World of Warcraft: Current Year

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
EQ players didn't use Roger Wilco? It wasn't the greatest experience by any means, but was invaluable for Quake clan matches
For a long time people in eq were still on dial up. Dont think voice comms really hit until a few years or more after launch. Hence all the mangina players easily exploiting the "I'm a girl give me loot" angle. Didn't even need to do the no mic excuse

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For a long time people in eq were still on dial up. Dont think voice comms really hit until a few years or more after launch. Hence all the mangina players easily exploiting the "I'm a girl give me loot" angle. Didn't even need to do the no mic excuse

Yeah, many of us in Quake were as well, but our better players were usually on DSL or something and could handle it. They tended to be the more integral players anyways so it was still useful. Using premade macros for comms was still doable for both groups, so it worked out as it would normally, but with voice ontop.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, many of us in Quake were as well, but our better players were usually on DSL or something and could handle it. They tended to be the more integral players anyways so it was still useful. Using premade macros for comms was still doable for both groups, so it worked out as it would normally, but with voice ontop.
I was always super envious of my bro on DSL when he lived in Europe back then. Meanwhile I had a software gateway on my system running 10baseT, with 4 machines accessing the internet through our dialup. At least Quake and Ultima Online ran well enough at the time. Though thinking back, I'm surprised I could handle 240+ ping...

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I was always super envious of my bro on DSL when he lived in Europe back then. Meanwhile I had a software gateway on my system running 10baseT, with 4 machines accessing the internet through our dialup. At least Quake and Ultima Online ran well enough at the time. Though thinking back, I'm surprised I could handle 240+ ping...

One of the best Mega-TF engineers I ever played with did so at 400-600 ping. Sure, he'd DC in the middle of matches which wasn't great, but he still managed to do his job. And it was packet loss that got you more than anything else

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
One of the best Mega-TF engineers I ever played with did so at 400-600 ping. Sure, he'd DC in the middle of matches which wasn't great, but he still managed to do his job. And it was packet loss that got you more than anything else

Yeah, PL was definitely the worst with quakeworld. QW made quake on dial up really decent. But also the fact there were so many local ISP servers that were awesome. I admin'd a few as a 16'ish year old here at a local ISP. was always addicting getting a 90-100ms ping on a modem because I was practically dialing straight into the same machine.

But the netgraph 3 command or whatever it was, was definitely always on so i could keep an eye on the packet loss.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, PL was definitely the worst with quakeworld. QW made quake on dial up really decent. But also the fact there were so many local ISP servers that were awesome. I admin'd a few as a 16'ish year old here at a local ISP. was always addicting getting a 90-100ms ping on a modem because I was practically dialing straight into the same machine.

But the netgraph 3 command or whatever it was, was definitely always on so i could keep an eye on the packet loss.
Local BBS dialup was the shit. DWANGO days.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Local BBS dialup was the shit. DWANGO days.

Oh yeah. did that too. I dodged a bullet and didn't get murdered by my mother when I racked up a $400 long distance bill dialing into dwango long distance to play Doom 2 since the closest server to Utah was denver. Single parent income and it wasn't that high.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Oh yeah. did that too. I dodged a bullet and didn't get murdered by my mother when I racked up a $400 long distance bill dialing into dwango long distance to play Doom 2 since the closest server to Utah was denver. Single parent income and it wasn't that high.
Fucked up story about DWANGO, two dudes, one older, one younger, older guy would sometimes watch the younger, turns out he had been abusing the kid. Got 20 years. Back then you didn't see a ton of players. You were amazed when more than 8 or 12 were logged in, but those two were on every night. Then one day I never saw them again.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Never played EQ. Was a UO junkie that couldn't afford the hardware to play EQ. And ironically made fun of the graphics while playing an isometric shit show that surprisingly still has active servers. Honestly, how the fuck is UO still alive?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure why, but I recite my ICQ number every once in a while. Never used it beyond UO though, even though it was a pretty cool chat program.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Not sure why, but I recite my ICQ number every once in a while. Never used it beyond UO though, even though it was a pretty cool chat program.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this still to this day. Though i remember my 2nd one and not my first one with the shorter number. since shorter number meant bigger e-peen.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
15224834. I had a lower number, but that's the one I remember. Doubt I even remember the password for that one.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
15224834. I had a lower number, but that's the one I remember. Doubt I even remember the password for that one.

If you ever get bored. there's an ICQ web interface. Most old accts got hacked by russians apparently (i logged into mine and all my friends i used to have now have russian profiles) but remember, there wasn't annoying password requirements back then. When i found my password, it was only 3 letters.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What's up with mining/herb nodes disappearing right when you get to them? Is their zoning shit that fucked up?
Automatic server hopping interferes massively with the nodes. It goes like this:
  • Your client is notified that a node is up because you entered the range at which it receives such
  • You are transferred to a different server because you changed subzones and the game decided to mess with you
  • You are not notified about nodes being harvested, since they're not harvested; they were never up on your new server anyway
  • You loot the node and the server tells you there's nothing there to loot since the node wasn't up
Previously, you would only hop servers when changing zones or grouping; with BFA, you change server continuously to "balance them".

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shrine of Stroms Teeming + Fort should be like a entry level test for mythic + if you don't complete it to +6 in time you cannot access any other dunegons. I loved that place this week watching all the dps and tanks that love to blame healers for every death get destroyed because they cannot faceroll mechincs on trash. The place is tough but fair no instant cast bs that will one shot you, you need to interupt the correct stuff move out of the one shot floor shit, kite adds that get a 100% damage buff but slow moving.

Up to +7 you can herp derp most dungeons without a care in the world except the healer who is having a melt down because people don't interupt shit or stand in shit, but in Shrine the responsibailty is on the dps to play right or they die simple. Nothing can save you if you don't stand in the runes to reduce the damage you take, if you don't interupt the heal spells healing everything for 25% hp. If you don't stun the melee mobs when they grow and do 100% damage increase while the tank has a amror debuff on to give the tank time to kite. Gonna let that Ritulist cast Darkness over and over and break CC on the Enfocers in the same pack meaning you have to move all the time then well we going to be here a long time until you learn to play correctly