World of Warcraft: Current Year

Fucker

Log Wizard
Considering only NINETY FIVE US DH's have hit 2k rating in 2's, I'm not sure where you're coming from. Guess you're just a god at the class comparatively, but the numbers dont lie:

htr.gif

Dalien

Registered Hodor
People on an EQ forum think WoW players don't actually like PvP.

Weird.

I promise you that Blizzard has way different metrics that say you're wrong. You're overgeneralizing your very narrow opinion to the general WoW population. That you have a bunch of people on this forum who will agree with you is just indicative of how inbred this forum is with regards to perspectives on MMOs.

I think you're missing the point. I'm sure they have metrics that show "MOST PVP PARTICIPATION EVER!!!1!" but that doesn't mean all these players actually like doing it. In fact their "metrics" should show the opposite - that there's a huge drop off in participation as soon as people get the items they need.

PvP has a good reward structure this time around; it's one of the things they did right. Need a 197 weapon? Come jerk off in 27 AVs in a row and you can have one, guaranteed. So yeah, people will suffer through it even if they don't like it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
People on an EQ forum think WoW players don't actually like PvP.

Weird.

I promise you that Blizzard has way different metrics that say you're wrong. You're overgeneralizing your very narrow opinion to the general WoW population. That you have a bunch of people on this forum who will agree with you is just indicative of how inbred this forum is with regards to perspectives on MMOs.
People on an EQ forum who have been playing WoW for longer than they played EQ.

Weird that you bring think they still have an EQ mentality when most of the people here quit playing it 14+ years ago.

Well, not weird. Just Mist things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I promise you that Blizzard has way different metrics that say you're wrong.
If there is anything that we know since the days of Ultima Online and the Trammel/Felucca split, it's that wolves don't want to kill other wolves. They want sheep.

Also, here's a rant why Blizzard's metrics are bullshit:

1. Blizzard makes easy gear upgrades available through PvP, parallel to the raid/M+ gear, and especially for weapons.
2. Players min/max their time invested to returns, and then decide that the way to go is PvP.
3. Because PvE players suck at PvP they buy boosts. This opens multiple other cans of worms, like botting, token prices and RMT.
4. Blizzard says "look at all the players now enjoying PvP! Clearly everyone is enjoying it! We did a good job!"
5. Everyone got their upgrade and stops playing PvP.
6. pikachu.jpg

The same happened with world quests. "They like them so much that we have to timegate them!"

This isn't the only area. Maybe a personal pet peeve of mine, but look at healer representation in M+ right now: For multiple expansions mistweaver monks complained that they have only one group heal in their kit with a cooldown of 12 seconds (and a talent that improves it ... the longer it stays off cooldown). But Blizzard responds "lol, the numbers in my spreadsheet says you are fine", then they "bring us the data", and after compiling the data the new response has been "we value individual experiences instead of compiled data."

It's like arguing with an mentally ill child that always shifts goalposts. At this poing in time they should just outright delete the spec and do a second DD spec. Maybe one without bugs you have to exploit to be be competitive.

Remember when the shadowpriests voidform was so balanced that you could stack gear to keep the form going forever? Blizzard's response to that was "your data is wrong and you are lying."

Blizzard's metrics and data are worth shit, and they draw the wrong conclusions from it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Blizzard's metrics and data are worth shit, and they draw the wrong conclusions from it.
One only has to look at BFA and SL to know this statement is completely true. They don't know what they are measuring or how to interpret their data in any meaningful way.

FFS, all they have to do is play the game to know they've got things ass backwards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I know a ton of people who don't raid at all, and only log in to do RBGs and Arena and maybe 1 key a week.

WoW is still a big game with a lot of players, your personal experience and that of your small circle of jaded MMO player friends may not be the same as other people's.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I know a ton of people

your small circle of jaded MMO player friends

You are trying to contrast your personal anecdotes to my personal anecdotes, but at the same time I'd like to point out that Blizzard acknowledged that Arena matchmaking had to be fixed.

