the long distance runs. What’s up Stranglethorn.

• 2Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agree 100%; I'm not an alt-a-holic but it's been enjoyable leveling up a couple characters, especially if you do 1-20 or so on different continents. If you pick an active server there are always dungeon groups while leveling up too.

• 1Like

nisser

Trakanon Raider
It looks better but not 100% cleared.
It's all moot unless they keep doing this weekly, because within a week there will be armies of bots once again given how easy it is to just boost the alts. With no cost to make a new account, it will continue to be profitable and will continue to be a problem. They have nothing to lose really.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
If the problem is farming gold in order to finance GDKP runs and the associated costs thereof, why not just introduce a trading tax, similar to the auction house fee?

Something like: players trading gold to other players via /trade or via mail have X% taxed depending on the amount.

Trading 500G or less = 5%
Trading 500G to 1000G = 7%
Trading 1000G to 3000G = 10%
Trading 3000G to 5000G = 13%
Trading 5000G or more = 17%

Fuck, I forgot, no changes. Sorry guys!

It's amazing, Blizz essentially has a chance here to restart WoW with the things people like about WoW and change the things that fucked WoW originally in a grand do-over, and they'd rather use that opportunity to introduce more mounts and irrelevant NPC lore/drama in retail. Pathetic.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Blizzard pretending to give a shit by cracking down is just a means to earn them more subs (additional accounts to circumvent caps) while putting on a show for all their disheartened little toadies.

That's about as cold-hearted, bottom-line as it gets.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Actions Taken to Address Exploitative Gameplay

We’ve recently completed a round of actions against players who were found to be cheating in World of Warcraft.

We rarely communicate publicly about this, because we’ve found that describing our sources and methods can make it easier for malicious actors to work around them, but we feel that it’s worthwhile to expand on the subject today, as many players have recently asked us for more details.

Including today’s actions, over the last month in the Americas, Oceania, and Europe regions, we’ve closed or suspended over 74,000 WoW accounts that were found to be in violation of our End-User License Agreement 82. The majority of these were found to be using gameplay automation tools, typically to farm resources or kill enemies much more efficiently than legitimate players can.

While today’s suspensions were applied in a batch (often referred to as a “banwave”), it is a top priority for us to identify accounts that are botting and remove them. Our team works around the clock, every day of the week, and many of the suspensions and account closures over the last few months have gone out in the middle of the night, or on weekends.

Like you, we play World of Warcraft. We understand what it’s like to spot a player in-game who appears to be botting. We always want to eliminate the botting player, if it can be proved that they are indeed cheating. And that raises a big difficulty in addressing this issue – we have to prove to ourselves that the accused player is not a person who’s actually controlling a character with their hands on a keyboard.

We use powerful systems to determine if the suspected player is using an identifiable cheat, and our heuristics (which we do not outline publicly) are constantly improving and evolving. But when we examine a suspect and these measurements aren’t out of line, we have to manually gather evidence against the accused player, which can be very time consuming and complex. It’s worthwhile though, because we never want to take action against a legitimate player.

Yes, there have been cases where a legitimate player appeared (to another player) to be botting. In those cases, where a legitimate player is reported and then cleared of wrongdoing, it can be very frustrating to the reporting player to again see what they think is a bot. We’ve also seen examples where the reported player was caught exploiting the game, and was removed from the game, and then quickly returned to doing the same thing on a new account with the same character name. That’s an infuriating sight for the players who initially reported it. We greatly appreciate your reports, and we understand how you feel about this.

We’re ultimately working to unravel a challenging circumstance. Real money trading drives third parties to put an enormous amount of effort into circumventing our detection systems. As much as this is a very high priority for us, it is the only priority for profit-driven botting organizations. The bans we issue are simply a cost of doing business for them.

We’re working on further improvements to every part of the game that might address cheating issues more swiftly and completely, and we’ll continue to let you know as those next steps are taken.

Thank you very much for your feedback on these issues, and thank you for your reports!

Honestly I think the only way they'll stop bots to any degree is if they introduce WoW Tokens to Classic. It's just too lucrative right now, especially with the COVID factor. Some of these guys started botting because they were out of work, and it turns out they're making more money now running 30+ bots than they were at their old job.

More frequent banwaves would help but it's really not that much of a setback with how easy it is to boost reserve characters. Many of them know to expect banwaves and already had reserve characters ready to go.

They introduced WoW Tokens in China and it killed the demand for gold seller sites overnight. They all moved to US/EU servers which is why we're seeing so many of them lately. If they give players a safe "legal" way to buy gold they will do it instead of going to shady-wow-goldsite.com

• 2Like