World of Warcraft: Current Year

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
How does that work ? Like for Metzen, at some point are those guys really like "I have a dream job oh wait fuck it I'm too rich let's retire" or are they being pushed out ?

I can see some reason that a dream job that still is pretty stressful for 30 years can get you to the point of hurm I have giant hats full of money wtf am I doing going to work every day for. And its not like they are completely gone they are on their advisory board so thats almost the best of both worlds still get to guide things and keep in the mix but with a lot less day to day bother.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
haha

Dev Watercooler: Inside the World of Warcraft Classic BlizzCon Demo - WoW

Hello World of Warcraft community! With BlizzCon 2018 getting closer every day, we wanted to give you an update on what you’ll be experiencing at BlizzCon around WoW Classic. We’ve been hard at work on bringing the original Azeroth back to life, and we’re excited that you’ll be able to get your hands on the demo we’re creating for the show—both at BlizzCon and at home with the Virtual Ticket.

What to Expect

From the beginning of this project, the team’s mission has been to be as faithful as possible to World of Warcraft as it existed back in 2005 and 2006, before Cataclysm altered the world as we knew it—and we wanted to make sure the demo we built for the show was a clear reflection of that. The focus of the demo is on outdoor questing, and we’ve selected two iconic zones that most original WoW players will no doubt be familiar with—Barrens for the Horde and Westfall for the Alliance—so you can step back in time and experience these zones as they were originally designed. You’ll be able to search for Mankrik’s wife, curse at Ornery Plainstriders for not having beaks, and make a group to kill Defias Pillagers in Moonbrook. You might even get to improvise a new rotation against the Harvest Golems in Farmer Saldean’s farm, since in this era, mechanical creatures may be immune to some of your abilities. We brought all of that back, and we’re as excited about it as you are.
Because it’s a demo, there’ll will be some limitations on the content: the Deadmines and Wailing Caverns dungeons won’t be available, the only PvP will be dueling, and you won’t be able to visit zones other than Westfall and the Barrens. We also typically limit the time our BlizzCon attendees can play a demo, and that will be the case for BlizzCon WoW Classic Demo players at home. In order to maximize the number of people who can try out the demo, initially you’ll be logged off after playing for a certain amount of time to give somebody else a turn. We haven’t determined exactly how long this time limit will be yet, but we’re also planning some flexibility, so if we’re able to relax the restriction and still give everyone who wants to play a great experience, then we’ll do that. If you do find your session has ended before you’ve done everything you wanted to, don’t worry—your character will be there when you get back in for your next session, and all your progress will be saved.
You’ll start the demo at level 15. While we know that starting at level 1 holds a lot of nostalgia, you’re also limited in what you can do when you’re first starting out. Given the time constraints of a BlizzCon demo, we wanted to give players some freedom to explore and experiment with core systems like talents or professions, which are unavailable at level 1. We also wanted you to be able to get a good sense of the original class played. At Level 15, warriors have Defensive Stance, priests have Psychic Scream, hunters have their pet, and so on—so at this level you really start to feel like your class has some of the key tools that make the class distinct. Additionally, all characters will be capped at Level 19. But you can create multiple characters, so you can try out as many different classes and races as you’d like!

What’s “New”

As we mentioned in our original Dev Watercooler blog we posted in June, we’re building WoW Classic on the foundation of our modern code base. That means you’ll be able to download the demo through the Blizzard Battle.net desktop app and use Battle.net chat integration in-game to ask your friend to come check out the Barrens with you. You’ll also find there’s improved support for widescreen monitors—so instead of the world looking stretched and distorted in widescreen, it’ll look like it did on your old 4:3 monitor. Only bigger!
All of the current game’s tools that help ensure World of Warcraft is a welcoming and fair environment, such as right-click player reporting, will also be in the BlizzCon WoW Classic Demo. Cheats, bots, and other exploitive behavior will also not be allowed, and the modern engine no longer permits some behaviors that could be used to get out of bounds. Support for 32-bit clients has also been removed. One of our core values is “Play nice; play fair,” and we want to do everything we can to ensure a few bad apples don’t ruin the experience for others.
You’ll also find that post-launch accessibility options such as colorblind mode are in the demo—though as we were working on it, we realized some words and images used in the current Accessibility panel come from the modern game. So we replaced the modern icons with some classic icons, and removed the term “Heirloom” since it doesn’t appear anywhere else in WoW Classic. It’s important to us that in situations like this we blend the old and the new in such a way that it still looks and feels like the game you remember.

See You in November!

We’re really excited about the BlizzCon WoW Classic Demo, and hope you are too! But we definitely don’t want to send the message that we’re done, because we’re not. There’s still lots of work left do, and the BlizzCon demo is an important step in the process of bringing the original WoW back to life as authentically as we can. This is a great chance for you to see the direction we’re heading and give us some early feedback, so be sure to leave your thoughts in the Classic section of the WoW forums.
Thanks for playing, and we’ll see you in Azeroth!

