World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chris

Potato del Grande
Watched the Sylvanas vs Tyrande cinematic. Utter horseshit and I'm not even someone who typically gives a toss about the whole Night Elf melodrama engine.
What is even the point of it? I'm playing the game, not Tyrande and Sylvanas.

It's a waste of something that could have been a cool phase transition in the raid, like when Maiev helps you fight Illidan in Burning Crusade.

Also Tyrande was an Archer in Warcraft 3, has she ever used a Bow in WoW?

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
FFXIV definitely takes some getting used to. But getting over that hump isn't that bad for WOW players (myself included) and it becomes better and better as you unlock the breadth of its content. Which is simply staggering and enjoyable.

Pretty easy to see why the casual WOW player is enticed. FFXIV caters to them a ton and realizes that casuals are their primary audience. Compared to retail WOW, which does not at all.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What is even the point of it? I'm playing the game, not Tyrande and Sylvanas.

This is the crux of the current failure of WoW. The player is the "hero of ages" who has managed to defeat gods and save the planet many times over...but is also some schmuck that perpetually takes a back seat to the narrative of a bunch of twats from a 20 year old game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Lmao I remember for all 12 weeks or so of Shadowlands that I played, every single Tuesday was a fucking shitshow for the first 2 hours of servers being up. Constantly being stuck on flight paths and being dropped to your death outside Oribos. Every. Tuesday. For. 3. Months.

Small indie company.

My shadowlands technical performance was damn near flawless, launch day, patch days, whatever. Game ran great, that wasn’t the problem.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
FFXIV definitely takes some getting used to. But getting over that hump isn't that bad for WOW players (myself included) and it becomes better and better as you unlock the breadth of its content. Which is simply staggering and enjoyable.

Pretty easy to see why the casual WOW player is enticed. FFXIV caters to them a ton and realizes that casuals are their primary audience. Compared to retail WOW, which does not at all.

Takes some getting used to is putting it mildly. I bought all the latest and greatest skips and even the most recent expansion was a bore for me. The combat is just painfully bad/slow and no matter how many people swear the story is good I just can’t give two fucks about running to 85 different cutscenes.

• 2Moron
  • 2Dislike
  • 1WTF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is the crux of the current failure of WoW. The player is the "hero of ages" who has managed to defeat gods and save the planet many times over...but is also some schmuck that perpetually takes a back seat to the narrative of a bunch of twats from a 20 year old game.
They do a shit job with Thrall and them interacting with the player. Tyrande and Sylvanas would have fought over whatever bullshit they're doing regardless of your input.

There's zero connection with the player characters.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Watched the Sylvanas vs Tyrande cinematic. Utter horseshit and I'm not even someone who typically gives a toss about the whole Night Elf melodrama engine.
l o l this was horrible. Its like someone watched Superman or something.

Im always so baffled whenever I see shit stories in movies/games/tv. The story is the absolute easiest and cheapest aspect when it comes to making content. You can work on it years in advance so theres no reason why it should be bad yet sooo much media has dogshit stories.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was the new mega dungeon available in beta? Curious to know how that looks because the concept sounds cool and everyone always wants BRD-like dungeons again.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the new dungeon is the only thing that looks remotely interesting in this patch.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Mega Dungeon which is M+ only and thus inaccessible to the filthy casuals.

• 2Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mega Dungeon which is M+ only and thus inaccessible to the filthy casuals.
Get good. I'm sure it's not that hard, probably the equivalent of an M+8, hard mode bosses are probably like a +15.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Get good. I'm sure it's not that hard, probably the equivalent of an M+8, hard mode bosses are probably like a +15.

Running Mythic-anything is not my idea of fun at this point and certainly not worth paying money to do. Put a heroic-version or have Mythic-0 as a LFG-tool thing and maybe it'd be worth it, but otherwise its a hard-pass.

Its like people who go on vacation to places like Disney just to wait in line for 5 hours for a single ride. Just... why?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure it's not that hard, probably the equivalent of an M+8, hard mode bosses are probably like a +15.
I think for casuals it is both the perception of difficultiy (in the more casual end of the playerbase), and the perception they have of the toxicity in the M+ playing part of the community.

For the first part: This is entirely Blizzards fault. Mythic 0 is basically as hard as the heroics in WotLK at the beginning were, you just can't fuck up mechanics/dance moves. However, and this is where Blizzard really, really fucked up: Things get additional abilities in Mythic. It's one thing to read about it in the dungeon journal, but something else entirely to see it in action. For what it is worth, casuals are the part of the playerbase who do not watch guides for bosses/dungeons on Youtube.

As for the perceived toxicity associated with anything "Mythic+", this is both the fault of Blizzards and the players. Making things more difficult by running against a clock is just the MMO equivalent of Crossfit. Sure, a certain target audience has fun doing it, but it is not for everyone. I guess getting yelled at is part and parcel with the Crossfit experience.

• 5Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really don't know what you fucking people want other than to bitch at this point.

Can't make anything hard for any segment of the playerbase or you'll piss people off.

Can't make content too easy or it'll just feel like a unchallenging chore.

You want a game that's 17 years old that's both fun and original and yet also neither too hard nor too easy to anyone that's been playing the entire time or someone who just started playing last month.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I still remember how many people QQed about dying to Heroic Loken back in 2008 in Wrath. Loken had exactly one mechanic when he does his supernova run to the back of the room.

People died to it constantly. lolololol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really don't know what you fucking people want other than to bitch at this point.

Can't make anything hard for any segment of the playerbase or you'll piss people off.

Can't make content too easy or it'll just feel like a unchallenging chore.

You want a game that's 17 years old that's both fun and original and yet also neither too hard nor too easy to anyone that's been playing the entire time or someone who just started playing last month.
They already have the difficulties though. Give the normies their basic dungeon so they don't have to do heroic/mythic. Problem solved.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How hard is the new dungeon? Does anyone even know? I know there's a hard mode and a normal mode...

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
And has to collect some old moldy trinkets for some random schmuck in a tiny village. Because reasons. And the schmuck apparently has a better weapon than the one you looted from one the most important Lieutenant of the Old Gods last year, but he's ready to give it to you for moldy trinkets from the fields over the hill next door.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>

I'll try to explain it from a different angle:

Adding dungeon finder (and later LFR) has trained the casuals for years, that this is how you queue up for instanced content. Mythic difficulty does not have any of that. Casuals hate the perception of "rejection", also they do not "apply" to guilds, as that would make it look like they look for employment.

Another topic, the dance moves for the encounters, come back to one of my pet peeves about the game: consistent visual language what the game challenges you with, and how it wants you to solve the problem at hand.

One example is Halkias in Halls of Atonement: In Mythic he gets "Light of Atonement", where you have to stay inside at all times. Casuals did not see this in normal and heroic, so they mostly have no idea that this was ever going to happen.