World of Warcraft: Current Year

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wiped 3 times on Cromwell 8 until I fully figured out the gameplan.

This was after reading information on how to handle Cromwell. 8 is definitely a challenge if you have never fought him before. Everyone said a month ago to tune down Cromwell but it hasn't happened yet.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wiped 3 times on Cromwell 8 until I fully figured out the gameplan.

This was after reading information on how to handle Cromwell. 8 is definitely a challenge if you have never fought him before. Everyone said a month ago to tune down Cromwell but it hasn't happened yet.

Not sure I've had him as a boss yet. Since the nerfs every 8 I've run has been stupid easy.

Daidraco

Since the nerfs, layer 8 is stupid easy. But the bosses are hit and miss depending on which one you get and your class/spec, respectively. The slow is on a 10 second CD with a 3 second cast. If you havent rolled shit anima powers exclusively, you should be able to kite > burst > kite > burst. I plowed through him like paper on my prot pally, but I died a couple times on a friends Mage. So I can see how some classes could have just glanced over him. On the Mage the first time I went in balls deep. The second time I was trying to catch the rhythm of the slows but wasnt using blink productively, etc. Third time I got it down pat.

Looking forward to Twisting Corridor so I can finally see a real challenge on the Paladin that isnt due to trash fear placing me on the very tip of a ledge and having something knock me off for a Mortal Kombat finisher.

Merrith

Yeah I just thought they had hit all the really badly tuned bosses already, guess one at least slipped through

Daidraco

Yeah I just thought they had hit all the really badly tuned bosses already, guess one at least slipped through
I personally dont think Cromwell is hard, just a boss.. like any other boss, that you have to learn. A person playing a class that isnt self sufficient and has probably died 2-3 times on the way to that boss and then has to learn that bosses mechanics is probably going to go straight to the forums and complain about how its too hard when they fail the dungeon. Where as their second playthrough, they likely know exactly how to do it.

I would rather they have went the route of not tuning everything to the lowest common denominator playing the worst tuned classes in the expansion. Adding more class specific anima powers to help them get self sufficient, only, would have been a much better route. Though the HP nerf was really a needed thing all around cause that shit was ridiculous before it.

Merrith

I personally dont think Cromwell is hard, just a boss.. like any other boss, that you have to learn. A person playing a class that isnt self sufficient and has probably died 2-3 times on the way to that boss and then has to learn that bosses mechanics is probably going to go straight to the forums and complain about how its too hard when they fail the dungeon. Where as their second playthrough, they likely know exactly how to do it.

I would rather they have went the route of not tuning everything to the lowest common denominator playing the worst tuned classes in the expansion. Adding more class specific anima powers to help them get self sufficient, only, would have been a much better route. Though the HP nerf was really a needed thing all around cause that shit was ridiculous before it.

Obviously there is a lot of that sort of thing, but there were some bosses that were just genuinely overtuned for certain specs/classes. No surprise Blizzard doesn't always account for differences in interrupt CD's, stuns, etc. Also just range of anima powers, certain specs can just get broken af combos while others have a lot of lackluster options.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider

They put themselves in a no win situation by having people spend 45 minutes grinding health bars only to get to the end and receive nothing for the time. During the brief time they had buffed it I got to the 5th floor boss on the seventh layer and got chain gunned down. When I went back later to do it again I was less than thrilled about having to do all the same shit over again. The rng is too wild for things to be too hard. I have gotten to final floor bosses doing 10k dps as a blood DK and also gotten there still doing not much more than 2k. Tuning to shit rng powers is probably the best way. Decent challenge if you got unlucky and god mode when you radiate death coils during lichborne that has pretty much no cooldown.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
As an arms warrior, I am for die by the sword cd decreasers and duration increasers, IP increase and place to apply DBS , ms cd decreasers damage increase, execute at any time after 30 uses, and increase rage gen.

Makes life easy through that place.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Oh and all the self healing I can, such as Whirlwind heal on damage done, berserker rage healing while active and increasing its duration... etc.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
At this point I'm just running Torghast 3s solo and not bothering with anything else unless I don't have anything else to play. Life is too short to bother stressing out over Soul Ash given I have nothing I can use it for and won't for the forseeable future.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since the nerfs the past couple weeks I've been able to pretty easily solo up to level 5 as Arms, anything beyond that is pointless and I just partner with someone for ezmode.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I duo Torghast (she's a disc priest, I'm a fury warrior, both Kyrian Covenant, both in the 178-180 iLevel range). And we plowed Cromwell 8 pretty easily. What is it that keeps killing/frustrating so many?