This part's the best:

Because it’s a demo, there’ll will be some limitations on the content: the Deadmines and Wailing Caverns dungeons won’t be available, the only PvP will be dueling, and you won’t be able to visit zones other than Westfall and the Barrens. We also typically limit the time our BlizzCon attendees can play a demo, and that will be the case for BlizzCon WoW Classic Demo players at home. In order to maximize the number of people who can try out the demo, initially you’ll be logged off after playing for a certain amount of time to give somebody else a turn.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
First one's always free $50.

Seriously, it sounds like they think they're giving people a half line of coke and expecting them to be so hooked that they'll rush back.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can see some reason that a dream job that still is pretty stressful for 30 years can get you to the point of hurm I have giant hats full of money wtf am I doing going to work every day for. And its not like they are completely gone they are on their advisory board so thats almost the best of both worlds still get to guide things and keep in the mix but with a lot less day to day bother.

Yeah but at some point being an advisor / having a board seat is kind of being out of the loop while retaining a salary, right ? Though I agree with your point about being loaded and having to deal with the day to day stuff, especially if those guys are doing it for decades. I imagine those jobs are tiresome at some point, especially when your former garage band company is now a multimillion market major with stock exchange / investor ramifications.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Leveling in Island Expeditions is like an old school MMO experience. Nothing leashes so you can pull everything and AoE down with some good playmaking potential. It's pretty fun.

Yeah that's one of the only good things about island expeditions - having no chains. I hope they do more content without leashes on mobs. I hate, hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate leashed mobs with the fury and fire of a thousand suns.

My sub ends Thursday and I will let it lapse until 8.1 and if 8.1 doesn't fix a lot, I won't be back long at all. I logged on today to do an M10 and a few bosses in Heroic Uldir. I did Mother for the 8th or 9th time and used a bonus roll on her and got nada, for a grand total of 0/24 (18 chances at loot in Heroic and 6 in normal. I've used a bonus roll every time I've killed Mother, in an attempt to get a Glaive). I love how there is 1 raid glaive in the game and if it doesn't drop, tough luck, because the 2 Glaives in Mythic dungeons are a 0.5% drop rate. BFA itemization is such a shit show on so many levels (as we already know). But it still continues to baffle me. I love having to wear a 340 Azerite chest when I have a 385, because it has a trait that is so good I have no choice but to use it, at least in m+ (lowers the cooldown on Demon Hunter glyphs by 2 seconds every time something is hit by a glyph, so that means you get to AoE silence, AoE fear, and AoE grip way more often, as well as AoE damage which helps with agro). And I love that I have to use 355 Azerite in Uldir, because I've had 0 Heroic Uldir Azerite pieces drop.

Cya in 8.1 boys. Hopefully the community wakes up to their very severe and serious case of Stockholme Syndrome and stop praising Blizzard every time they throw a breadcrumb. The hugely positive responses to the recent cache change/vendor announcements on reddit were staggering. For weeks before the announcement all you saw were vitriolic, well-deserved complaints about BFA and Azerite specifically, and then they have that announcement and the main thread is just full of people wiping their brow in relief and praising Blizzard and filling up with hope. /smh

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are two weapons in Uldir for Demon Hunters. I think that is the same for pretty much every spec in the game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Looks really good from what I know about spriests. I wonder if they'll actually change ele shaman instead of just replace 2 competitive talents like that, haha

Very surprised they're introducing changes without gutting other skills for the sake of balance.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
If they will give swd back as baseline and smooth the rotation out a bit more it’d go a long way to get me back on my sp.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they will give swd back as baseline and smooth the rotation out a bit more it’d go a long way to get me back on my sp.

SWD really should be baseline. Its not OP and it helps smooth out the rotation a good bit. More active stuff to do in open world fighting as well.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Me too. I was sure there would be drawbacks. These are just straight up buffs.

But...they're removing the ability to sit in 30% dmg reduction, permanently in PVP....sounds like a Nerf to me.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
SWD really should be baseline. Its not OP and it helps smooth out the rotation a good bit. More active stuff to do in open world fighting as well.

But, you have to choose whether you want the ability to SWD out of incoming poly/blind. If you're skilled enough to even make such a situational talent decision that is. Can't just be getting out of Dem CC's for free boyz

• 1Salty

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly for all the PVP I am doing lately I almost never see shadow priests. Disc is just so bananas in pvp right now it seems like most priests go that route currently.

• 1Like

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I don’t understand why they took an ability we’ve had since bc? And made it a talent. To echo a lot of what I’m hearing a lot of this feels like stuff that should’ve happened for 8.0 and they ran out of time and maybe that decision was made bc they had an open talent slot and didn’t know what to do with it.

This is the first round of changes so hopefully we get a few more and I can start playing my priest again.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can't explain the SWD change to talent at all. It was totally fine in the normal rotation and it just seemed really fucking strange they moved it to a talent. That they maybe ran out of time and decided to use SWD to fill it in does seem a bit plausible. Shadow really did not feel finished at all. What they listed definitely sounds better but I will wait and see. Been leveling my priest a bit in pvp as much as I liked shadow in legion disc is just so fucking bananas in pvp right now its hard not to stay with it even with shadow buffs. Doing that much damage while at the same time healing yourself for the same is crazy. In my adventures in the arena with my friend in our quest for hippopotomuses for christmas the only comp we really have almost no luck with in 2v2 is disc priest + burst damage dealer.