World of Warcraft: Current Year

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't be surprised if Disc gets a few quality of life changes in the near future, they do decent heals but you need specialized addons to do your job effectively which is something blizzard is trying to get rid of. they are fine for the 4th healer in a 20man just for raid heals but no way can they MT heal. even at 100 and out gearing mythic 5 mans i notice large spikes in my damage as a prot warrior, maybe the artifact will solve some of it, maybe not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Resto Shamans have the best raid CDs of any healer class it seems, and are quite easy to play from a healer perspective. Not to mention, giving your healer a free BRez that is not on the BRez CD is amaizng for saving BRezes for other essential raid members.

Druids are great for this as well as having hots up during a burst AOE phase and poping that AOE heal plus the new HOT speed artifact bonus + the talent that gives your HOTS an additional 6 seconds is going to be amazing. Not to mention Tranquility being on a 2 minute CD if specced.

Holy on both classes feels quite weak right now comparatively.

Monks seem to be God mode healing in Legion right now. Atleast in pure healing done during the raid. They also have great raid CDs. Probably one of the more complicated to play, but I wouldn't know because I've never played one.

However, all this is moot as Set bonuses and legendaries have a way of balancing classes more than raw abilities with how Blizz is itemizing now a days.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I like the Preach Gaming videos on youtube. Only thing to keep in mind is that he likes more complex character rotation/interactions and doesn't rate highly the ones that are simple/boring regardless of their performance.

I like his videos also, I found him informative as he explains in details how they play...and just small note about their performance. I agree with him that numbers can change but gameplay won't so that making sure you enjoy playing the spec is important, since the best today, might not be in the best in 3 months from now...but if the play style isn't fun, it will still not be fun in 3 months.

That said from his videos, and others...it seems that all tanks are viable...except DH for bleeding edge mythic content, but they are fine for everything else.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't be surprised if Disc gets a few quality of life changes in the near future, they do decent heals but you need specialized addons to do your job effectively which is something blizzard is trying to get rid of. they are fine for the 4th healer in a 20man just for raid heals but no way can they MT heal. even at 100 and out gearing mythic 5 mans i notice large spikes in my damage as a prot warrior, maybe the artifact will solve some of it, maybe not.
I think they'll have niche roles to start where maybe you're 2 healing something and have your priest go disc to push a phase quicker. But as is they're just not going to be a main healer until those changes come.

But that's ok. It's a new spec. Demo has some cool foundation to it too but overall is kind of a mess mechanically. I'd expect at some point both of these brand new specs turn totally playable. They just aren't there right now.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think they'll have niche roles to start where maybe you're 2 healing something and have your priest go disc to push a phase quicker. But as is they're just not going to be a main healer until those changes come.

But that's ok. It's a new spec. Demo has some cool foundation to it too but overall is kind of a mess mechanically. I'd expect at some point both of these brand new specs turn totally playable. They just aren't there right now.

One talent that really helps the demo spec play better is the instant shadowbolt after empower demon casts. Since you use empower demons a lot this winds up being a lot DPS mobility and snap damage.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
One talent that really helps the demo spec play better is the instant shadowbolt after empower demon casts. Since you use empower demons a lot this winds up being a lot DPS mobility and snap damage.
My biggest issue with Demo is the empower spell. It makes the spec feel very clunky. Summon cooldown demons, empower, summon dogs, empower, summon imps, empower. Empower, empower, empower. It's very boring.

Mechanically, the spec is either purely single target with some minor splash AE or mediocre burst AE that sacrifices a bunch of ST damage. Maybe Demo ends up a big dick single target meter topper, but mechanically it's still a ramp up ST spec. That's just not all that valuable for anything but the two patchwerk fights we'll get the whole expansion, or boss fights without AE phases that are on farm.

Locks are pretty much forced to go Destro for progression right now. Destro will remain one of if not the best two target cleave spec in the entire game. It's also really good a priority burst damage which is important during progression for obvious reasons. That toolkit has it's place. Demo isn't anywhere near that.

Still though, and the reason I'm switching to Mage, is that with the exception of a fight like Twins where there are two targets and only two targets 100% of the time, Fire does everything better and is more mobile.

Demo visually is awesome though. From a class fantasy perspective they nailed it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
My biggest issue with Demo is the empower spell. It makes the spec feel very clunky. Summon cooldown demons, empower, summon dogs, empower, summon imps, empower. Empower, empower, empower. It's very boring.

Mechanically, the spec is either purely single target with some minor splash AE or mediocre burst AE that sacrifices a bunch of ST damage. Maybe Demo ends up a big dick single target meter topper, but mechanically it's still a ramp up ST spec. That's just not all that valuable for anything but the two patchwerk fights we'll get the whole expansion, or boss fights without AE phases that are on farm.

Locks are pretty much forced to go Destro for progression right now. Destro will remain one of if not the best two target cleave spec in the entire game. It's also really good a priority burst damage which is important during progression for obvious reasons. That toolkit has it's place. Demo isn't anywhere near that.

