World of Warcraft: Current Year

Rime

<Donor>
Hrm, I thought if you bought a pet it would only be the level of your highest pet.
If you have not leveled a pet to 25 on your own, you cannot use a level 25 pet in battle, even if you are given/purchase a level 25.

You only ever need to level one to 25, however, then you can buy all of your 25s if you wish.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My point that as much as we would hate it this kind of move is going to be the norm. It is 2014 and as much as we would all love to pretend how badass it would be to go old school all that nostalgia doesn't pay the bills and doesn't get people interested any more from the current generation of gamers.
Levels have always been a cockblock to elder game anyways. It's the same thing as removing them altogether.

The only downside is that you don't get to experience the geography, but I think the genre needs to grow beyond questing as the only incentive to experience a world. So, really, this problem exists regardless of this change.

---

IMO, this would be a cool opportunity to remove all the "Collect X Bear Asses" quests and keep the main story line. Allow players to experience it without any fluff. Not knowing which quests are part of the story and which are fluff has always deterred me from enjoying lore in general.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm also in for Forum Flex run.

I'd suggest downloading the "Oqueue" addon. Whoever ends up leading this can create a raid and password protect it. That way, only people in forum can sign up for it.

All we need now is a Date/Time.

Sign me up for DPS. Retribution Paladin.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Unfortunately, setting a date and time to run a raid is exactly the opposite of why I do flex or even play wow at all these days.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unfortunately, setting a date and time to run a raid is exactly the opposite of why I do flex or even play wow at all these days.
Ive picked up that vibe from you ~ lol. Simple enough, Ive just been taking/sending friend requests and inviting people onto flexes when I go. I like oQueue as another tool to use, but ilvl means shit all for a lot of people it seems. Prime example > Killing Engineer on Garrosh Encounter. So simple, yet its apparently one of the hardest things in the world to do for some people. Just like Standing in Puddles on Malkorok, getting prisons on Sha, or not standing in the huge orange lines on Nazgrim. If anything, just keep people in mind that are on your friends list and invite them.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Bads gonna bad. We were doing Blackfuse on flex yesterday and even though we had a 540 minimum we people doing the LFR "omggogoogogoyololol" shit before conveyer belt was even discussed. Guess who we're the only ones to stand in the drills?

I joined to random guilds to do normal mode and the other night was just listening in on vent while I did work stuff. They kept wiping on Nazgrim when the RL said "It's a big fucking river of fire. Why would you stand in it?"

Think I might look for a new guild.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
New female human models.

Artcraft - A First Look - World of Warcraft

newHF01.jpg

newHF02.jpg

newHF03.jpg

newHF04.jpg

Hi, I'm Chris Robinson, senior art director of World of Warcraft, and this is the first in a series of articles we're creating to bring you all closer to the development of the player character model revamps we announced at BlizzCon. In this series, we'll give you an inside look at the process we go through to do one of these revamps, discuss the kinds of art issues we're addressing with the new models, and provide a bit of insight our future plans for their continued polish.

We're happy to begin our series by sharing a first look at where we're at with the Human female. While future articles won't always be about revealing a new model, we thought this would be a great introduction to the approach we take for every one of these redesigns.

We're looking at these model revamps as a sort of "spiritual update" to the art content that currently exists in-game-except we're completely redoing them from scratch. That includes the base model, skin tone variations, customization options (e.g. wrinkles, scars, moles, earrings, etc.), hairstyles, and any skin variations for NPCs you see out in the world, like Iron Dwarves or Leper Gnomes. We're pretty excited about some of the ideas you've given us for new customization and skin options you'd like to see, but our first goal-which is already a monumental endeavor-is to make sure that the visual content that currently exists is brought up to or surpasses the level of quality you see in current boss models, the Pandaren, and central NPCs like the new Vol'jin model.

With the revamp, we're completely overhauling every aspect of the player models, but our goal is to do so while retaining the core look and feel that has always made them your character. We'll feel like we've succeeded if you see the updated version of your character and it still feels like you're looking at the character you've been playing for the past however many years-only someone has finally focused a lens.

To achieve this, we're increasing the polygon count significantly (in some cases going from less than 1,000 to over 5,000), more than doubling the texture resolution, increasing bone count significantly to support updated animation and facial expression, and retouching nearly every animation for all of the characters. For animation alone, that's roughly 180 animations per character, times 10 races in both male and female variants, equaling approximately 3,600 animations. We're also incorporating the rigging technology we introduced with the Pandaren into every character to provide better posing, smoother animation, and the ability to pull off some fantastic facial expressions. In the weeks and months ahead, we're going to be bringing you in for a closer look at some of the processes, challenges, and results of this revamp process.

What you're looking at here for the Human female is a single face option and a single skin tone on the base model without any animation or posing. When developing the base model we keep the expression on the face as devoid of emotion or expression as possible, as that allows our animators a greater range of motion when they start posing and morphing the face into different expressions. If we were to put any amount of expression-even a slight smile or mildly angry eyebrows-in the base model, that would carry through to every animation, and we'd end up with some very confused-looking characters.

Joe Keller is a senior character artist on our team and was responsible for the lion's share of modeling and texturing the Human female. Here's what he had this to say about this challenge:

"Everyone is pretty familiar with the Human character models in WoW, but working on these updates gives us a chance to embellish and fill in the blanks. For the Human female this meant we could give her more muscle definition and personality in the face while still staying true to the overall look and spirit of the original. Hopefully this will also help show her as more of the capable fighter that she is."
This process has been a welcome challenge for all of us on the World of Warcraft art team. We've all wanted to address the player models and bring them up to a more current fidelity for some time now, and we're as excited as you are to get these models into the game. We hope you'll enjoy this series as we invite you to meet the team and see more on our development process.

Thanks so much, and see you next time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like she got a major tan, that pale look was just not doing it.

Curious if this translates to a lot more robust character creation.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Well I think its safe to say they won't since more than half the races are revealed now and they all look ok.

Human male has gotta be the most played race in the game tho so if they fuck that one up it would suck.