World of Warcraft: Current Year

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
With authenticator being on smart phones there's no excuse
Yeah agree 100%, just got annoying having to send photo of my ID ect every time my phones got destroyed at work and I had to install on a new phone. I have a spare used for nothing right now, so all good. Should have done it sooner, but never occurred to me.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah agree 100%, just got annoying having to send photo of my ID ect every time my phones got destroyed at work and I had to install on a new phone. I have a spare used for nothing right now, so all good. Should have done it sooner, but never occurred to me.

Weird, my latest phones it has just auto updated based on (I assume) my gmail account I shared on the Android phones.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Dunno, been a couple years, but always had to. Was only a couple times with phone, lost my fob twice before that. I probably used different gmail accounts, tend to do that with new phones.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One time I had a hacker take my acct and add an authenticator and when I got it back blizzard sent me an auth for free. That's when it all started for me

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Besides this mornings weirdness, first and only time they got in via my old hotmail account. My PC was clean at the time, fuckers changed password on hotmail, and I had to petition, prove I was account owner, and GM switched the email for me.

Think there was some breach with hotmail at the time, never used hotmail or any other MS service ever again.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a bit paranoid now, new character created on Hyjal, that I never made. Guess I better get authenticator installed.

Strange since I maintain good security on my PC, and the only site I go to thats "bad" is wowhead.

Fucked up thing is that character wasn't there when I logged in this morning, just noticed it when I was switching to DH for WQ's. Never got disconnected or anything.

FbDoqcB.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Only time I ever got my wow account stolen was when yahoo pissed away a bunch of user info. Apparently whatever rangrang took my account did a shit ton of gold farming with one of my alts, and got locked out before he could mail/sell it off, so I was pretty pleased when I got back in. Then they introduced authenticators, and it never happened again.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Only time I ever got my wow account stolen was when yahoo pissed away a bunch of user info. Apparently whatever rangrang took my account did a shit ton of gold farming with one of my alts, and got locked out before he could mail/sell it off, so I was pretty pleased when I got back in. Then they introduced authenticators, and it never happened again.
Same shit happened to me. Logged in, my DK was in some BC dungeon with more gold than I had ever had. Wasnt bad over all

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I didn't get that lucky sadly. Karma for killing all those farmers back in Vanilla I guess. Poor bastards probably didn't get to eat those days. Do not miss the days of being in EPL and getting spammed for mage food.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've had the same password since I created my account in 2004. I even shared my account with one friend during TBC. Got an authenticator with Cataclysm. Never been hacked. Of course that password is also unique among all my passwords, not simple to guess, and I don't use the same email with any shady shit. Even when I'd buy gold, I'd use a bogus, spam email account. Looking back that really feels like it was a huge waste of money. Gold has been basically worthless since Wrath.

Rime

<Donor>
I bought one of the WoW Authentication key-chains back when they first came out (had to get that Corehound Pet, of course). I just put some velcro on the back of it and stuck it to the underside of my computer desk. Only have to use it I travel or when there is some major BNet snafu that requires it. Never had a single problem.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I bought gold back in MoP to help myself catch up to the guild I was in at the time. Used a different email and all, but they somehow got a hold of my account and stripped it. Blizzard replaced everything within 30 minutes and I got an authenticator for free in the mail like a week later.

All in all, the free Authenticator is a pretty awesome thing for Blizzard to do at the time. The phone app is just second nature now.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I got hacked in BC on a brand new acc cause I gave my friend my original account and they only got to steal like 2g. Bunch of amateurs.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got Vigor lego ring, Spectre and Convergance all within a few hours today. Just need mantle and and nice rolled engine and I'm set on items finally. I've had pretty good luck with the crucible too. I guess bitching a ton pays off.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Ohh man, my account got hacked once from god knows where. Never bought gold or anything shady. I was playing and got DC'ed. I log back in and DC again. Try a cuple more times, just instant Dc, so I say fuck it and go to bed. Log in the next day to nothing, all my characters are gone or naked. I freak out and call Blizzard. They restore everything in around 2 hours, and send me a free key chain authenticator.

About 12 days later I get an e-mail apologizing for the delay and saying the accounts team has verified my account was stolen and all of the lost items had been mailed. I was at work, and just kind of rolled my eyes and went "Yeah, I know, 2 weeks ago guys...".

I get home and log in to my mailbox being maxed out. They replaced everything I lost a second time, everything I was wearing, everything in my bank, just duplicates of everything I already had... and then a string of mails that had just gold, in different amounts, way MORE than I ever had. This was back in Wrath (I want to say) where I had like 22k gold, which was good at the time, but after opening all the mail I had close to 180k, plus a ton of stuff to either sell or shard.

Was a super nice surprise!

An opposite shitty time was when Cata came out. Around 3 weeks prior, I had read that if you went to the southwestern coast of Tannis there was an invisible wall preventing you from going to a new zone, BUT you could fish through the invisible wall and catch fish from the expansion weeks before it came out. I was a huge completionist and prepper, so the thought of just maxing the cooking skill moments after expansion launch with all the fish I caught sounded great. So, I went down there and sure enough it worked. I fished for a couple of hours, until my bags were full and went home. I didn't re-sell any fish or anything. Well, 5 or 6 days before the expansion they wiped all the fish from anyone who had them, some people were pissed there was no notice or warning or anything, but I figured it was possible from the start, so bummer, but ohh well.

So, I keep playing WoW every day before the expansion goes live... and then, 1 hour before it hits on release day, I get disconnected. I try to log back in, but get hit with a notice saying my account was suspended. Now, as far as I know, I had never even had a complaint against me about anything, I had no idea what was going on, I had forgotten the fish thing and was just freaking out. I had bought every collectors edition, I had my own guild, managed a webpage, it was a huge part of my life, and I was just SURE there must be a mistake. I call in and wait on hold for almost 4 hours, I'm messaging my friends who are all playing and talking about how amazing it is. Finally get through, the guy explains its for exploiting, explains its the fishing thing, and I have a 72 hour ban on my account.

There was no talking my way out of it or anything, they had weeks to punish the people, but waiting until launch of the expansion, super shitty move on their part for what was a pretty harmless thing as far as exploits go.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That sucks. I used fishing bots back in the day (when everyone was doing it) and never got banned. Although I rarely ever fished so meh.

Buddy of mine got banned for using honor buddy. They took all his gold, but he only ever used it for leveling (and mount/pet farming). He still has his pets and mounts and all his max levels too.