Still though, and the reason I'm switching to Mage, is that with the exception of a fight like Twins where there are two targets and only two targets 100% of the time, Fire does everything better and is more mobile.

Demo visually is awesome though. From a class fantasy perspective they nailed it.

The empower casting is why the talent to make shadowbolt instant is so damn nice. If you take the upgraded shadowbolt thats damage is increased by number of demons active every time you cast empower you now have an instant cast hard hitting shot you can blast somebody with while moving. It really made things like the archimonde chaos a ton nicer you wind up not losing much dps at all on high movement fights.

AOE is a bit weird on demo but if you have a big pack using demon wrath or whatever it is called to radiate aoe from your pets gains shards FAST in the right fight you can pretty much be constantly hand of gul'daning stuff for pretty respectable aoe damage. It took me a few raids to really get my rythm with it as it is really different and it probably winds up being tweaked as it goes but it actually is pretty solid right now and more so with its artifact.

Qerero

Golden Knight of the Realm
I like his videos also, I found him informative as he explains in details how they play...and just small note about their performance. I agree with him that numbers can change but gameplay won't so that making sure you enjoy playing the spec is important, since the best today, might not be in the best in 3 months from now...but if the play style isn't fun, it will still not be fun in 3 months.

That said from his videos, and others...it seems that all tanks are viable...except DH for bleeding edge mythic content, but they are fine for everything else.

I think the reason I prefer Preach videos to the others that do class breakdowns is that he doesn't spend twenty minutes going over every fucking ability in the spellbook. If I'm watching a video on restoration druids in WoW I know what fucking rejuvenation is, you don't need to tell me it's there. Also, I agree his voice/delivery is way more engaging than most others as well.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I love SPriest but I keep melting myself with badly timed StM. Or just fat fingering that shit. Best class anyway.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
What level of fucked do we think the servers are going to be next week? Was considering calling off Wednesday for an old school poopsock session on my Rogue.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
What level of fucked do we think the servers are going to be next week? Was considering calling off Wednesday for an old school poopsock session on my Rogue.

I'm planning on Friday off, and with Monday being labor day...that's a 4 day Legion Session. :)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Do servers go live after the usual Tuesday maintenance? Or can we get a midnight ReRe thing going?

Brikker

Trump's Staff

My bet is a lot. I've got those days off following the Tuesday (might be Wed/thurs/fri) naturally so I expect to just not be able to play! I'm betting server overload plus some foreign kiddies DDoS'ing.

We excited about artifact weapons? Will a casual be able to get them?

Everyone gets them. Each spec has a different one. I think ~30 min into starting the expac is when you get it, from what others have said.

~~

Anyone playing Prot Pally? Wanted to make a tank for an alt (main Enh Sham, eventual Resto OS). I've seen they rank about ~third place overall which is fine, it'd be a casual 5man/LFR type of alt. How does the playstyle feel, though?

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The empower casting is why the talent to make shadowbolt instant is so damn nice. If you take the upgraded shadowbolt thats damage is increased by number of demons active every time you cast empower you now have an instant cast hard hitting shot you can blast somebody with while moving. It really made things like the archimonde chaos a ton nicer you wind up not losing much dps at all on high movement fights.

AOE is a bit weird on demo but if you have a big pack using demon wrath or whatever it is called to radiate aoe from your pets gains shards FAST in the right fight you can pretty much be constantly hand of gul'daning stuff for pretty respectable aoe damage. It took me a few raids to really get my rythm with it as it is really different and it probably winds up being tweaked as it goes but it actually is pretty solid right now and more so with its artifact.
First, my comments come from a Mythic progression standpoint. I said this earlier, but heroic raids or mythic+ up to 10 or anything the game has to offer below Mythic raids before they become farmable, play whatever you want.

Second, there seems to be a trend where people really like their class and then have to justify it's existence for whatever reason. Someone up above posted about how mobile SPriests are. You're telling me that an instant shadowbolt after a 2 second cast spell makes Demo mobile. Hunters and Mages can do their entire normal rotations on the move. This talent does not compare.

Demonwrath's damage is low, requires imp positioning and the soul shard generation is based on target not imp count. This can be used for an extra two HoG's in the rotation, which then does increase the damage caused by the typical Doom > Darkglare > Implosion AE, but the problem here is that in order to do that, you have to talent away from three single target talents, two of which are two of the biggest ST damage boosters. Hunters and Mages will equal that AE in their single target specs. A Warlock attempting this (so no Darkglare, no Implosion, no AE Doom) is not going to do "pretty solid" AE. Again, from a class balance perspective there isn't a real comparison here.

Players are what matter and I certainly would want a good Demo Lock over a shitty Fire Mage but those aren't really the circumstances I'm referencing. There is a reason progression guilds are benching their Locks and it isn't because none of them know how to play their class correctly.