World of Warcraft: Current Year

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The others just suck his dick for whatever money they can make off him
I find his over the top streaming personality obnoxious, but would watch him play as his normal self.

What they are planning is doomed to fail, though, as Blizzard won't let anyone else do any "official" events they can't control. After the Starcraft in South Korea and the DoTA2 thing Blizzard is trying to micromanage anything and everything related to their games in the fear of missing out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I find his over the top streaming personality obnoxious, but would watch him play as his normal self.

What they are planning is doomed to fail, though, as Blizzard won't let anyone else do any "official" events they can't control. After the Starcraft in South Korea and the DoTA2 thing Blizzard is trying to micromanage anything and everything related to their games in the fear of missing out.
Well good news for you he does that. If you don't like the asmonsperg personality, it's a lot more fun to watch

Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/zackrawrr

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya I find myself watching some of his videos on youtube (mostly commenting on other videos by Preach, Bellular, etc) and get a chuckle out of it. His video's where he's himself are also fairly entertaining. I used to despise him but not sure why, it's pretty commendable that he's the most famous wow personality and he's maybe a blue/purple parser at best. Cult of personality indeed I suppose. Plus, he involves his stream better than any streamer I've ever seen and that endears the streamer and buys a ton of equity going forward.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Never understood this.

People enjoyed the Diablo 2 and Vanilla WoW talent trees plenty.

If you feel like everyone makes the same choice, improve the choices. If you can't top the previous ultimate skills for your new expansion, make the tree wider or add a 4th tree.

No instead lets just make the tree really basic and no more "multiclassing" choosing things from different trees.
I think this was more a change for the masses of plebs that started playing wow to dumb things down to the lowest common dummy, and not because there was no "choices" in the trees. They now realize that if you do this the game becomes drab.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Like in Vanilla WoW Rogues can choose between something like 5% Crit or 5% Dodge. Hmmm....

Make it be 5% Crit vs 10% Extra Crit Damage and now you got a choice.

Design a skill around being beneficial if you crit often with it (stacking armor penetration per crit) and beneficial if you crit big (next ability does extra damage scaling with how big the hit was). Now you got something to build your character around too.

Another issue is ability bloat, instead of introducing new abilities all the time and then needing to prune them, just add features to existing abilities.

They have really shit game systems designers at Blizzard.

Their bright idea for Systemlands was to add Conduits, which forces you to make even more of these dumb small choices. I don't even want to know how much development time went into creating X amount of Conduits times the number of classes there are.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Their bright idea for Systemlands was to add Conduits, which forces you to make even more of these dumb small choices. I don't even want to know how much development time went into creating X amount of Conduits times the number of classes there are.
Looks like shit, talent trees were exciting because you worked your way to the spec defining skills, not because of the filler options.

Now specs are just a choice you make and every progression system is filler options. Epic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Honestly... the talent trees in WoW were never exciting. Talent trees do not belong in MMOs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
the talent trees in WoW were never exciting.
They didn't have to be. They were intended as "get an increase in power of your liking every level while out in the field, until you can get to your class trainer for your new spells" type of thing.

With that goal they worked somewhat well.

Khane

No, talent trees in an MMO are a complete failure. They are the result of devs thinking they could hybridize MMO and ARPG. They are the singular reason you could invite a certain class to your group and not actually know what you were getting. The original incarnation of talent trees in vanilla WoW were a complete and total disaster. And while they tried and tried to make them better over time they never actually succeeded.

They should never exist in an MMO

Xerge

<Donor>
WoW died for me when I logged in, and was forced to pick a 'role' and 'specialization'. Suddenly everything was placed on my bars and there was no choice in which talents I chose, as the choices were more stuck in mud than ESO end game meta builds. Then they went ahead and pruned abilities and turned it into farmville 2.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
WoW died for me when I logged in, and was forced to pick a 'role' and 'specialization'. Suddenly everything was placed on my bars and there was no choice in which talents I chose, as the choices were more stuck in mud than ESO end game meta builds. Then they went ahead and pruned abilities and turned it into farmville 2.
Cool, but that’s because the game adapted to internet information in a competitive pve environment where balancing is required.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Talent trees were a great idea but it always boiled down to “play the style you want!” or “play the one actual functional cookie cutter build that tops everything else”

Khane

Talent trees were a great idea but it always boiled down to “play the style you want!” or “play the one actual functional cookie cutter build that tops everything else”

They weren't a great idea. They were a novel idea. And novelty doesn't always work out.

Xerge

<Donor>
Cool, but that’s because the game adapted to internet information in a competitive pve environment where balancing is required.
100% agreed, it was bound to go in that direction no matter what. However some flexibility is desired and welcomed. I enjoy doing my own thing for certain content(ESO does this well while questing) and then min/max for end game.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
In beta I had the impression they were aiming at some improved AA system, your basic set you got from leveling, then more advanced stuff for endgame, as it was fleshed out. hunters hadn't been added by this point yet, forget what stage. I'm not sure if that was an actual plan that got left behind, or just rumour at the time.

I would have liked a more complex system, but a nightmare to balance for any game that blends pvp/pve, and it would get worse if players expected new ones each xpac. Still would have been more fun, it is supposed to be an mmoRPG, not Call of Orcs 23.