World of Warcraft: Current Year

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Depends on the level of addons allowed or made for vanilla. If the mod makers can make something close to what we have now then no fight through like mop would be a real challenge even for someone who never did them when they were current. If its basic stuff and non intrusive (hi to you drawing on the ground) then I'm sure your average players will still have trouble with vannilla+ bosses. People don't even look at whats going on anymore, everyone plays through their DBM or weakauras.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Pretty much every addon that has ever been made for WoW is archived. The mods around for that specific patch are stored and ready to go, and that's without even factoring in the ones that have been developed for years for emu servers, or the new ones that will be made.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't think your average BFA raider would be able to full clear Naxx because everyone is going to quit by level 34 after getting ass blasted in STV for hours by me because rogues are balanced

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep Mike out of this. It's Kotick all the way. Mike probably saw the writing on the wall more than a year ago and saw he couldn't fight this and said fuck this shit and left. And left at the right time. No one is blaming him for what happened. Mike was last of the old guard. He cared about games and people who played them. Well, as much as someone at the very top could. But as the time went by, corporate swallowed Blizzard whole. I feel worried for SC2 pro scene. It seems like Mike was the only one keeping it going within the company. And now he's gone. SC2 scene will be relegated to community tournaments, maybe IEM and that's it. Pro scene in Korea without KeSPA and Blizzard is done.

Message from Mike Morhaime - Diablo III Forums

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's from 2012...

I think the point is this has been done before, in the name of "keeping things epic and bringing you the best possible games", and the games have gotten worse and worse in spite of that. So now they are doing and saying the same thing in 2019, and it doesn't matter who the figurehead is, Blizzard is big business now. They aren't a gaming company anymore.

The message from J Allen Brack may as well be a cut and paste of that Morhaime statement.

Last edited:

xzi

Mouthbreather
Unlike blizzard in 2012, it was announced that there is nothing coming this year so..

yikes

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I feel like WoTLK was the pinnacle of raid design. Ulduar and ICC in particular. In Ulduar you had the optional hard modes that you could decide to go for on a per fight basis. ICC had separate difficulties but had the stacking buff. I don't think it gets better than Ulduar but the ICC implementation isn't far behind. Instead we get 4 goddamn raid difficulties with incentives to do all 4 (Legion had Legendary BLP and BfA has Azerite scrapping for residuum). The entire system sucks.

Keep LFR and call it "Story Mode" or some shit and then remove the other 3 difficulties and bring back Ulduar design.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think ulduar was the best raid experience too. It's the last raid where I truly enjoyed my time there

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agree, but Throne of Thunder isn't far behind and I'd put it in my top 3 raids of all time in WOW.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Agreed. Ulduar's whole design was amazing. Doing the Flame Leviathan got tiring after a while sure. But the ability to trigger more difficult modes through various mechanisms within the fight was just a really cool and actually very innovative way to do things. It was awesome. Such an amazing dungeon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd agree they made an incredible raid in Ulduar. The ability to turn on the hard mode either by flicking a switch or just beating fights in a certain way within the fight itself and not just by setting the entire raid instance to a certain difficulty was genius. It's funny we praise Wrath for their raid design when really it was just two of their raid instances that was good. Naxx easy mode and the tourney bs sucked. Ulduar and ICC were just so well done it overshadows everything else. I'm still not a fan of everyone being able to just beat every boss so they feel like they accomplished something. Feels like participation trophies. But given how they gate a lot of the story now based on completing the raid zones, a Story Mode is fine.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I just want to 10man with the lads

People always give the reason "It's hard to balance the loot in 10mans" but world quests can give heroic gear so who fucking cares anymore

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
TOC was at least innovative in a way. I really appreciated the arena aspect and how it tied into the story, even if Anub'arak had another setback. It was also bonus/filler content. We also got single boss encounters with Sartharion, Malygos, return of Onyxia, and Halion (even tho no one ever bothered with Halion). There was also the Wintergrasp raid bosses. Ulduar and ICC are ideals to strive for, but it was all the extra stuff from that expansion, too, that made it feel complete and robust. A lot like Legion, which just felt "complete". Story wise, I only wish we'd fought Sargeras directly, not his avatar or his corrupted pantheon member.

Whereas BFA is like, 12.642% of a game. The effort reminds me of what happened to TITAN. Instead of an MMO, we got a shallow shooter with loot boxes...

Also, this shit is fuckin' hilarious.

u1tobPV.png

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just want to 10man with the lads

People always give the reason "It's hard to balance the loot in 10mans" but world quests can give heroic gear so who fucking cares anymore

I mean 10 man is the absolute best way to design encounters that can be both challenging and don't require a project management degree to keep a guild together.

• 1Like

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
They balance Mythic around 20 people, so that is how they make the raid tier. You can raid normal & heroic with 10 people if you like, and mostly succeed. You will struggle on some fights in heroic on occasion due to certain mechanics not being ideal for so few players.

I don't think 10 man mythic raids would be very good. It would be difficult to make them challenging enough. It would also make a few classes completely irrelevant, and I realize that is already the case for some, but it would just further exacerbate this issue.