Also, why are they trying to entice people who like raiding and M+ into PvP with a tasty gear carrot, when clearly the players you know (who seem to like PvP) don't feel the need to do raids or M+.

Cybsled

Didn’t they do this in Legion? Part of your weapon chain involved running battlegrounds and you had to suffer through that shit getting steamrolled?

FFXIV tries to do the same (entice people to pvp with glamours or currency/xp), but most people hate doing it and only do it from the need to get the goodies, then they quit PvP.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Considering only NINETY FIVE US DH's have hit 2k rating in 2's, I'm not sure where you're coming from. Guess you're just a god at the class comparatively, but the numbers dont lie:

95 may be a large proportion of the US playbase though.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I personally despise PvP but it was by far the best way to gear early on in the expansion. Our guild had someone who could carry if needed to 1800 so I just did that, earned enough conquest to buy all the needed pieces and haven't PvP'd since. PvP is no better or worse then it's ever been, the only improvement to it is the gearing system. Gearing through PvP is way too strong atm.

I'd probably do some PvP if they had a ranked solo queue. That might be mildly interesting. The current setup though is not appealing to me at all.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Blizzard only cares that you're a) paying your sub and b) queueing for content so there's a critical mass of players for that content to fire off.

They don't give a shit why, and they really shouldn't. WoW is just a fucking skinner box; why the rats pull the levers doesn't matter.

PS: Free Will is an illusion.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
That "fix" only applies to people bumping up against 3000 MMR.
Because: "Shadowlands has seen tremendous participation in Arena with the number of unique players and total matches exceeding those seen in recent seasons. As some have noted, this level of participation has had some unintended effects at the very top of the ladder."

PS: Free Will is an illusion.
Have you tried turning yourself off and on again?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Because: "Shadowlands has seen tremendous participation in Arena with the number of unique players and total matches exceeding those seen in recent seasons. As some have noted, this level of participation has had some unintended effects at the very top of the ladder."
What is your point here? That tons of people are playing Arena, like I said?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That "fix" only applies to people bumping up against 3000 MMR. The other portion is something that has been in place for 7 years already.

There was a problem with very high ilevel players hanging around 1400-1500 for a time. This was a weird season.

For a period of the early to mid season you'd have a group of 170s against max ilevel progression players. This made the game unfun for a lot of people in RBG's. And it wasn't just a handful of experiences it was widespread. This is likely because of hardcore PVE'ers doing their cap/weekly. A symptom of the "popularity of PvP". The ratings had a lot of wonky things going on and the MMR sucked maybe hardest out of all the expacs. PUG RBG's sucked if you weren't bleeding edge on gear. Healers especially.

I think they activated ilevel scaling again, right? I felt like I saw a patch note that said ilevel scaling is making a return at a later date. Can't recall.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There was a problem with very high ilevel players hanging around 1400-1500 for a time. This was a weird season.

For a period of the early to mid season you'd have a group of 170s against max ilevel progression players. This made the game unfun for a lot of people in RBG's. And it wasn't just a handful of experiences it was widespread. This is likely because of hardcore PVE'ers doing their cap/weekly. A symptom of the "popularity of PvP". The ratings had a lot of wonky things going on and the MMR sucked maybe hardest out of all the expacs. PUG RBG's sucked if you weren't bleeding edge on gear. Healers especially.

I think they activated ilevel scaling again, right? I felt like I saw a patch note that said ilevel scaling is making a return at a later date. Can't recall.
I think you have no idea what you're talking about. The only reason high ilevel players would get stuck at 1500 is if they're extremely mediocre at PvP, nothing to do with matchmaking, other than 1500 being the hump in the MMR bell curve.

ilvl scaling has not returned as of yet and I don't see any indication that it will. I'm not sure if ilvl matters for matchmaking but I really don't think that it does.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

You first bitch.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You first bitch.
Just because a class/spec is unpopular does not mean it's not good. If everyone on forums/class discord is telling you that a class and/or spec isn't good in pvp, most people aren't going to try.

I got fucking wrecked by a 2200+ MMR Outlaw/Disc team once.

Outfuckinglawl.