World of Warcraft: Current Year

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It just doesn't make any sense to me. If you're going to release an unfinished or possibly broken expansion, why give it away by saying you'll release it sooner if its finished or on 12/20 regardless. That's what it sounds like to me but of course this is Blizzard so we might not see this thing until 2015 and no one would be surprised.

Chakravartin_sl

shitlord
50 bucks for the xpac? Selling gear & levels? They're really good at conditioning their player base to take it steadily deeper in the ass over time, and ask for more

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hate to say it but even out of the gate that's $50 of a lot more content compared to most $60 single player games. I make myself feel sick apologizing for them as they Scrooge McDuck all day.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
True. $65. I've paid $60 for some games and got nothing out of it. WoW's not a bad entertainment deal if you don't just stay subbed.

Apologies for my horrible sentence structure. Typing fast on a phone.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That gives them another Blizzcon to release some new cool stuff and let people play test! It'll be like 2011 Blizzcon though, where so many already had played Cata beta, that no one wanted to play it at Blizzcon. lol

As much as it sucks for people that are already long since fully geared out all of their toons, for someone like me that's late to the party, this is good news. Will give me time to catch up on everything, and get my legendary cloak!

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Fucking disgusting. Worse than EA ever thought of being.

I hope you're reading this Pardo or Metzen. I do. You pieces of shit.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Uhhh what??

Expansion released a full calendar year after the last patch of the current expansion? How is that even remotely justified in terms of any rational business strategy?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fall? Bleh. Seriously doubt the "fun" of training 13-15 more monkeys to inflate the team for Mythics is going to last quite that long.

Ah well, maybe I'll get a third heirloom drop by then.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
It's a good strategy if let's say your main competition for the year hasn't announced their release date.

By keeping yours vague you can either wait for them to announce and pop yours a a few weeks early or force them into an early release.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I cant see how this is even remotely a good strategy for a title that is dependent on monthly subs and appeal to mass market casuals. The only way this makes any sense is if their research indicates that enough people are just gonna let it slide and keep up the monthly sub without any new content for a year without cancelling. Personally I would think that people might go "why am I still subbed to this thing??" after 8 months of not logging in, but maybe Blizz is hoping to squeek through as many 6 month auto-renewals as possible.

Why wouldn't they have held 5.4 back a few months if they knew they were at least a year away from WoD?

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I think the fresh 90's will least keep a month or two while people play around with classes they might have never leveled up with transmogs ect. They usually expect a dip in subs between last tier content and the next expansion. The damage control is to A. Minimize the amount of people de-subbing and B. make sure those that do leave come back.

You're not going to keep everyone during the slow-period, You just want to make sure that when they finally do want to give money to someone that they want to give it to you.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I will never understand Blizzard. They upped the cadence of releases for MoP and had four major content updates within a year. And once again the wait for an expansion after the last content release is going to be a year. It's like watching a manic depressive in slow motion.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_62386.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I believe their plan is "They'll buy the D3 expansion, and resub for 6.0 to fiddle with things/prepare for expansion. That's like 5 months right?!"