World of Warcraft: Current Year

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I have three pieces of corruption gear, two of which are in my inventory though they are higher ilvl cos fuck that shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Spoiler alert: shadowlands will be full of grindy threadmills that don't matter the patch after, titanbuttfucking will be introduced instead of corruption/titanforging, and there will be even more reps to grind than ever before. Flying will be available mid expac once you grind at least 8 reps to revered.

Also dailies and fucking world quests, everywhere.

Pre order now!

This is better than doing a single quest for a key to enter a dungeon or raid dungeon. Or grinding one rep for mats to summon a raid boss.

Yes.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
mechagon is real fast, naz could be faster though

regardless yeah I imagine it's aids for anybody that skips an expansion

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What, you don't like earning back the feature you already earned but is repeatedly taken away from you as some bullshit excuse for content?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That's the result of creating a feature because it'd market real well I guess. It severely limits your design space so now you have to go through these shenanigans to create stuff.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
And yet they keep putting it back in instead of learning to design their game around it, or just getting rid of it in all future expansions. This half-assed measure along with "We don't like it, but we have no choice but to leave it in" is just horseshit covering up another grind,

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I really don't have a crazy preference. I'd rather flying be removed from the game completely but that can never and will never happen lmao. But I think the system for earning flying in a new expansion is fine... only in the beginning of the expansion though. I feel like a new version of pathfinder should actually just unlock all the past versions though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They tried to remove it permanently with WoD, there was major player backlash. Part of that though, in my opinion, was that WoD was the worst experience on earth on a ground mount. Whoever designed those zones with their "fake" roads up mountains that ended in dead ends needs to be fired. I still have nightmares about Tanaan Jungle on a ground mount.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
And yet they keep putting it back in instead of learning to design their game around it, or just getting rid of it in all future expansions. This half-assed measure along with "We don't like it, but we have no choice but to leave it in" is just horseshit covering up another grind,
Well yeah, it's dumb. I mean I like flying but they designed themselves into a corner here. Just remove it

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That said. Mounts with other benefits like water walk and glide are cool innovations imo.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
What, you don't like earning back the feature you already earned but is repeatedly taken away from you as some bullshit excuse for content?

This is their entire method since... WoD? MoP?

Gain new abilities for an expansion, then lose them for the next one, this way they do not have to 'change' the classes. Look at how they stripped everything down in BfA. Most classes lost the majority of their non-basic abilities, so we could get 'new' powers with Azerite/Corruption/HoA, which we will lose in 9.0.

Compared to EverQuest, where with AA, there are dozens, if not hundreds of 'abilities' per character.

I think, I would still rather the AA style than constantly being pruned, given a bone, then losing it again in 12 months.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I would wager that grinding out unlocking flying each expansion -Often to avoid missing out/needing to do it in future expansions- is one of the most time consuming activities that returning players dedicate themselves to. I'm one of the people that resubs once or twice an expansion and plays for ~2 months each time, and it's definitely one of the biggest timesinks I pursue.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
They tried to remove it permanently with WoD, there was major player backlash. Part of that though, in my opinion, was that WoD was the worst experience on earth on a ground mount. Whoever designed those zones with their "fake" roads up mountains that ended in dead ends needs to be fired. I still have nightmares about Tanaan Jungle on a ground mount.

Yeah pretty much what you said. The problem with WoD is that it was fucking made for flying... it's so insanely vertical with 0 way to get around other than in Gorgrond you could get the goblin shredder that flies for 15 seconds. Admittedly they fixed this problem in Legion - Stormheim grappling hooks were a very solid middleground that still let you traverse the map and not have to run for 5 minutes to get something that's 5 seconds away like they did in WoD

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would wager that grinding out unlocking flying each expansion -Often to avoid missing out/needing to do it in future expansions- is one of the most time consuming activities that returning players dedicate themselves to. I'm one of the people that resubs once or twice an expansion and plays for ~2 months each time, and it's definitely one of the biggest timesinks I pursue.
The intention is to do the expansion 'the regular way' your first time around, and then be able to fly as an added bonus to make things easier later on. People coming back show that this is a bad system for people not subbed perpetually.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
The intention is to do the expansion 'the regular way' your first time around, and then be able to fly as an added bonus to make things easier later on. People coming back show that this is a bad system for people not subbed perpetually.

Exact same thing with Essences imo. They're not particularily hard to get just.. time consuming and not engaging whatsoever. If you come back to an expansion now you're significantly behind without them. I think they're a good system but I hate their acquisition completely on alts/returning players.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This is another poignant point of MMO design. For a game that is at is core a gear treadmill how much should you let new players skip so they get to the new content?

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They were selling flying mounts in the store during WoD. They had no intention of getting rid of them.

Part of their original plan with WoD was to get rid of flying forever. They were also going to make it so the MoP water strider only worked in MoP and the WoD strider only in WoD.

• 1Like