World of Warcraft: Current Year

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do you know how hard it was in classic to scrape together 40 people from your server who were available at the same time? "Bottom of the barrel" doesn't even begin to describe that. You obviously had 10 people who carried the other 30 mouthbreathers. This worked somewhat in MC, but once the DPS and "don't fuck this up" checks started in BWL it was obviously unsustainable.

They called him "Vaelastrasz the Guild Killer" for a reason.
Eh I think 10 is too low you really needed 15-20 core raiders, 10-15 competent players, and then you filled in the last 5-10 with people who could push buttons without eating glue. Definitely had 50-60 overall in my vanilla guild, mat farming for the people outside was required but we were generous as each class would handle rotating people in for specific boss loot so it wouldn't go to waste.

Let's not kid ourselves either the Vael fight severely screwed over casters since infinite mana regen did absolutely nothing plus the spell pushback from the AE. A lot of guilds simply didn't have the melee corp to make that fight easier since the majority of raid mechanics favored ranged and that's what was recruited. Let us not forget hunters with mana too.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There is nothing epic about 15 good players carrying 25 garbage players, and those 25 garbage players constantly going AFK or having to leave early. 40 man should stay dead.

Khane

Let them make Mythic 40 man. Then the game would die for real and maybe we get some innovation again.

xzi

Mouthbreather
and attunement quest chains that require full clear lfr without a member in your raid dying

Merrith

There is nothing epic about 15 good players carrying 25 garbage players, and those 25 garbage players constantly going AFK or having to leave early. 40 man should stay dead.

Eh, it felt pretty epic to clear Naxx 40. Although like Malakriss aid, it wasn't 15 carrying 25. More like 15-20 core people, another 10-15 competent in their role players, and the ~5 or so individuals you filled out your raid with. Of course once they cut it down to 25 man raids, you still had your ~5 players that was the fat you wanted to cut, I'm sure it's the same for most mythic guilds with their 20 man teams now. There's always a few that get semi carried at least.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The hardest part of classic raining was gear dropped so much less replacing a geared person was actually a real endeavor. I think as much as people bitch the big raids that were logistically hard but mechanically easy was way healthier for a social mmo. Since classic the game has pushed ever more segregation and the game is dying from it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Given how much of a nightmare shit like 40man Thaddius were, which looking back had pretty simple mechanics compared to the fights today. We had this one fucking french canadian hunter who spoke broken english and went to the wrong side all the fucking time.

I can't even imagine trying to apply 40man to current mechanics. Guilds like Method would be fine and just recruit more poopsockers, guilds below that would be poached to hell and fall apart.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Trying to pug nax25 during WOTLK pretty much always wound up hitting a brick wall at Thaddius as well. There's something about those sort of simple mechanics that just fucks with autopilot players. Times may change, but that demographic never will.

Merrith

Given how much of a nightmare shit like 40man Thaddius were, which looking back had pretty simple mechanics compared to the fights today. We had this one fucking french canadian hunter who spoke broken english and went to the wrong side all the fucking time.

I can't even imagine trying to apply 40man to current mechanics. Guilds like Method would be fine and just recruit more poopsockers, guilds below that would be poached to hell and fall apart.

Thaddius was pretty simple (at least as far as complexity) compared to stuff like Gothik, 4H, etc in Naxx. Just amazing how one person unable to figure out which side to run to could slow you down for wipe after wipe.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Thaddius was pretty simple (at least as far as complexity) compared to stuff like Gothik, 4H, etc in Naxx. Just amazing how one person unable to figure out which side to run to could slow you down for wipe after wipe.

Yeah for sure, we killed Thaddius but Gothik was on a whole new level of difficulty. He stalled and killed our guild for a few months and we had to rebuild. 4H wasn't too bad because we were prepared for it by the time we got there. Can't imagine them ever requiring shit like 8 tanks with 2pc again.

Merrith

Yeah for sure, we killed Thaddius but Gothik was on a whole new level of difficulty. He stalled and killed our guild for a few months and we had to rebuild. 4H wasn't too bad because we were prepared for it by the time we got there. Can't imagine them ever requiring shit like 8 tanks with 2pc again.

Honestly the whole 8 tanks with the requirement (and it was the 4pc everyone complains about) was overblown. We had nights where we didn't have all 8 tanks on and would have a dps warrior or two throw on their old t2 set and tank...even had a paladin act as 1 of the tanks one night (same night the Corrupted Ashbringer dropped for him, believe it or not). The bonus certainly made things a lot more bearable, but wasn't completely necessary with aware players and some backup planning if resists happened.

Still think 4H was the hardest to learn overall in that zone (even beyond Sapphiron and KT), just because it was quite a bit different than anything we'd seen before. Gothik was very demanding though needing things to be very precise, especially when you were first killing it. We'd have one mage missing a frost nova just be a cause for an insta wipe on live side.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Honestly the whole 8 tanks with the requirement (and it was the 4pc everyone complains about) was overblown. We had nights where we didn't have all 8 tanks on and would have a dps warrior or two throw on their old t2 set and tank...even had a paladin act as 1 of the tanks one night (same night the Corrupted Ashbringer dropped for him, believe it or not). The bonus certainly made things a lot more bearable, but wasn't completely necessary with aware players and some backup planning if resists happened.

Still think 4H was the hardest to learn overall in that zone (even beyond Sapphiron and KT), just because it was quite a bit different than anything we'd seen before. Gothik was very demanding though needing things to be very precise, especially when you were first killing it. We'd have one mage missing a frost nova just be a cause for an insta wipe on live side.

Ah ok it was the 4pc, I know we had 8 tanks with that on our first kill. We had a ridiculous number of warriors on our first kill so much that I shooped this for our guild news page:

k4bxrrY.jpg

Maybe we didn't have a lot of trouble with 4H because we were stuck on Gothik so long and got there late in the cycle. I think we had 2 or 3 KT kills total when TBC hit.

Khane

Ah ok it was the 4pc, I know we had 8 tanks with that on our first kill. We had a ridiculous number of warriors on our first kill so much that I shooped this for our guild news page

giphy.gif

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Ah ok it was the 4pc, I know we had 8 tanks with that on our first kill. We had a ridiculous number of warriors on our first kill so much that I shooped this for our guild news page:

k4bxrrY.jpg

Maybe we didn't have a lot of trouble with 4H because we were stuck on Gothik so long and got there late in the cycle. I think we had 2 or 3 KT kills total when TBC hit.

My favorite part of the KT kills right before TBC hit was after the pre-patch when he started dropping shaman rings for us (we were Alliance)