World of Warcraft: Current Year

Salshun_sl

shitlord
its not like facerolling through the current leveling content made you a good player as it is.
True, but everyone serious about end game raiding reaches that point where for some reason all the heirloom gear and icy-veins strats in the world wont help you faceroll an encounter. That's when you either become good at what you do or you don't. Good players are out there, the game just doesn't require a lick of that shit until the very end.

lanludar

Silver Squire
Pretty much this.

I have no delusions that LFR raids are far from the "real" thing, but I find it odd that while I can understand that, others seem completely incapable of understanding how more difficult fights does not mean experiencing more?

Just because a fights harder, doesn't mean I've seen less of the game lore or content? I suppose technically I have, since I've not seen fight mechanics you have, and that's certainly part of the game.

But does Garrosh, or any other boss say something different on LFR versus other modes? Are any of the cut scenes different?

If not, then LFR is perfect for exactly what I wanted to do. See the raid, see the cutscenes, and move on. Now having scene that, and gotten a few gear upgrades, my want for better gear, and to beat out others in HPS or DPS, is what's driving me now, but originally LFR was perfect for what I wanted.

Edit for Typos
You don't see any cutscenes in ToT LFR. Guess they decided to add that for SoO so they could actually tow that line about letting everyone see the storylines.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet. OQueue is borked. The waitlist function doesn't really work anymore. Apparently Blizz has posted that they are working on a fix that would restore the functionality that OQueue used to do so.

Also the RAF mounts disappeared.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Dumar gave Blizzard money

rrr_img_60499.gif

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I fail to see how they correlate.
You're railing against the very same thing that brought you joy. Becoming insular and "running over poor saps" with your guild. I guess WoW is different, or doesn't correlate because it doesn't allow for content denial?

kudos

<Banned>
You're railing against the very same thing that brought you joy. Becoming insular and "running over poor saps" with your guild. I guess WoW is different, or doesn't correlate because it doesn't allow for content denial?
WoW is different because you sit in an instance away from the rest of the server population. Insular is sitting in an instance with the same 9 shitheads every day for years because you have no reason to see anyone else in the game, ever.

Hence why the "journey" was more fun in EQ. It had a more lasting outcome and effected more people.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I would think offering it for $20 would be a better price point. Start a new character and toss in $20 to get to 90. $60 seems prohibitive.
You are thinking scientificially. Marketing sez you start at 60, then quarterly do a 24.99 sale.. Push that supply and demand angle!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
WoW is different because you sit in an instance away from the rest of the server population. Insular is sitting in an instance with the same 9 shitheads every day for years because you have no reason to see anyone else in the game, ever.

Hence why the "journey" was more fun in EQ. It had a more lasting outcome and effected more people.
I can follow that. Though, if you have nine other shit heads that you're with for years in a single raid group... then fucking "Kudos" to you! You have to admit that the steps they are taking "now" are getting in the direction ofnotbeing "insular." In that, anything up to Normal can be pugged reliably and for the most part... successfully. Garrosh is the only boss that has handed me my ass more than I have handed him his.

Juvarisx

Florida
You don't see any cutscenes in ToT LFR. Guess they decided to add that for SoO so they could actually tow that line about letting everyone see the storylines.
Lore wise they are pretty much the same, I'd argue that scaling back mechanics makes for less content if for no other reason you spend less time on it. ToT had a boss only accessible after killing heroic Lei Shen (who was still harder then Garrosh), and Garrosh had an extra phase in Stormwind Harbour. Its just such a massive difference between other modes and heroic modes now they are essentially entirely new fights once you hit the top. Its no longer add x damage and y hp.

Personally I could care less about standing out in a crowd, and you certainly don't, but I never cared back in EQ either so maybe its just a overall mentality. As for just the same 24 others over the years, I guess in a way that is true but EQ really could be that insular as well if you chose to be that way.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
If they got rid of the sub fee I would start playing immediately. As vanilla as wow has become, its still a fun multiplayer game. I just can't justify paying a sub fee for something I'd play once a week. With lfr, easy mode raids, etc... its more like a dungeon crawler with a graphical chat room than an mmo.. I have no issues paying for the game.. just not a sub.

Needless

Toe Sucker
and what exactly are you willing to pay for then? a list of things you wouldn't actually purchase so you can just play it for free? lol

Lenaldo

Not sure where you are going with this? Clearly the micro transaction business model is a strong one. I also play LoL and pay nothing... yet they seem to be making plenty of money.

I'd be completely fine with them adding an in game store that took money... similar to guildwars2. I think in its current state, wow just isn't a sub worthy game. However, its a great freemium game.

Needless

Toe Sucker
League works because they can push out a new or rare skin/costume and make huge money off of it. WoW doesn't really have that opportunity being an MMO so they would need another alternative.
Obviously they could have "real money" transmog items like they already do, but i really don't see that being an effective market for the type of game it is heh.

It's not an easy thing to just remove subs and still make an even remote amount of what they currently pull in.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
League works because they can push out a new or rare skin/costume and make huge money off of it. WoW doesn't really have that opportunity being an MMO so they would need another alternative.
Obviously they could have "real money" transmog items like they already do, but i really don't see that being an effective market for the type of game it is heh.

It's not an easy thing to just remove subs and still make an even remote amount of what they currently pull in.
Sure they can, if Wow followed Rifts model of free to play and their subs actually gave something raiders/pvpers wanted then it would be no issue. It all depends on how its implemented.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They would have to lock bank and bag slots behind a pay wall, perhaps charge money for raid access (one time flag), charge money for xpacs, keep the services they have, and probably sell character slots. It could be done, but it'd take some time.

Lenaldo

There's lots of stuff they can do. Release extra character slots for money... raid content as a "dlc" essentially. I think if done right it would lead to far more revenue... mainly because the freemium model really seems to work well in all genres. Just a thought

Needless

Toe Sucker
Oh i'm not disagreeing by any means, I was just curious as to what you guys figured would be a viable F2P system for WoW.
Even EQ had to undo a lot of restrictions they had on their free accounts

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I personally think there's no way at 7.8 million subs that a f2p model would outdo that steady slice of income.