World of Warcraft: Current Year

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Let's not pretend quest mobs are hard anymore, they're basically cannon fodder now. Gone are the days of quest mobs kicking your ass if you weren't careful.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Let's not pretend quest mobs are hard anymore, they're basically cannon fodder now. Gone are the days of quest mobs kicking your ass if you weren't careful.
Leveling from 90 to 97 or whatever I am now, I'm pretty sure all of my deaths have come from falling damage when I try to take shortcuts I'm not meant to.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Didnt they add real open world zone instancing after WOD launch to spread people out? That alone should make the Legion launch a lot smoother. They could also finally do a server merge with this "mega-server-like-instancing-tech"...

Edit: I hope leveling isnt so super easy and fast as in WOD, anyone in alpha can comment on that?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Legion would have been fine launch wise if not for the garrison. That server kept breaking while the other ones were for the most part totally fine. So as long as you limited any garrison forays for that initial week it was pretty well setup and handled. The intro area was instanced the pre garrison stuff and I ran through that opening night without a hitch. It was just the iffyness of everybody and their brother all doing garrison shit at the same time and that being a focal point for the expansion really caused some pain.

At least with class halls which are spread out and the level scaling stuff legion has a better chance at a smoother launch although its always a crap shoot testing only shows you so much and then trying to shove in 8 million people onto every server shows you some totally different stuff stress wise.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
For what I was reading, most players were pissed by their idea of class fantasy for Legion, pruning some iconic spells from certain specs (I mean, take this for example: Frost Shock only for elemental shamans is 110% retarded) and while I can't follow all classes for all updates, I know some stuff has already been brough back to reality by some players feedback.
So that's where all the dev time is going.

"Okay guys, we need to make talent trees more iconic and streamlined. So let's remove some abilities your build won't use. Let's code it so only Elemental Shaman have frost shock."

"Why don't we just leave the abilities as is? Frost shock is there if Enhancement and Restoration Shaman want to use it, but it's not really part of their main repertoire. We just had a 14 month drought of content at the end of WoD; why don't we put those resources towards making more actual content instead of reinventing and simplifying classes every single expansion?"

"You're fired."

xzi

Mouthbreather
Sounds like it might be the next "good mechanic gone wrong". Like phasing. Great in small batches (WoTLK), atrocious as a major mechanic (Cataclysm).

Might be good, but I can see it really screwing with people as they try to quest at level 102 while level 110 raid geared people are farming their quest mobs because everything scales.

Does the loot scale too?
The artifact scales, rest of the loot seems to remain the same iirc.
And maybe.. but there is/was supposed to be a zone dedicated to max level, I'm sure most 110 raid geared people will be there instead if they're not just doing their world quests. Either way, not like that stops many people from abusing server hopping and being able to find their mobs.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Leveling from 90 to 97 or whatever I am now, I'm pretty sure all of my deaths have come from falling damage when I try to take shortcuts I'm not meant to.
This the reason I have those various levitate bullshit items keybound.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Nothing makes you appreciate WoW more than some time off from it. Im taking a nice break until Legion hits. Im excited for my dwarf warriors new combat animations. Aug 30 will be here before we know it!

Djay

Trakanon Raider
This the reason I have those various levitate bullshit items keybound.
Yeah, as I was falling I was trying to find mine and realized I didn't have anything on this character. I used to just bubble on my Paladin...at least with the Shaman I can just resuscitate or whatever.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Might be good, but I can see it really screwing with people as they try to quest at level 102 while level 110 raid geared people are farming their quest mobs because everything scales.

Does the loot scale too?
From what I've read almost all of the generic quest mobs are going to be shared tags now so the more the merrier. Will be interesting to see how the mob scaling works, say I'm 110 and grouped with my 102 buddy and we attack a 100k HP mob together, does it have 100k HP for me and 80k for my buddy? My 20k nuke takes 16k off the mob on his screen? I guess everything is going to have to be % based to make it work.

Loot will probably drop at your level (+upgrade chance).

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Realistically leveling 100-110 should be like 10% of your toon's life. So if they make the entire expansion level up to 110 with you that gives you a ton of zones to implement dailies and max level content instead of only a few zones out of 9 or so. It may make the 100-110 process a touch clunky but I think it will work out once you're 110.
If WoD is of any indication, make that 0,5% of my character's life. I usually complete all quests on one character for each faction, sometimes a second if some zones are very good, then try to do as few as possible on alts. Quest mobs, especially if questing with a tank, are less than bumps in the road, I just have them die on me while I smash random buttons, in WoD I swear I didn't care how many I agroed, they just dropped like dead leaves from trees. Questing as a Brewmaster or Blood Death Knight was more like following a story than actually fighting, even vignette mobs were just things that dropped dead. Probably mages have to be more careful, but not by much, the speed of levelling is more tied to the toolkit at disposal (ae spells, self healing, etc.) rather than actual challenge.

On my Brewmaster, if I remember correctly, I was level 100 by the third night of intense questing (I work during the day), so a dozen hours or a bit more? I remember I did 3 zones and a bit of Spires to get to 100, I found it very very fast, much faster than in MoP, but memory is clouded in that regard.

So that's where all the dev time is going.