Daidraco

Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I duo Torghast (she's a disc priest, I'm a fury warrior, both Kyrian Covenant, both in the 178-180 iLevel range). And we plowed Cromwell 8 pretty easily. What is it that keeps killing/frustrating so many?
I looked it up yesterday. A lot of people trap themselves in the blood puddles and never realize that they can kite down to the lower level. Some classes have limited interrupt capabilities and long spell casts on top of that. Again, its not hard.. just have to learn what works best against him if your class isnt retard strong.

Daidraco

Dont ask me why I like this no name youtube guy, but his summary of this week is pretty quick w/o much BS (which might be why I like it).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Week 5 of no world boss loot after an Uldur clear with 2 pieces with one being a cloak which was also my time walking reward and is also 10 ilevels lower than my legendary cloak. They need to bring back those chance coins for people forsaken by RNJesus.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finished the first wing of twisted corridors most of it was really easy but the end boss was pretty legit. I had like 110 anima powers but still managed to die once on end boss. I imagine I will need to gear up more for anything past probably level 3 or get in a group. Monks are weird my best DPS mode is spamming vivify on myself which just is awkward as a windwalker.

Merrith

Finished the first wing of twisted corridors most of it was really easy but the end boss was pretty legit. I had like 110 anima powers but still managed to die once on end boss. I imagine I will need to gear up more for anything past probably level 3 or get in a group. Monks are weird my best DPS mode is spamming vivify on myself which just is awkward as a windwalker.

Yeah I was laughing at how easy the first wing was all the up until final boss, and that took a little effort. Wasn't hard, but actually had to stay on top of stuff and had a good bit of total health.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man Blood feels pretty bad right now. I can't imagine how Prot Warriors feel...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Just finished layer 4 of Twisting. Have been chipping away at it since.. 12 or 1. Layer 1 was quick, 2 was quicker, three was a slog (I didnt roll very good damage anima's until much later in the layer). Layer 4 seemed slower than layer 1, but faster than layer 3 with bad anima rolls early. I have Ve'Nari done, so I have plenty of choices for Anima Powers usually - which basically let me figure out which anima powers to prioritize and which ones to skip. Surprisingly, there are a few where the damage caps out far too early and they become a bit weak towards floor 16. Once you get about 75 Anima Powers, the pool of available options is really small and you end up getting undesirable stuff and %secondaries. Finished layer 3 with 96 Anima Powers, 411k hp, and 13448 armor.

Biggest take away is that it takes entirely too long to go through 18 floors, even if 4 or 5 of them are done in 5 minutes or less. As far as Anima Powers, when you have the entire bucket of them to choose from - you quickly see that the powers are really shallow. For Prot Pally, buffing Avenging Wrath and molding everything around Wrath is your strongest option and really, your only option. I didnt care for Torghast before this, and Twisting Corridor didnt change my mind.

Couple things they could do towards fixing Torghast to make it more enjoyable is:
1. Base movement speed without any anima powers should be at least 30%-50% more.
2. Floor design is just too large. Cut each ones size in half, at least.
3. Weaken mobs and condense them. If you're just rolling from pack to pack, a lot of the monotony is just not noticeable.
4. Put some flare into the bosses and mini bosses each floor. Each one is relatively simple, and only difficult through higher damage, higher HP, with progressively quicker casting/attacking. Hell, they could have ripped the bosses out of old raid content and used them and it would have been wildly more popular.
5. Floor design, even though they match a corridor in style, is just.. boring and predictable. If they pulled old raid mobs into Torghast and used them as the bosses (which even matches the lore, kind of) then they could match the floor to them. Instead of what we have now, with a little star wars pedestal giving us a hologram of what to expect.
6. Take out or consolidate a lot of redundant anima powers and put in anima powers that are related to the boss mobs that you fight. If Im on a floor with Molten Core mobs, give me anima powers that are a fire shield, fire attacks, etc. Since RNG put me into a corridor with Molten Core mobs, then one of the following floors should be Fire Lands related. That way the powers have another chance to grow.

Thats just a few ideas that I randomly thought of and quite honestly.. it didnt take much effort to even think of how to keep Torghast roguelike, but stay firm with WoW's identity. Hell, they had the perfect opportunity with Torghast AND the Maw to reuse art assets and it be okay. Even more so if they wanted to rip particle effects away from old raid mobs/bosses and use them as the particle effects for the floor related anima powers.

As a side note, I would love it if they went this far for Druid and covenants:
e7l01l3ycl961.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users