"Okay guys, we need to make talent trees more iconic and streamlined. So let's remove some abilities your build won't use. Let's code it so only Elemental Shaman have frost shock."

"Why don't we just leave the abilities as is? Frost shock is there if Enhancement and Restoration Shaman want to use it, but it's not really part of their main repertoire. We just had a 14 month drought of content at the end of WoD; why don't we put those resources towards making more actual content instead of reinventing and simplifying classes every single expansion?"

"You're fired."
It seems to me that all those with a clue left develpoment a long time ago, these are the leftovers that want to show they are actually working. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" is something they really should learn. Change shields from Disc and Hpala, give a couple utilities to specs that have less, bam all healers are fixed. Don't touch tanks, they are just fine. Dps, who cares? They play Recount, not WoW, it's a different game.
All they had to do was tweaking, they redid everything, half the classes and specs are currently fucked and we're 4 months away from release. I expect a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

P.S.: it feeels weird bitching about a game at my venerable age of 42, but I love gaming and it relaxes me even if I complain about design decisions, so yeah... "I bitch because I care?".

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nothing makes you appreciate WoW more than some time off from it. Im taking a nice break until Legion hits. Im excited for my dwarf warriors new combat animations. Aug 30 will be here before we know it!
Plus side of it landing on the tail end of summer is pretty much ideal time to take a break for a few months.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If WoD is of any indication, make that 0,5% of my character's life. I usually complete all quests on one character for each faction, sometimes a second if some zones are very good, then try to do as few as possible on alts. Quest mobs, especially if questing with a tank, are less than bumps in the road, I just have them die on me while I smash random buttons, in WoD I swear I didn't care how many I agroed, they just dropped like dead leaves from trees. Questing as a Brewmaster or Blood Death Knight was more like following a story than actually fighting, even vignette mobs were just things that dropped dead. Probably mages have to be more careful, but not by much, the speed of levelling is more tied to the toolkit at disposal (ae spells, self healing, etc.) rather than actual challenge.

On my Brewmaster, if I remember correctly, I was level 100 by the third night of intense questing (I work during the day), so a dozen hours or a bit more? I remember I did 3 zones and a bit of Spires to get to 100, I found it very very fast, much faster than in MoP, but memory is clouded in that regard.

It seems to me that all those with a clue left develpoment a long time ago, these are the leftovers that want to show they are actually working. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" is something they really should learn. Change shields from Disc and Hpala, give a couple utilities to specs that have less, bam all healers are fixed. Don't touch tanks, they are just fine. Dps, who cares? They play Recount, not WoW, it's a different game.
All they had to do was tweaking, they redid everything, half the classes and specs are currently fucked and we're 4 months away from release. I expect a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

P.S.: it feeels weird bitching about a game at my venerable age of 42, but I love gaming and it relaxes me even if I complain about design decisions, so yeah... "I bitch because I care?".
Yup leveling was pretty quick in WOD even at the start. We did not realize how much bang xp wise the bonus areas were giving so we did all shadowmoon/most of gorgorand and talador and some spires of arak and me and my friends were level 100. I only really completed nagrand once on a single character just to see the story line there because I have never really needed to do it for any serious leveling generally I am 99 and a fraction before I hit it.

At least with the way legion is going I could freaking start at something like nagrand and at least when doing alts you could mix things up enough to keep stuff interesting. I am super curious though how badly the whole artifact thing murders alting. It sounds potentially annoying just to do two weapons on one character let alone multiple characters.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
From what I've read almost all of the generic quest mobs are going to be shared tags now so the more the merrier. Will be interesting to see how the mob scaling works, say I'm 110 and grouped with my 102 buddy and we attack a 100k HP mob together, does it have 100k HP for me and 80k for my buddy? My 20k nuke takes 16k off the mob on his screen? I guess everything is going to have to be % based to make it work.

Loot will probably drop at your level (+upgrade chance).
This sounds so awful if it were true - all mobs would be equal strength based on the players level. Why have levels at all?

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
This sounds so awful if it were true - all mobs would be equal strength based on the players level. Why have levels at all?
That's what I don't get about this new scheme. If you can't ever out-level content then what's the point. Just gate the raids behind some attunement or key quest that is approximately the same time commitment as what leveling would take. Add catchup mechanics for alts/late comers. Boom, saved a bunch of dev time on stupid scaling that is sure to be buggy.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
now i'm depressed, I don't even want to play anymore
Question though, when it comes down to it, how much of your long term expansion experience is affected by how quest tagging or credit works? My long term is the quest content with unique setups like chains leading up to a climax or cinematic and zone feel. The rest of the game is raiding and supporting that and after once or twice I completely forget the leveling part.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's what I don't get about this new scheme. If you can't ever out-level content then what's the point. Just gate the raids behind some attunement or key quest that is approximately the same time commitment as what leveling would take. Add catchup mechanics for alts/late comers. Boom, saved a bunch of dev time on stupid scaling that is sure to be buggy.
You can out gear the content. It isn't like you do content you outlevel while leveling. Y'all are just looking for reasons to complain now. You can group with your friends when you level, level anywhere, and it allows all those leveling areas to remain relevant once you are max level. But nah, you fuckers are still going to complain.